Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PICKINI V4 - an easy to build, self adjusting PI detector

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BC547
    replied
    Check the power supply from PICKit 3 - 5VDC to the microcontroller.

    Leave a comment:


  • ripsdevala
    replied
    Your configuration is same with my clone pickit, try another chip, maybe you have defect one

    Leave a comment:


  • morganton
    replied
    Originally posted by reptooyep View Post
    Hi,
    I've just received my pickit 3 with adapter board.
    I've installed MPLAB IDE v3.50, MP X LAB IPE v3.50 and PICKIT 3 v3.01.
    I did not try yet mikroC but i'm not sure my unit is working properly :
    When i lauch pickit3 and search for device, i get a message : "Unsupported part (ID=2740)"
    and in the DEVICE FAMILY menu, the PIC16F does not exist.
    The adapter board is set up as written on (DIP14 : J1=B, J2=2-3, J3=2-3).
    I can't find anything about this on the NET but maybe i'm searching with the wrong keywords.
    Thanks for help
    I'll try to help.

    When you start the Pickit 3 software, you need to have already had the PIC in it's socket. The software then automatically picks it up.

    If you did have the PIC already installed and the software is not picking it up, you may be missing the configuration file for the 16F1824. See post 215 above about how to install it. Although I wrote it up about the Pickit 2 programmer, I think the Pickit 3 works about the same. Just rename the file to the appropriate name for the Pickit3 and copy it to the applicable directory. You may need a different file than the one I used. Google it for the Pickit3 if that is the case.

    To find the PIC from the dropdown list, also see post 215 above. It think it's also about the same as the Pickit 2.

    Hope that helps.

    Edited to state that the configuration file may be different for the Pickit3 than the one mentioned in post 215 above.

    Leave a comment:


  • reptooyep
    replied
    Hi,
    I've just received my pickit 3 with adapter board.
    I've installed MPLAB IDE v3.50, MP X LAB IPE v3.50 and PICKIT 3 v3.01.
    I did not try yet mikroC but i'm not sure my unit is working properly :
    When i lauch pickit3 and search for device, i get a message : "Unsupported part (ID=2740)"
    and in the DEVICE FAMILY menu, the PIC16F does not exist.
    The adapter board is set up as writen on (DIP14 : J1=B, J2=2-3, J3=2-3).
    I can't find anything about this on the NET but maybe i'm searching with the wrong keywords.
    Thanks for help

    Leave a comment:


  • ripsdevala
    replied
    Originally posted by morganton View Post
    Ripsdevala,

    I forgot that when you open a new project, mikroC already has void main() { } so before you paste Bernard's C code, delete that existing little bit of code. Bernard's code already has it and it would not allow it to compile if it was included again. That may have been why you couldn't get it to compile.
    Yes...that what i mean (void), idk what is that, let me try that later, many thanks

    Leave a comment:


  • morganton
    replied
    Ripsdevala,

    I forgot that when you open a new project, mikroC already has void main() { } so before you paste Bernard's C code, delete that existing little bit of code. Bernard's code already has it and it would not allow it to compile if it was included again. That may have been why you couldn't get it to compile.

    Leave a comment:


  • morganton
    replied
    Originally posted by ripsdevala View Post
    Heloo dan, i try to compile with the source code from F1117, but its stuck on some parameter that i dont know when i try to build hex, im not a programer.
    Hi ripsdevala,

    I didn't have any problem compiling his C code in mikroC. You might check to see that you aren't trying to compile Bernard's hex code which is just lines of numbers. Besides that, check to see that you copied all of his C code. I used [ctrl a] then right-click copy (which I know you already know).

    Dan

    Leave a comment:


  • morganton
    replied
    Originally posted by geoscash1 View Post
    Excellent, thank you for the very informative reply Dan, it is much appreciated. With those instructions it should be easy to get it finished up. I do already have mikroC pro so done deal.

    But,

    I found what the problem is or was, my pickit 3 programmer just flat died. it was loading code then just stopped. I checked the power on board after snapping the red case apart and it really just up and died, never ever had one just die like that before....lol

    So now I need to buy a new one or another programmer, probably hit ebay here in awhile, glad there relatively cheap, only problem is the wait... I do have other programmers but they don't support the chip were using and one of them (my velleman experimenter/programmer) would work but I need a pc with an available 9 pin plug to be able to use it.

