hummingbird 987C ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hummingbird 987C ?

The Hummingbird 900 series has a sidescan that looks pretty good. Check out their website. Anyone actually see one in use?Any comments on them? They go from about 1,500 to 1800 depending if you want to get a built in GPS.

Humminbird 987c

Hi there,

I got one - European Version. They say that the sidescanfunction is limited to 30m or 100feet depth - you can see further but the black stripe in the middle becomes bigger and bigger - in 70m water depth your scan area is only about 30m on each side and the blind area is 200m.
    My unit crashed twice in about half an hour - both times while using the GPS-Waypoint-System.
    There isnĀ“t a PC software yet!

Cheers from Germany

Gonyo

Comment

Thank you.,..how did you feel the quality of the picture was? BTW I know of someone at Humminbird ( a tech) that may be able to help with your problem, let me know if you want his e-mail. he is very willing to help.

Comment

Gonyo,..I saw your reply but I was in a hurry and briefly glanced at it thinking I could get back to the computer right away but I couldn't. For some reason I don't see it now. Are you still having problems with it crashing?I believe you You mentioned the pics looked pretty good on sidescan if there was some relief to the structures ,.is that right? The fello is named Greg Walters and I think you will find him helpful,..let me know how you do and your further impressions on the unit. Here is his E-mail (he sign all his web postings with it)

[email protected]

Comment

I've been using one for several days and am pretty impresssed with how well it works. I do a lot of diving and am constantly looking for new sites. I thought I knew the bottom in my primary area fairly well, but this system found a lot of things I'd missed. It says it only goes to 100 feet, but the first target we picked to dive on was in 125 feet of water and showed up clearly as a non-natural shape. It was a concrete mooring block about 10 feet square. I was skeptical about using a boat mounted transducer, but the pitching of the boat in chop does not seem to present a problem. Swells do distort the image, but they show in a uniform enough pattern that you can ignore them. I'm not saying this is military grade hardware, but it is way above the toy realm. I once had a Humminbird Paramount Wide unit that was supposed to do a 3D grid of the bottom, but it was more of a toy than a tool. I was hesitant to try another Humminbird product, but have to say I'm impressed. I'm impressed enough that I'll probably step up to a towed unit as well, now that I see how much I have not seen before........For the price, ease of operaton and image quality, I think the 987c is a winner. If I can get something twice as good for five times the price, I'll be impressed.

Comment

Does this 987c have any recording capabilities?
            Looks good otherwise.

Henrik

Comment

Image Capture

The latest software download does support image capture on SD cards

Comment

There is a user review on the link below. It sounds like two thumbs up.

http://www.treasurenet.com/f/index.p...c,13640.0.html

HH, Jim

Comment

Image capture

Thanks for the info!

Seems the image capture of this device is only taking a "screenshot" of the current image. It's OK... but...

A constant recording, which you can see on the lowrance units, where you can record for hours, watch images, alter sensitivities afterwards on your laptop, would be far better. An alternative would be constant info-flow to a laptop...

A guess the current system forces you to press buttons a lot if you want to scan an area systematically and have the data stored .

At least I will wait until the software is what it should be...

Henrik

Comment

inexpensive side scan sonar

Hi
                    I was wondering if anyone out there has had any luck finding inexpensive side scan sonars, other than the Humminbird 900 series? I basically need something for marine environmental mapping applications, and I need to be able to export the data from the sounder - It appears this is the big difference between the 'cheap' sounders and the full-on side scan and multibeam systems. Anyone have any suggestions I'd be greatful.
                    Cheers
                    Sean

Comment

Hi,
                      I build inexpensive single channel sidescan sonars with GPS logging beginning at $2399.00. Please goto: Burtonelectronics.com for more details.
                      Regards

Comment

Have a look on the Hummimbird website. They have new shipwreck sss pictures, a sailing yacht and other one. The resolution is great and looks nice the aspect ratio. I would like to have one!!!

Francisco

Comment

Originally posted by Francisco Xavier
                          Have a look on the Hummimbird website. They have new shipwreck sss pictures, a sailing yacht and other one. The resolution is great and looks nice the aspect ratio. I would like to have one!!!

Francisco
                          These units are running around $1,500 not a bad price for what you get.

Comment

If your going to use the Humminbird....

as a sidescan, my suggestion would be to do whats needed to make a towfish, get some extra cable and get the transducer OFF of the boat. Thats the only way your going to get a steady image in anything but the calmest water. Thats one of the principal reasons sidescans use a towfish, for image stability.

Comment

sidescan

I use my 987c on my 15fy6in zodak with the tranducer mounted on my transom and I have taken scans in the columbia river with the currant at 4mph with all cinds of boils and mini whirlpools and back eddys
                              and while maintaining an constant heading is a challange getting decent scans is not that hard.
                              due to its relitivly short range, stability is not such an issue.
                              that is not to say that a fish would not be in my future bit I would only use it for the most detailed scans.

Comment

Working...
                              X