side scan for vertical walls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• side scan for vertical walls

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has heard of a side scan sonar being used to survey an underwater cliff (rather than the seafloor)? I want to be able to map a wall to see caves and overhangs etc. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Regards, Greig.

Sidescan for Side Looking

Hi GAF,

Docks and harbours use sidescan to check dock walls all the time. They use SSS with an over the side mount and beamed outwards instead of down. To get real high definition you will need a high frequency but prferably with a dual frequency version that finds the object with the lower frequency and then move in and use the high frequency to give very high definition.
    Low freq around 200/300 Khz and the high around 600/800 Khz. Many companies have such tools but JWFisher have a good one.
    Mail me on [email protected] and lets discuss this matter.
    harbour companies use this to check dock walls to see if any of the hundred+ year old stone blocks have become dislodged over years and the back fill spilling out. Drivers to walk the walls cost £1000.00 + per day to do the same job. SSS will spot the dumped garbage and other problems. It should work for cliff faces and underwater vertical structures.
    Laurie

Comment

Working...
    X