Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towed depth vs. cable length

Hi all -

I'm currently working on a couple of projects for towed sensors, and I'm wondering if anyone has a set of calculations or rule of thumb for length of cable/umbilical vs. depth of fish. Basically, I am planning on towing for example a camera sled on X ft of cable, and I'm wondering how deep I can expect to get it to run - how much cable can I expect to need for a given depth?

I'm thinking the angle of the cable and therefore the length needed will be determined by the water drag of the tow, and I'm expecting to run off a vessel traveling <5 knots. I'm hoping to get the camera 100 feet down on about 200 feet of cable assuming it's fairly streamlined, is this reasonable thinking?

Thanks for any info,

Erik

I'll reply to myself

Checking on specs for deep sea towed sonars, it looks like the rule of thumb is 3x the desired depth, IE for me 300 feet if I want 100 depth.

So I'll try that, plus I'll use a heavy cable and streamlined hulls on my projects to get 'em down deep.

Erik

Comment

Your 3 to 1 rule of thumb is pretty close. You're going to find that the vessel speed plays a major role in the depth. That can be used to your advantage, because if you have a depth finder watching the depth under the hull, you can speed up or slow down to "fly" the towed object higher or lower. If you're towing a camera, you will probably want to put a simple depth transducer on the sled so you know where it is in the water column.

Comment

Working...
      X