Inexpensive side scan (My Burton M1 system) *big pics*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inexpensive side scan (My Burton M1 system) *big pics*

Now it is time to make a thread on Burtons fine and inexpensive sidescan sonar.

I will post pictures and write comments as time goes and I get more experience with the sonar.

First, I needed a storage/transportation container/box. Since the equipement is delicate, we like to store and transport it in a rugged box.
    So i looked up some prices on woody-boxes and other stuff, but it was too expensive.
    I ended up with 2 plywood boards and 15 meters of 1x1.5".

Will this ever become a useable box?

I also needed a box to connect power to the NMEA bus and the display unit, and decided to connect a DB-9 connector also. This is just to have the possibilities to connect a external GPS/DGPS or to get NMEA instructions from the Lowrance unit and use it in e.g. a chartplotter on the PC, or a autopilot. This is because I would like the system to be PORTABLE and not install the GPS/Lowrance units and wirering permanently.

This is the PCB after the etching.

Backside after soldering the DB-9 and the terminals for the GPS/power/NMEA.

And frontside...

This PCB will be installed in an plastic casing, also containing the fuses for the display unit and the GPS, as well as a "main switch" for the 12VDC power.

So after 3 hours this was the thing I came up with....

It has space enough for the towfish, the cable, microcontroller, GPS, display unit, lead for weights, tools, manuals.... and so on...

This is the unit in the box. It will be padded with CNC machined foam (I hope) in the future. For now I will just pad it with some kind of foam, just to protect the towfish and the electronics.

Please comment if you have anny suggestions to me!

regards,
    Glenn from Norway

Now I have tested the M1 system in the water.
    It is a bit more difficult to tune this system, compared to e.g. a Sportscan system. But when you get the basic setting right, the images are pretty good. I have better images on this system after 3 hours of use, than after 2 weeks with the Sportscan 330kHz.

Here are two screendumps from the Lowrance playback file. I asume that the images will be even better when I manage to save the sounder files in maximum resolution, and have learned how to fine-tune the settings on the sidplay unit for the sonar.

Glenn

Comment

The system have now been tested a few times.
      Todays recorings can be seen here:

I dare to say that these images are really great for a sonar system of that price! I did NOT get this good images with the Sportscan system I used last summer.

Glenn

Comment

help me please

Hello i,m interested in build a sidescan with my laptop, can you send me plans, schema, circuit.... to interface the transducers and how make it.
        thanks for all
        my e-mail is [email protected]

Comment

Cable extention

Hello
          I have a burton electronics sonar with the 100 ft cable. Does anybody know if I can attach a cable extention of 100 ft more?

Comment

200ft should be ok, as I had 200ft on my Burton M1.
            There might be some signal loss if you use connectors instead of a one-piece 200ft cable, but I can't see that this would cause any problems.

You could yous try it out, and post the results here.
            And you could e-mail Mr. Burton with your question.

Glenn

Comment

Building sidescan sonar

Hi!

Im gašper from Slovenia, Europ and im scuba diving so thats why im interested in building my own side scan sonar!

So can you send me plans, schema, circuit.... to interface the transducers and how make it.

Thanks!

Gašper

My e-mail: [email protected]

Comment

The Burton Fish?

I think I will buy one but has anyone used both the standard and the high res system is the differance worth a grand. Cheers Guys keep up the good work!!

Comment

I have not used the "normal-res" system, but the pics I have seen makes it worth the extra $$ for the Extra-high-res system. The "extras" is a box that filters out a lot of noise, and give you alot more clear pictures.

Send Mr. Burton a e-mail, and you will get valuable info back! He is a great guy, giving alot of feedback when you buy a system.

Kind regards,
                  Glenn

Comment

M1

Glenn,
                    What fishfinder unit came with your package from Burtonelectronics? Whats the make and model?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                      Glenn,
                      What fishfinder unit came with your package from Burtonelectronics? Whats the make and model?
                      Lowrance LMS-480

Comment

Burton Hi Res M1 SideScan

I have a neary new M1 200ft with a Lowrance LX15 for sale £1750 to your door. [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                        X