Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Homebrew Metal Detector

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Unregistered
    Guest replied
    Help

    Originally posted by Seeker View Post
    I use ZTX415 Uc-200V , Ct-2nF for laser diode, pulse ~ 20ns, but this can be used for coil.I can't understand why everybody use analog schematic for time measurement?You can optimize method , if use counter to measure time for fadind of coil voltage.
    Hi,
    Could you please send me your circuit?
    Thank you!
    email: [email protected]

    Leave a comment:


  • omega
    replied
    Hi and thanks for your help bugwhiskers. i´m searching for a windows program that able to calculate pcb coils...have anybody a program?

    Thanks, omega12

    Leave a comment:


  • zisme
    replied
    Originally posted by bugwhiskers View Post
    Hi Zisme,

    Nice touch capacitively coupling the coil to the stage 1 amp, solves the offset and dual supply problem !

    I too have been working on a PIMD with a few differences, eg Switch mode power supply to convert the 4 NiMH cells to +15.7(coil drive), +5 and -5(op amps). The timing pulses are generated by an ATMEL MCU. I use a MOSFET driver chip and it switches in 30nS and its inputs are cmos/ttl compatible.
    Probably the biggest diversion is the coil...its a PCB coil with spiral tracks, easy to make....repeatable, light weight and ultra low capacitance allowing me to sample about 7 uS after MOSFET cutoff. This has made possible detecting a 0.1 gram nugget at 5 inches.

    bugwhiskers
    P.S. The Micro switches off the SMPS when sampling is taking place so it is as quiet as running on a standard linear power supply.
    Very good! You are the first person to point out the capacitive coupling trick I used to eliminate dual supplies. I thought it was a neat improvement over the designs that are currently being published. The switching power supply with synchronized sampling idea is really great. I used LiIon cells because I had several of them as a result of the work I do part-time with cellphones. I too, have used MOSFET driver IC's in other projects, but I didn't see any advantages to using one here. Maybe I will revisit that concept. As for PCB coils, I have tried making some using AutoCad, but I could never get the inductance I wanted. I would love to see what you have done in this area. I appreciate the comments and interest in the project. Please do e-mail me through my website. I would very much like to exchange ideas.

    Mike

    Leave a comment:


  • bugwhiskers
    replied
    Coil info

    I have 2 types of PCB coil, round and capsule shaped. The round is 190mm diameter, 2mm tracks with 1.5mm between them on a standard 1oz copper fibreglass PCB, 28 "turns".The DC resistance is 2.6 ohms.

    The capsule coil is 285mm long by 73mm wide, 2mm tracks, 0.5 mm between tracks.

    If you have access to AutoCAD you can create lines and arcs then "PEDIT" them to alter track widths and print to clear film to make a photo tool.

    The round coil is most sensitive in the centre which is gr8 for pin pointing but doesn't allow much searching with each swing. The capsule coil has equal sensitivity along its length with a slight increase in sensitivity at the centre of the arc at each end.

    Leave a comment:


  • omega
    replied
    @bugwhiskers

    can you tell us more about your PCB coil? i wanna also make a PCB coil so can you give me more informations about the number of tracks, space between tracks and the dimension of the tracks.

    Thanks, omega12

    Leave a comment:


  • bugwhiskers
    replied
    Interesting

    Hi Zisme,

    Nice touch capacitively coupling the coil to the stage 1 amp, solves the offset and dual supply problem !

    I too have been working on a PIMD with a few differences, eg Switch mode power supply to convert the 4 NiMH cells to +15.7(coil drive), +5 and -5(op amps). The timing pulses are generated by an ATMEL MCU. I use a MOSFET driver chip and it switches in 30nS and its inputs are cmos/ttl compatible.
    Probably the biggest diversion is the coil...its a PCB coil with spiral tracks, easy to make....repeatable, light weight and ultra low capacitance allowing me to sample about 7 uS after MOSFET cutoff. This has made possible detecting a 0.1 gram nugget at 5 inches.

    bugwhiskers
    P.S. The Micro switches off the SMPS when sampling is taking place so it is as quiet as running on a standard linear power supply.

    Leave a comment:


  • zisme
    replied
    Originally posted by willrich View Post
    hey, won't the bolt holding the coil to the lower rod, make a differance in the depth?
    what if you use a plastic bolt and nut there?
    I dunno, but yer pulse inductor is pretty cool.
    I am new to this stuff, sorta, but been detecting along with my little non discriminateing compass's such as the 94b and 77ib
    found lots of pennies in my life and battery replacement $
    few gold rings and rotton live bullets(pretty dangerous to probe into)
    but try yer depth with plastic componant's and tell me whatcha think
    get back to me eh?
    I had a nylon bolt and nut orginally, but it didn't provide the support I wanted. I was always having to retighten it. When I switched to steel, I didn't notice any difference in depth. I did have to set the threshold control a little lower, but it was hardly noticable. The bolt is really off to the side of the coil's most sensitive area, and the BNC connector is almost in the same spot, so figured I would try it. My next homemade coil will be much lighter and will have no metal near it except for the wire.

    Mike

    Leave a comment:


  • willrich
    replied
    home brew, how do ya do, I'm fine, how are you?

    hey, won't the bolt holding the coil to the lower rod, make a differance in the depth?
    what if you use a plastic bolt and nut there?
    I dunno, but yer pulse inductor is pretty cool.
    I am new to this stuff, sorta, but been detecting along with my little non discriminateing compass's such as the 94b and 77ib
    found lots of pennies in my life and battery replacement $
    few gold rings and rotton live bullets(pretty dangerous to probe into)
    but try yer depth with plastic componant's and tell me whatcha think
    get back to me eh?
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • zisme
    replied
    Originally posted by Power View Post
    Does anybody have the pcb in physical dimensions?If so I would like to have it.Thank you.
    The finished board is 3 x 4 inches.

    Mike

    Leave a comment:


  • Power
    replied
    Does anybody have the pcb in physical dimensions?If so I would like to have it.Thank you.

    Leave a comment:


  • zisme
    replied
    Originally posted by omega12
    Hi,

    27 Turns with 0.9 mm wire or 1.0 mm wire??? Q2 is ok bc559c?

    Thanks,

    omega12
    The 20 Ga. wire, I used, is a little over 0.8 mm so I would use the 0.9 mm. Worst case, the outside diameter of the finished coil will be a little larger.

    Mike

    Leave a comment:


  • zisme
    replied
    Originally posted by omega12
    Can i use BC559C for Q2 because i can´t find MPSA70? What T can i use for Q2 for better amplification?

    Thanks, omega12
    The BC559C should work fine. Any general purpose PNP transistor with a beta of 40 or more will operate about the same. Q2 just gives power gain to drive the transducer. The output of the 555 is pulses so the transistor is simply turned on and off. It is not really doing any voltage amplification. I used a MPSA70 because I happen to have a few hundred of them.

    Have fun,

    Mike

    Leave a comment:


  • omega12
    Guest replied
    Hi,

    27 Turns with 0.9 mm wire or 1.0 mm wire??? Q2 is ok bc559c?

    Thanks,

    omega12

    Leave a comment:


  • ma330
    replied
    22awg

    hi to all
    i want number wire 22awg . please give to

    Leave a comment:


  • omega12
    Guest replied
    Can i use BC559C for Q2 because i can´t find MPSA70? What T can i use for Q2 for better amplification?

    Thanks, omega12

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X