Dalton Marine Mag tested at long last

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dalton Marine Mag tested at long last

I finally got the time to do a land test my Dalton Magnetometer. I purchased it used over a year ago (yes knowing it could be a pig in a pock). sent it back to dalton had him check it and repace a popenioneter since there was a large location change.

I attempted to read his book and took it out for a test (several months ago) I got the wwhheeeeee sound but moving a 8 lb hydrolic jack near it mad no change in tone. Job and other requirments hurricane floyd) kept me from playing with it until the past week or so.

Cornered the at home son who speny a tour in the navy in electronics and is now going to college. Handed him Daltons book with instructions to read and do. He did. Today we took it to a ball field the only place large enough to try it. After doing a few adjestments on the pulse width and period he got a good wwhhheeeee sound. taking the small hydrolic jack near (about 3 ft) from the sensor there was a very noticable change in the tone with what I would call a high pitch fast ding ding ding ding ding type sound within the wwhheee sound. hope this makes sense but it does work. Our biggest proble was power lines within 300 ft same with ball filed fening and with 40 yards large parts of a 19th century sailing vessel with lots of large metal pins and nails in it.

My mag is a two senser mag with the sensors 15 ft apart and from the sensor to the control unit is about 90 ft of cable. Hope to take it to another location in the next few days to see how far it will detect a car etc. I fell it will detect a car within about 40 to 60 ft. I will be searching for large cannon and anchors so am expecting a detection of about 80 to 100 ft. will be working in saltwater depth of 30 to 60 ft. I can send photos if anyone wants to see the mag.

Good hunting

Re: Dalton Marine Mag tested at long last

Comment

Comment

>
        >
        >
        >
        >

Just noted that you tried out your mag. I wonder how you have made out since you posted this last message? I have a JW Fisher Proton 3 Mag and to set it up you certainly have to be in a rural area completely free of any metal or power lines as you mentioned. Hopefully you were able to do this. I am very interested to hear the range in which you are able to get a gamma reading change for large cannon. What do call large? I assume those used shipboard, but do you have a weight/range expectation. I am looking for some War of 1812 stuff, including some cannon and cannon balls. Some cannon may be bronze so I'm hoping to nail those with metal detectors after we hit an area with ferrous readings. I have a Pulse 8 with 18" coil on 100 ft line and a 48" wide coil oval coil on a sled.
        I have gone nowhere with sidescan, although I am still interested when I have the time.
        Good luck and good searching.
        David

Comment

Working...
        X