Multibeam Sonar from small boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multibeam Sonar from small boat

Hello all, I am a new member to this forum and new to side scan sonars. I recently purchased a Starfish from E bay and I am keen to get it in the water soon.
    I have had the priviledge of seeing a multibeam sonar (a reson seabat) in action on a survey boat based not too far from where I live. It is quite a bulky bit of kit and was on a sizeable boat. With technology improving all the time do you think we are getting close to a small compact unit that could be mounted in a small boat?
    Are there any systems out there already?

Regards

Lee

Hi Lee

Welcome to the forum

LOWRANCE and HUMMINBIRD have units for smaler boats.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Workstation.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	335285
    But the starfish there is the possibility to tow the transducher not only, but also to install stationary. The downside is, you always need a computer for display.

mvh
    Rüdiger

Comment

That is a nice set up Rüdiger. I have recently bought a panasonic toughbook and wireless tablet so they should be able to handle being outside on the RIB.
      I was thinking more along the lines of a multibeam running from a 12v system?

Lee

Comment

Hi Lee

LOWRANCE and HUMMINBIRD are 12v multibeam sidescansonar ( 455 / 800 khz ).

mvh
        Rüdiger

Comment

Hello Rüdiger, do you have any good examples of wrecks you have scanned with either of these systems?

Thanks

Lee

Comment

Originally posted by diverdad View Post
            Hello Rüdiger, do you have any good examples of wrecks you have scanned with either of these systems?

Thanks

Lee

Hi Lee

Since my unit was over 5 months in repair, I have only shallowwater scans.

Name:	unbekannt 003.JPG
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	335321

Name:	unbekannt 001-1.jpg
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	335322

Name:	Äste2.jpg
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	335323

mvh
            Rüdiger

Comment

Nice images, where do you live, are they fresh or salt water images?

Thanks

Lee

Comment

Hi Lee

The coordinates of the images correspond to where I live, I live right on the lake in Sweden.
                This is only a small freshwater lake with max.14m depth.
                For September, I plan a search for a canon equipped wreck in the lake "Vänern".
                The starfish was also my first thought, which type do you know exactly what and where you want to search?

mvh
                Rüdiger

Comment

Hello Rudiger, I have a starfish 450F. I have not had the chance to use it yet. I will be looking for wrecks off the North East coast of England predominantly around the Tyne area.
                  I hope to get some good images from my starfish.

Lee

Comment

Working...
                  X