    Thanks for the offer for the chip, are you here in the states?
    Yes, I'm in northern California.

    Great that you found the problem.

    BTW, disregard my statement in my above post "Import the hex code from the project file that was created by mikroC."

    Instead, import Bernard's C code into the new project in mikroC. I ran out of time to edit my original post and forgot to delete that line.

    I use the "enhanced PICkit 2" which is an older version and is still available on Ebay, but it would probably be better to get a PICkit 3 programmer.


    Best,

    Dan

    Leave a comment:


  • geoscash1
    replied
    Originally posted by morganton View Post
    I can tell you how to do it with mikroC which I think is easier than mplab. And I think you have to add a compiler to mplab to get it to work. MikroC already has the compiler. What you want to do is install the mikroC program and copy F117's source code written in C from his website (not his hex file) into a new project. Then, at the top of the page, click on "Project" and then "Edit Project" There, you will see the settings for the oscillator, MCLR, etc. that I talked about above. Modify the settings in accordance with post 84, and then build the project by clicking on the "Build" tab and then "Build" again. What you have then done is generate hex code that has the correct project settings. Make a note of the file where the hex code mikroC generated is stored.

    Then download the PICkit 3 software -- here is a link http://en.freedownloadmanager.org/Wi...Ckit-FREE.html -- install it, hook up your programmer with the PIC installed and open the PICkit 3 software up. It should pick up your PIC. I actually use the PICkit 2 version, but I think they are about the same. Import the hex code from the project file that was created by mikroC.

    I think that PICkit 3 already has the correct file for the PIC 16F1824 but if not, you can follow the basic procedure I wrote up in post 215. You just need to find the PIC 16F1824 in the list (also see post 215 above for how to find it).

    First erase your PIC and then install the hex code and you should be ready to go.

    The good news is that you are very close to getting it to work--you just need to get the right program on the PIC. Pin 4 of this PIC is the MCLR pin. However, it can also be used as an I/O pin if you disable MCLR. That is how F117 is using it. So, when you push the "pin-pointer" switch with MCLR enabled, you are simply resetting the PIC. In addition, your PIC probably has the wrong oscillator setting which means it is running too slow. All of this is fixed in the project settings.

    If all else fails, pm me your address and I'll mail you a PIC with the correct program installed. Then, when you get a chance, you can mail me a blank PIC back and we will be even on our inventory.

    Let me know if you get stuck.

    Dan

    Edit: To copy F117's source code in C, open his file up (http://users.telenet.be/willaert/MD/.../v4/Pickini4.c) with wordpad (or another program like it) and then copy all of the code and then paste it in a new project in mikroC.
    Excellent, thank you for the very informative reply Dan, it is much appreciated. With those instructions it should be easy to get it finished up. I do already have mikroC pro so done deal.

    But,

    I found what the problem is or was, my pickit 3 programmer just flat died. it was loading code then just stopped. I checked the power on board after snapping the red case apart and it really just up and died, never ever had one just die like that before....lol

    So now I need to buy a new one or another programmer, probably hit ebay here in awhile, glad there relatively cheap, only problem is the wait... I do have other programmers but they don't support the chip were using and one of them (my velleman experimenter/programmer) would work but I need a pc with an available 9 pin plug to be able to use it.

    Thanks for the offer for the chip, are you here in the states?

    Leave a comment:


  • ripsdevala
    replied
    Originally posted by morganton View Post

    Edit: To copy F117's source code in C, open his file up (http://users.telenet.be/willaert/MD/.../v4/Pickini4.c) with wordpad (or another program like it) and then copy all of the code and then paste it in a new project in mikroC.
    Heloo dan, i try to compile with the source code from F1117, but its stuck on some parameter that i dont know when i try to build hex, im not a programer.

    @geocash
    I use standalone pickit3 programer and work normal, im not turn on the pin point button when first start, otherwise it will stuck forever.

    Leave a comment:


  • morganton
    replied
    Originally posted by geoscash1 View Post
    Well, pulled the chip, erased and started over. Originally I just used my pickit 3 to import and download the hex file. Now seeing there needs to be some things set on the chip prior to programming, I am not sure how to get to the screen you guys show over on page 4 where the mclr and other items are disabled.


