Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 872 Yellowfin Sidescan

G'Day,

I am completly new to the sidescan forum and need some advice. I am an avid rust hunter (wreck diver) and am in the market for a sidescan to make life easier. I have been looking at the yellowfin Model 872 and looks like the dogs bollox. I need something that can find wrecks up to 100m. If anyone has any comments or even a second hand one I would love to hear from you. SOme basic questions..
    1. 1. How easy is it to use?
    2. Is the software user friendly ( I have downloaded the demo - looks good)
    3. Any specific negatives anyone has on the use of this unit.
    Many thanks.

Pete Mesley
    Auckland NZ

sportscan

hey Pete,

I have a sportscan which is pretty much the same as the yellowfin. I have no complaints about it. It works great, and is easy to operate. The sportscan was my first side scan. I had no prior experience with sonar systems, and I was still able to operate it successfully the first time out.

I am looking to sell my dual frequency sportscan with cables, software, etc. It is just a year old, and is in perfect condition. Not a scratch on it. I am graduating from college, and my job has me far away from water and that is why I am selling it. It's going for $5,000 + shipping cost.

Comment

Originally posted by clay584
      hey Pete,

I have a sportscan which is pretty much the same as the yellowfin. I have no complaints about it. It works great, and is easy to operate. The sportscan was my first side scan. I had no prior experience with sonar systems, and I was still able to operate it successfully the first time out.

I am looking to sell my dual frequency sportscan with cables, software, etc. It is just a year old, and is in perfect condition. Not a scratch on it. I am graduating from college, and my job has me far away from water and that is why I am selling it. It's going for $5,000 + shipping cost.

G'Day Clay584, cheers for the reply and thanks for the info. The only reason why I wanted to get the yellowfin was because of its depth capabilities. We look for stuff from 100meters and shallower. As far as I know the sport scan cant do that sort of depth. Is this true ??

many thanks Pete Mesley

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
        G'Day Clay584, cheers for the reply and thanks for the info. The only reason why I wanted to get the yellowfin was because of its depth capabilities. We look for stuff from 100meters and shallower. As far as I know the sport scan cant do that sort of depth. Is this true ??

many thanks Pete Mesley

Hi clay if it can operate to these depths I would REALLY be interested in getting it off you. Please could you send me pictures, and specs, length of cables etc etc to [email protected]

thanks again.

Pete

Comment

Hey Pete,

The sportscan only goes to about 100'. That won't be deep enough for you. Let me know if you have anymore questions about anything.

Clay

Comment

Hey Pete,

The sportscan only goes to about 100'. That won't be deep enough for you. Let me know if you have anymore questions about anything.

Clay
            Thanks for that Clay. What makes it only capable of going to 100 foot?? Is it the housing? or something else???

Pete

Comment

It is the housing. It is not as robust as the yellowfin, and therefore cannot handle the added pressure. On the sportscan and the yellowfin the nosecone and the shaft actually fill with water, the tale section is the only piece of the unit that is waterproof. This part must be able to handle more pressure to go to the deeper depths.

Comment

It is the housing. It is not as robust as the yellowfin, and therefore cannot handle the added pressure. On the sportscan and the yellowfin the nosecone and the shaft actually fill with water, the tale section is the only piece of the unit that is waterproof. This part must be able to handle more pressure to go to the deeper depths.

Thanks Clay,

I thought so. How much cable do you have?? Could you please send me some pictures of what exactly is in the price.

I will contact the manufacturers and see whether I can get a new housing for it to go deeper. Is your cable extendable???

pete

Comment

I have 75' of cable, and it is not extendable. You can buy a longer cable from an Imagenex dealer. I'm not sure if they sell a stronger housing for the transducer. I don't have any pics available right now, but I will get some up in about a week.

Clay

Comment

I have 75' of cable, and it is not extendable. You can buy a longer cable from an Imagenex dealer. I'm not sure if they sell a stronger housing for the transducer. I don't have any pics available right now, but I will get some up in about a week.

Clay
                    Thanks mate, I have been in contact with a Chris Roper - (Very helpfull chap!) and it sounds like a mish to get it converted to go deeper - not a simple job indeed!!!!

Looking forward to the pickees
                    Pete

Comment

southern sun

hi pete, thought you should know that you will need 300mtrs of cable............... we bought our yellowfin sonar from chris roper and are now dealing with shark marine for the extra length of cable.................. chris is US$$$$ and a lot dearer than Shark Marine?!

WE have trouble getting ours to fly low enough and now have to add the depressor wing............ and weighted nose cone......... something that they don't tell you straight off....... the armored cable is the go ( added weight) but you have to have a reel to handle her on deck!! $$$$ not sure if you have bought the cable by now...........Kevlar or armored.............. if yo have let me know how you are getting on
                      Roz

Comment

Working...
                      X