Inexpensive side scan sonars for sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inexpensive side scan sonars for sale

Please check out http://www.Burtonelectronics.com for more details.
    Regards
    GLB

Why don't you produce double side SSS tow fish?

Why don't you install double side transducers into your SSS tow fishes?

Comment

Hi,
      These are singler channel because they are based on single channel echosounders. I have a dual channel laptop based sidescan in a testing phase now. No specifics on a release date but I hope soon.
      Regards

Comment

Hi GLB,

Dual side channel echosounders are common today. Why you d'not use one of Huminbird Matrix model ? They have good screen resolution and 16 grey levels (and are cheap)!
        The diference is that they work with 455 KHz but I think that is not a difficulty for you - to assemble dual 455 KHz arrays instead of 200 KHz ?
        More frequency more detail, less range - but most users search in shallow diveabled depts !
        As I know the unit (Matrix 37 f.e.) is ready to work with a two channels ducer (and is upgradable by software) is just necessary one good 455 KHz two channels transducer.

Regards,

FX

Comment

I am tired of seeing your ads for your side scan sonar. I think you need to start paying Carl for advertising space. All you have done is take from this forum for your own financial gain.

We came together and shared information over the years to try and build a unit that everyone could construct (or at least a kit they could try to assemble). This forum has always been about building an affordable unit for those who couldn't afford the big names and sharing information to promote our goal.

It makes me want to spit when I have been coming here for almost 5 years and seeing what you have taken and are now trying to sell back to us! Your solicitation is nothing but a slap in the face!

Comment

UR,

I understand how you feel, and more than anyone else I would like to see a reasonable homebrew SSS project finalized. However, participants of this forum (and that includes me), for one reason or another, have not followed through with such a design.

You are right, the purpose of these forums is to share information, and to help each other. I know nothing about Gary, or where he got the inspiration or information to design & build SSS. Maybe here, maybe not... it really doesn't matter. Folks are free to use this information as they wish, and that includes developing a commercial product.

One thing that sets these forums apart from others, is the fact that I accept no sponsors, so opinions of products are not subject to censorship. Also, unlike most other forums, I decided to allow commercial interests to freely plug their products, so long as the products are relevent to THing. This gives everyone total freedom... a manufacturer can promote his product here, and a dissatisfied user can bash it. All I ask is that everyone be civil about it.

Even though I haven't used one, Gary appears to have a decent product at a fairly low price, at least compared to other commercial SSS. I think people looking for a SSS, especially if considering buy-versus-build, should know about it.

Now, about that homebrew SSS project... what do you suggest we do about it?

- Carl

Comment

To Unregistered

I appreciate the fact that this forum exists, however, I have not taken one iota of information from this forum and have in fact contributed useful info on a small scale on this as well as the Magnetometer forum (yes, I have also designed proton mags). I first developed a 120KHZ Side Scan sonar for personal use in the early nineties and carried that basic design into the 200 KHZ I offer now. The new design was also for personal use for a newer search project but performed so well that I decided to offer it for sale and make it affordable to most, or to make a useable accessory affordable to those who already have a suitable sounder. In fact I quit my Job to do so. All it does is pay the bills. You accuse me of taking information from this board and then trying to sell a product back to the forum readers. If I stole my information from this board then how come you yourself haven't built one?? I cannot give away the farm in this age where a determined individual could stuff everyones mailbox on the planet with my detailed design within 24 hours. Those that want to build these for sale would far outstrip those who would simply build them for their own use. And I would be out of business.

Comment

GLB,
                why dont you sell plans for your SS design,i bet you dont sell more then 1 or 2 SS units per month,but for a low price on the plans i bet you could sell hundreds of them per month.a low price like $100 id buy it right away.the sales of your plans could surpass the sales of the SS unit.how about it?

Comment

Ill buy a set of plans for $100.00 where do i send the money?

Comment

I am glad that Carl allows people like GLB to mention their products on the forum.

Will I buy a unit from Burton? Not today, but who knows what the future holds. I have, and will continue to, pointed others to Gary's site when asked about low cost SSS units. I feel that he has developed a very usable unit at a fair market price. The only reason I would not buy one today is that I already have a SSS that works fine. And I am working on building another that will better fill my needs for the near future.

I am glad to be able to come here and see what others are working on as well as what others have for sale. It keeps the ideas flowing and gives me bookmarks to refer to when asked for suggestions by others.

I also hate to be bombarded with advertising on sites like this. But, I really don't feel that GLB has gone overboard with his. I think the way he has posted has been informative without being too, "in your face".

Rip

Comment

To Unregistered

Suppose you are sold plans for $100.00. You think your now going to build this for a few dollars more??? These parts gonna fall out of the sky somehow?? Local RShack bargain bin?? I would bet the printheads alone on Hultquists exellent home built sidescan were a couple of G's. Your gonna have to spend money no matter how you look at it. The transducer alone could cost you more in parts to build then you could buy one from me already built. The reason?? Quantity. These are not off-the-shelf parts. The parts are all high precision custom made. When you onesy twosy custom parts you pay though the nose for them. I buy in bulk, did my own R & D and is the reason I can sell a side scan ducer all completed for $699.00. That's the heart of the system, and it can tolerate serious PSI. Any High quality modern fishfinder can be converted to a single channel side scan using one of these ducers. I prefer the Lowrances because of their exceptional capabilities. It amazes me that some will still spend hundreds of dollars chasing the Fishfinder transducer array's for a suitable sidescan only to throw them out and not spend twice that for something that really works because it is made for the purpose. An extra high resolution ducer at $600 more can give images on a Lowrance recording sonar that equal systems costing 10s of thousands of dollars. See the quality of the images posted by one of my customers. That was unsolicited by the way. The Gentleman is resposible for several direct sales because his friends also wanted one for themselves. The transducer is a precision component. Why get down to the level of precision component manufacture for your sidescans?? Why stop there, why not try and manufacture your own IC chips etc.? I mean surely if you start with a bag of sand some metal and a hot oven you do all the work you can eventually have something the quiality of an Edgetech or Klien for $50 bucks. . Realisticly, for $1800.00 and your own High quality sounder (like a modern recording Lowrance) you can have everything you need for a conversion including an inline microprocessor, which helps to stabilize the image under wide and varying conditions. For $1299.00 (including 100 ft of cable) and a homemade towfish you can make your H Q sounder into something practicaly as good. For $699.00 with your own H Q sounder, cable and home made towfish you could have something very good and you can still proudly call your systems something you made yourselves.

Comment

GLB,

Dual side channel echosounders are common today. Why you d'not use one of Huminbird Matrix 37 model ? They have good screen resolution and 16 grey levels (and are cheap)!
                        The diference is that they work with 455 KHz but I think that is not a difficulty for you - to assemble dual 455 KHz arrays instead of 200 KHz ?
                        More frequency more detail, less range - but most users search in shallow diveabled depts !
                        As I know the unit (Matrix 37 f.e.) is ready to work with a two channels ducer (and is upgradable by software) is just necessary one good 455 KHz two channels transducer.
                        The humminbird 900 series are very good units dual chanels just waiting for a good 455 KHz SSS ducer.

Regards,

FX

Comment

Hi,
                          There are several reasons, one being time. The Matrix display is also not good enough to exploit the full capabilities of a good imaging transducer. Even the Lowrances built in display is only marginal for imaging, it's the recorded files that are really worth it and very much so. Because they also log GPS you can always put yourself back on the same spot later on.
                          Regards

Comment

project

Originally posted by Unregistered
                            I am tired of seeing your ads for your side scan sonar. I think you need to start paying Carl for advertising space. All you have done is take from this forum for your own financial gain.

We came together and shared information over the years to try and build a unit that everyone could construct (or at least a kit they could try to assemble). This forum has always been about building an affordable unit for those who couldn't afford the big names and sharing information to promote our goal.

It makes me want to spit when I have been coming here for almost 5 years and seeing what you have taken and are now trying to sell back to us! Your solicitation is nothing but a slap in the face!

Here you go.... http://www.questelectronics.com/
                            all the electronic work is done. You just have to put it together.
                            Although I am not a fan nor a user of Burton's system, he did put in the effort to make something that others are willing to pay for. He didn't steal anything from you or me. (I don't know about any others)

What exactly are you complaining about?

Comment

firmware

I've been checking the quest electronics site for quite awhile now just waiting for them to post the software so I can start on it...no luck yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X