
The original discreet rx front end contained errors, but I corrected those errors and got it to work nicely in ltspice sometime ago.
But I am in agreement that the front end should be re-designed with opamp. This is by far a more practical solution.
As for the power supply, bipolar 5V gives adequate headroom for tweaking with the gain of those stages also more flexibilty with using different opamps, but will have no effect on performance of the circuit as is. The amplifiers/ filters will simply take what it needs from the rails whether it is a 6 V spread or a 10 V spread.
I like the CD4060 approach, since you can also use one of its outputs to drive a voltage inverter for the negative rail.
Have a look at the minelab 15000 schematic, more specifically the tx circuit. I don't recall anybody lifting that tx circuit for implementation on any diy device, maybe it can be used here as an experiment, it is after all a gold detector.
I don't really care about the power supply, you can do whatever solution you think is best, just make it as frugal by way of components so I can build the thing with the parts most diy'ers might have on hand or are easy to obtain. 10Mhz crystal is common enough. I see those quite often.

Leave a comment: