Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultra Electronics Towfish - Homemade SPU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultra Electronics Towfish - Homemade SPU?

Hi - I recently received a Ultra Electronics system 3000 towfish (100khz, I was told by seller) that I purchased on Ebay and now the fun (or aggravation) for me begins...

Having very little background in electronics, but a can-do attitude, I was hoping that someone on the forum could point me in the right direction as how best to trigger the towfish without ruining it and how to process the return signals.

Specifically could someone answer these questions:
    1) Can I modify a fishfinder to produce a 100khz freq? (I notice most specs on commercial fishfinders run 50khz, 200khz, 262khz) Is it a matter of just substituting a oscillator/resonator?

2) I notice that commercial signal processing units have a range setting on the controls... does "range" really just control the timing of the triggering pulse resulting in more pulses per second?

3) Is there an optimum number of pulses per second to trigger the towfish?

4) Lacking a manual for the towfish could anyone hazard a guess as to the voltage and current that I would need to trigger the towfish?

5) I assume that I am going to get a analog signal of some sort back from the transducer - any suggestions on processing the return data?

Eventually I would like to be able to create a interface for the towfish to work with a laptop. Any suggestions or pointers would be appreciated from this forums users.

P.S> Would anybody out there have access to a manual for the Waverly-Dowty-Ultra Electronics 3000 series sidescans?

P.S.P.S> If you have a 100khz SPU for sale please contact me

My username on this forum is: waterguy
    Thanks in advance for any advice, Alex

Dear alex,
    I bought dowty 3000 sss towfish too also I'm searching any manuel, catalog or any information. If am I found any information about dowty towfish I will send you.
    Regards,
    Cem

Comment

Have also the towfish

Hi Guys,
      I have also got the towfish.... and already took it apart.
      So I have perhaps some more details about it.. schematics and so on.
      If you like we can share some informations about the fish.
      [email protected]

Comment

Are there any patent numbers printed somewhere on any of the towfish'?
        I would like to have this number, to search the patents databases for documentation and schematics.

Glenn

Comment

I see some number but only production number from ultra electronics (CTT-NUW62A / 1980) or some serial number (like R97WAV81WAV104 ) or Drawing No: 245 / 20 issue 11. But I don't think so can not assistance with this info.

Cem

Comment

Originally posted by waterguy Alex
            Eventually I would like to be able to create a interface for the towfish to work with a laptop. Any suggestions or pointers would be appreciated from this forums users.

P.S> Would anybody out there have access to a manual for the Waverly-Dowty-Ultra Electronics 3000 series sidescans?

P.S.P.S> If you have a 100khz SPU for sale please contact me
            I have some manuals for the Waverley 3000 sonar, but I have some problems with my scanner.

I know there are more people out there working to get an working interface for a laptop computer, and I would be very happy if we could share our knowledge.

I have a Weaverley SPU, but I can't sell it right now, as I am trying to get hold of a copy of any kind of software to digitize the analoge signals from the tofwish/SPU.
            I might be able to get you a combines SPU and printer, but I have no knowledge of wheter it is in working condition or not. But it is 100% analoge electronics, so it should be no problem repairing any fawlty circuits.

Does any one have a copy of some kind of software that can be used to hook up the SPU to a computer? Please PM me if so.....

Glenn

Comment

Does any one have any clue on where on the SPU to the Weaverley I can pick up the 0-5V sonar signal and the TTL trigger for the pulse?

I asume that it must be somewhere on the TVG ramp/delay generator PCB, but I have no schematics for this board.

I could try to hook up a oscilloscope and try to look at the signals on that board, but I have no idea of what to look for!

Thank you for any feedback!

Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by Glennk
                I have a Weaverley SPU,

Glenn
                do you have some pictures taken with Ultra Electronics system 3000 with 100khz towfish ?

is it can really see 600m both side?

