Programming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Programming

Since this seems to be a forum for cooperating I ask if there is anyone that is interested in programming for sidescans. Myself I still run my old DOS program

and it have several painful limitations. I do know

the structure of programming but my knowledges is ancient at this time with Win98 and NT.

My main problem is the "waterfall" scrolling in

Windows envoriment. In DOS I simply take control

over the graphic card but for Windows this is a bad

solution. I belive it should be possible by using

DirectX.

I have done a working program for windows using

a commercial library, but this is slow compare to

the DOS variant.

Suggestions anyone!

Sture

Re: Programming

Sture,

I would be happy to take a look at your programs. I have done a fair amount of windows programming (using Visual Basic) and some C. I am good friends with a number of people who write very complex user interfaces. (One works for the people who make Visio.) If I can't help you, I'm sure I can ask one of them for advice.

I'm not sure how well posting binary files in the forum will work, but you can always email them to me.

([email protected])

-Bob

Comment

I can only assume that it is too expensive, but has anyone looked into the possiblity of using softaware that is already on the market?

Does anyone know what the costs might be?

Patrick

Comment

The idea with this question was to have a discussion

about different technics how to write sidescan programs. My current direct graphic access is a

dead end and should be locked in in a waste basket.

There is commercial programs avaible but I have found

them to expensive for me.

Sture

Comment

Sture,

I understand that you would want to rebuild the software from the ground up. The reason I was interested in seeing the current software was to get an idea of the flow of the program. So if you have flow charts, etc. I would be interested in that as well.

Once I understand the functions of the software, I would then look to see what libaries are avilable, and what we should code ourselves. I would then post my ideas to see what everyone else thought..

Also, you are concerned about speed, so it might make sense to code more of the software ourselves, probably in C. But this can get complex, which is why I said I would want to ask others who know more about this area.

I am not limiting myself to Win95/NT. Linux is catching on quickly, and appears to be making inroads into the embeded market. At some point in the future, it may be cost effective to use it to create an 'appliance' that would look more like a fish finder than a computer. At least this way, you wouldn't need to take your laptop out into the ocean every time!

Java may be a good alternative too, but again, I would need to understand the functions you are trying to perform before I go digging!

-Bob

Comment

OK

I will made some flowchart or pseudo code example

to post, just give me a little time.

The current program is written in TP7.0 and

have a bad structure (like bolied spaghetti)

wich is hard to follow.

The reason for this is that this program have

been rewritten after every run on the sea in a

period of 2.5 year and now I don't know myself wich

parts of program still is in use.

Sture

Comment

OK, Let me know when you have something... And don't worry if it isn't neat!

-Bob

Comment

Working...
              X