Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assistance building side scan sonar.

Hello all,
    I've just recently found this forum and it seems like everyone here knows alot about this stuff so I fugured this is the place to ask.....I'm trying to construct a side scan sonar unit for use with a fish finder head unit. Would anyone by willing to share plans or schematics. I have basic electronics knowledge to get by on. I want to build a towfish and whatever else is needed. Before anyone gives me the usual speech on "why would anyone give away what the can sell, or what they figured out on thier own" I already understand capitalisim and do not need any refreshers but thanks. If anyone who is smarter than me on this stuff (that would be pretty much anyone) and would like to help please let me know. Also if some person(s) are considering building thier own but lack material, welding, shop space, etc... and you live in the upstate NY area let me know. I think it would be great to get together and do a combined build. Tools, shop, beverages on me :-) Anyway thanks for taking the time to everyone who reads this. Best regards to all.
    Tim
    [email protected]

Tim,

I'm sure Alan will be along any moment to spam us with his products and not offer any usefull info.......
    However, a great place to start, and get you thinking is forum member Dan's homebuilt SSS page here:
    http://www.portup.com/~dfount/sidescan.htm

Regards,
    Jason.

Comment

Koputai:

Thanks for the information. I had already stumbled across Dan's page. I sent him a email awhile back but never heard from him. I'm sure he most likely quite busy. I'm actually using his basic design of the towfish as best as I can figure it from the picture. I have a Pinpoint 7520 unit with in-sync sonar that I plan to use as the head. I guess it can do split screen and run multiple transducers. I'll need to read the manual as it's the first one I've ever owned. As soon as I can figure out how to setup the ducer's and the electronics I'll figure out how to post pics and I'll share whatever I learn. I've also ordered several books on sonar theroy and I plan on going through a bottle of asprin shorty after they arrive :-) I picked up the pvc pipe for the towfish body, a metal nosecone (top of a chainlink fence post) and cut out the fins with the plasma cutter this afternoon. I'm working out a plans for a front weed/crash bar for the nose of the towfish. I plan on braiding the cable into the towrope not sure if this is smart or not but I'm winging it here. I'll keep you up to date and if you want drop me a email and I'll reply back with photo's until I get setup. Thanks again for the reply.

Comment

Fin Construction

Just a thought...

Are your tail fins going to be permanent or will they be able to break away. I would tend tward something that would break away especially during the trial and error phase. I know many people have made their own fins from G10 Garlite available at McMaster Carr. Since you are making your body from PVC it would be easy to slot the rear of the fish to accept the fins. Is your unit going to be one or two channels? Are you going to look out to just one side or two?

Regards,

Jack

BTW, Falmat Custom cable sells kevlar cable (P/N FM012-694) for approximately $2.50 a foot. That would be a lot easier than trying to stuff coax up a rope.

Comment

The tail fins will be welded sheet stainless steel that will slot into the rear of the towfish. A push on cap will then secure them into place, but will allow for the towfish to be pulled loose should the fins become lodged in any obstructions leaving the fins behind. I believe I shall cut out a second set of fins made of lexan as I have a sheet lying around. I have not decided on the channel issue as I'm not yet familiar enough until I read further. I will only scan one side as I can only afford 4 of the pd-w transducers to put into the array. If I get a bigger budget in the future I may improve that. From what I've read it helps to be able to change the down angle of the transducers for different situations/adjustments so the part of the housing that contains the ducer's will rotate seperately from the body allowing me to change the angle as needed. I'm putting as much work into it as possible and hope the whole thing is not a dismal failure. As soon as I fugure out how to post pics I'll do so.

Comment

PHOTO'S ON TOWFISH PROGRESS......

Here are some quick photo's I snapped while test fitting the fin unit on the towfish. So for so good, but since I don't know what I'm doing it all looks good to me. Going to fab up the mounting plate next. Thanks for the interest and if anyone out there can help me with the mods to the fish finder, or how to wire up the ducer's please give me a shout.
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X