Imagenex Sportscan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagenex Sportscan

I've been using the Sportscan sidescan unit for a while now but it does ride up high behind the boat, even with 16lb of lead in it & when being towed at only 2.5 - 3 knots.

I really need to get the fish closer to the seabed & would find any advice very usefull.

I'm aware that you can purchase the wing to make the fish swim deeper & was thinking of making my own wing.

Can anyone tell me if the wing does make the fish swim much deeper & also does it need the turned down tips on the wing ?

Supressor

Hi,

you can build your own supressor very easy - and if you make the downwing adjustable you can decide how deep it should go. The only problem is the extrem force on the cable - I simply attached a stainless steel cable to it. If you want photos send me a message.

Cheers

Gonyo

Comment

weights

You don't have enough weight. Use three 5# on the bottom and two 3# on top plus a 5# downrigger ball in the nose. You can tow 20' - 25' down with a standard 75' cable. Make sure the fish is slightly nose heavy.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks to both of you for the replies,
        Does adding all that lead also put a lot of strain on the cable ?

Gonyo, I sent you a pm asking if it would be possible to send me pics of the steel cable set up but I don't know if you got it or not ?

I'm also still a little confused about the speed correction setting,
        I'm using the sportscan with GPS connected but when you select speed from GPS the display always seems to read 3 Kts.

Should I have speed correction enabled or not when using the unit with GPS ?

Hope someone can help with this.

DaveB

Comment

speed correction

from the SportScan manual:
          "Speed Correction - use this function to plot the SportScan data with a 1:1 aspect ratio. The displayed along track distance will be the same as the slant range echo distance. Circular targets will
          appear circular."

Speed Correction is a process which adds or removes data lines from the sonar image in order to produce a 1:1 aspect ratio on the screen (so a square target appears square and not rectangular). The SportScan transmits and receives data at a fixed rate depending on operating range. If the tow speed increases, the distance traveled is greater, but because the rate remains constant, the sonar image will be compressed in time (along track). Speed Correction will compensate for this compression by adding lines in the data at the appropriate places. Using the speed from your GPS receiver will give the best results as it will constantly update in real time. Using manual speed entry will suffice if a GPS receiver is not available.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, It's this very section of the manual that I find confusing,
            it still leaves me wondering if have speed correction should be enabled when speed from GPS is selected ?

DaveB

Comment

Working...
            X