    I tried reloading the program as I did previously and now the chip does something similar to someone elses, no start up beep, no sound or detection but the pinpoint button pressed will give the startup beep and nothing else. I have no wave forms or info on the scope now either.

    I have the pickit 3 connected to mplab ide now but still cannot find where you change all those chip settings, any help with that would be great because at this point I think that is the issue.

    Thanks in advance,
    Geo
    I can tell you how to do it with mikroC which I think is easier than mplab. And I think you have to add a compiler to mplab to get it to work. MikroC already has the compiler. What you want to do is install the mikroC program and copy F117's source code written in C from his website (not his hex file) into a new project. Then, at the top of the page, click on "Project" and then "Edit Project" There, you will see the settings for the oscillator, MCLR, etc. that I talked about above. Modify the settings in accordance with post 84, and then build the project by clicking on the "Build" tab and then "Build" again. What you have then done is generate hex code that has the correct project settings. Make a note of the file where the hex code mikroC generated is stored.

    Then download the PICkit 3 software -- here is a link http://en.freedownloadmanager.org/Wi...Ckit-FREE.html -- install it, hook up your programmer with the PIC installed and open the PICkit 3 software up. It should pick up your PIC. I actually use the PICkit 2 version, but I think they are about the same. Import the hex code from the project file that was created by mikroC.

    I think that PICkit 3 already has the correct file for the PIC 16F1824 but if not, you can follow the basic procedure I wrote up in post 215. You just need to find the PIC 16F1824 in the list (also see post 215 above for how to find it).

    First erase your PIC and then install the hex code and you should be ready to go.

    The good news is that you are very close to getting the Pickini 4 to work--you just need to get the right program on the PIC. Pin 4 of this PIC is the MCLR pin. However, it can also be used as an I/O pin if you disable MCLR. That is how F117 is using it. So, when you push the "pin-pointer" switch with MCLR enabled, you are simply resetting the PIC. In addition, your PIC probably has the wrong oscillator setting which means it is running too slow. All of this is fixed in the project settings.

    If all else fails, pm me your address and I'll mail you a PIC with the correct program installed. Then, when you get a chance, you can mail me a blank PIC back and we will be even on our inventory.

    Let me know if you get stuck.

    Dan

    Edit: To copy F117's source code in C, open his file up (http://users.telenet.be/willaert/MD/.../v4/Pickini4.c) with wordpad (or another program like it) and then copy all of the code and then paste it in a new project in mikroC.

    Leave a comment:


  • geoscash1
    replied
    Well, pulled the chip, erased and started over. Originally I just used my pickit 3 to import and download the hex file. Now seeing there needs to be some things set on the chip prior to programming, I am not sure how to get to the screen you guys show over on page 4 where the mclr and other items are disabled.


    I tried reloading the program as I did previously and now the chip does something similar to someone elses, no start up beep, no sound or detection but the pinpoint button pressed will give the startup beep and nothing else. I have no wave forms or info on the scope now either.

    I have the pickit 3 connected to mplab ide now but still cannot find where you change all those chip settings, any help with that would be great because at this point I think that is the issue.

    Thanks in advance,
    Geo

    Leave a comment:


  • WM6
    replied
    Originally posted by F117 View Post
    @WM6: this version of the PICKINI detector is far from ideal for a pinpointer since it requires a calibration phase after power-on that can take up to 20s.
    This is not something you would want with a pinpointer.
    OK, thanks. Nevertheless, interesting design.

    Leave a comment:


  • BC547
    replied
    @WM6: this version of the PICKINI detector is far from ideal for a pinpointer since it requires a calibration phase after power-on that can take up to 20s.
    This is not something you would want with a pinpointer.

    Leave a comment:


  • BC547
    replied
    You could also check pin 2 with the scope: this should be a PWM output, that provides the comparator DC reference after filtering.

    The ticks you hear after the welcome sound have no relationship whatsoever to the presence of a flyback pulse.
    The flyback pulse at the test pin of the PIC should have this form : 2V bottom, 5V top



    The "slice level" is the filtered PWM DC voltage to the comparator.
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X