Building Your Own Transducer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Your Own Transducer

Does anyone have any information on building your own transducers for Side Scan Sonar? Any Books or information on where to get parts, supplies, etc?

Robert

afterwards I search already longer, but could find also nothing.

Comment

On this forum you have a lot of msg and pictures about building sss transducer. Very good documentation and advices including that from Sture and Jan.
      Just now I am assembling a 455 KHz transducer array to fit on a Matrix 37.
      After some failed attempts to assemble a 200 KHz ducer array I bought 455 KHz single transducers and put them on acetone (ketone) and last 2 weeks the piezos elements was nacked and ready to reassemble them on a new ducer array (five each side). I am using now epoxy and synthetic rubber.
      I will post what I will get with this.

Comment

Francisco,

Could you post some pictures? What happened with the 200khz transducers?

Robert

Comment

Francisco,
          I would like to see some pics also if possible.
          thanks

Comment

Hi,
            Really, the information and pictures was published before this new forum edition.
            (the old forum was on the same server of the Geotech web-site)
            But you can achieve this very good information on the footnote of the current web-page ARCHIVE/Side-Scan-Sonar and look for the posts byond nº100 (+/-).
            Now you can follow the links on the posts to see the pictures.
            There are a lot of good advices and technical information posted by Sture, Jan, Bob and others.
            The failure I had with the 200 KHz side ducer was that I achieve very few power transfered to water invironment. I do not know why. Possibly due the steel bar glued to the piezos sonified window?
            Now I am using original piezos (455 KHz) and keeping the original disposal and wiring (two wires each piezo) and advices posted on the forum (old ones).
            Anyway I have a print of the most important posts (for my pourpose) and I can send to you.

Francisco Xavier

Comment

Originally posted by Francisco Xavier
              Hi,
              Really, the information and pictures was published before this new forum edition.
              (the old forum was on the same server of the Geotech web-site)
              But you can achieve this very good information on the footnote of the current web-page ARCHIVE/Side-Scan-Sonar and look for the posts byond nº100 (+/-).
              Now you can follow the links on the posts to see the pictures.
              There are a lot of good advices and technical information posted by Sture, Jan, Bob and others.
              The failure I had with the 200 KHz side ducer was that I achieve very few power transfered to water invironment. I do not know why. Possibly due the steel bar glued to the piezos sonified window?
              Now I am using original piezos (455 KHz) and keeping the original disposal and wiring (two wires each piezo) and advices posted on the forum (old ones).
              Anyway I have a print of the most important posts (for my pourpose) and I can send to you.

Francisco Xavier

Francisco,
              I would like to receive the info my email is [email protected].

I am going to see if I can locate some 455 KHz piezo transducers.

Comment

Charles,
                The posts I have collected and hard printed, are the same you can search and read on the this Archive/SSS of posts, believe me you will learn a lot about sss transducers and electronics related reading that posts!
                Anyway I can scan that ones I have and send you as picture file.
                The chose 455KHz because I bought a Hummimbird Matrix 37 unit that can perform side scan using two channel 455 KHz transducer (the unit cames w/ one short (one single piezo-455 KHz per side) transducer. I am trying to assemble the same figure using 5 elements (piezos) per side on parallel wiring to narrow the horizontal beam and enance sensitivity.
                I bought 10 single 455 KHz transducer (they have only one piezo-cilinder inside and two conductors - coax wiring) from Humimbird (they was selling them at good price - $25 US each). Put them on Ketone and dissolve all the plastic/rubber cover!!
                The only reason to make this is to shorten the distance beteewn the piezos, otherwise I would assemble like Dan (without destroying the capsules)!
                Regards

Comment

Francisco,
                  I like the idea of using the Matrix 37 because it shows both sides, but I noticed the resolution looked very poor. Have you had any success yet with your project and do you have any images you can share?

Please sned me what you have or links to the old threads. I have been through the archives but didn't really find what I needed.

Robert

Comment

Working...
                  X