stationary sonar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stationary sonar

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has tried the idea of a radar-like rotating transducer sidescan sonar to locate fish and show their distance and direction. I think this could possibly give you a picture of the bottom also, and whether you are moving or not. If anyone has heard of this, I would appreciate information. This seems to me like it would be relatively simple to impliment. Thanks!

Many of todays high end R.O.V.'s use such a setup to paint a picture of whats ahead and to locate possible "targets" of interest. It's not "sidescan" as it "sweeps" the beam. As A home builder sonar project I do not think I would bother as it adds one more step to the process and one more component that can fail. Also as far as I know the sweep sonar does not provide a good image of the objects , just the location and general size. The alternative would be submarine sonar which sends out sonar "pings" and locates objects as well as their speed, direction, etc... but I dont think it will pick up individual little fish only really big ones or large schools. Hope that helps. But I say if you want to try it go ahead, whats the worst that can happen? Nothing wrong with trying something different.

Comment

Working...
    X