Comment

Originally posted by hertsog
                  do you have some pictures taken with Ultra Electronics system 3000 with 100khz towfish ?

is it can really see 600m both side?
                  No, I have not done any sidescans with the unit.
                  But the spesifications and the user manual says "range 75, 150, 300 and 600 meters", and the system have been used by the UK Navy so I don't think there are any B-S in the spesifications or the user manual.

Glenn

Comment

Any news?

I got a Wawerly / Dowty 3000 lightweight towfish and SPU with built in printer.

Missing a towcable still.....

In order to manufacture a tow cable it would have been nice to know the pin-out. Anyone got any manuals or documentation??

The connector on the SPU is a Canon type with bayonet.
                    On the towfish the connector is in the front since the lightweight version is towed in the 'nose'. The connector is similar to Cruise-Hinds underwater pluggable with four connector pins and a guiding pin. The connector pins have two connector rings each. That makes 8 connectors in total.

I've found the female connector for the towfish but it's 135 USD (!)
                    Cable will probably be even more expensive since i need a 8 wire cable.

Anyone know if it has to be shielded?
                    I will probably not use more than 200 m cable and I guess signal levels are quite high since I presume it's amplifiers built in the tow fish since it's 8 wires?

Since money allways is a big issue I was thinking of using cat6 network cable and enhance the strenght by adding a thin steel wire to it.

When I get it working I will also try to build a PC interface so I can digitalize and save the signal for later analysis. Maybe the printer signal would be suitable for this?

Any information about the waverly/duwty/ultra 3000 system in apreciated.
                    Especially the pin-out on the SPU and towfish.

I will share everything I come up with on this forum.

Warm regards,
                    Pär Jonsson

Comment

Originally posted by PerAmpére View Post
                      I got a Wawerly / Dowty 3000 lightweight towfish and SPU with built in printer.

Missing a towcable still.....

In order to manufacture a tow cable it would have been nice to know the pin-out. Anyone got any manuals or documentation??

The connector on the SPU is a Canon type with bayonet.
                      On the towfish the connector is in the front since the lightweight version is towed in the 'nose'. The connector is similar to Cruise-Hinds underwater pluggable with four connector pins and a guiding pin. The connector pins have two connector rings each. That makes 8 connectors in total.

I've found the female connector for the towfish but it's 135 USD (!)
                      Cable will probably be even more expensive since i need a 8 wire cable.

Anyone know if it has to be shielded?
                      I will probably not use more than 200 m cable and I guess signal levels are quite high since I presume it's amplifiers built in the tow fish since it's 8 wires?

Since money allways is a big issue I was thinking of using cat6 network cable and enhance the strenght by adding a thin steel wire to it.

When I get it working I will also try to build a PC interface so I can digitalize and save the signal for later analysis. Maybe the printer signal would be suitable for this?

Any information about the waverly/duwty/ultra 3000 system in apreciated.
                      Especially the pin-out on the SPU and towfish.

I will share everything I come up with on this forum.

Warm regards,
                      Pär Jonsson
                      I'we got every documentation that you'll need.
                      But you'll still need to invest in the Crouse-Hinds connector, or replace the connector in the towfish with something else.

I asume that you are located in Sweden?

Send me a PM or a e-mail, and I'll send you the info you need!

Glenn

Comment

Glenn,

Couldn't send you an email since your address is not visible in your profile.
                        I've sent you a PM with my email.

/Pär

Comment

Moin von der Insel

I have a towfish and the Spu

Need manual and connectors

Found some software using analog networkcards to process sonarpictures

Comment

hello
                            i nedd schematics of fishfinder 100 trasducer and cables and details of conections in box
                            i not have the trasducer only the panel box, where i can purchase it?

regards
                            detectoman

Comment

I have a spare set of transducers, that I might sell if I got a good deal.
                              They actually DO have a value for me, as spare parts, but I don't think that I will ever need it.
                              If I get a fair offer for the pair of transducers, I will sell them.

Glenn

Comment

Working...
                              X