Help to identify a sonar image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help to identify a sonar image

Can anyone help me to identify this image?

As far as I recall, the image is recorded on the 60meter range.

Could it be the stern of a boat on the seafloor?

reg,
    Glenn

Here are another picture of the object, showed next to a picture of a 60`tug-boat. I can't imagine that his could be the same object, and the GPS position tells me that it is about 50 meters between the two. And I have only a few meters with cable out, so the layback should not be that much.

Any one that have any suggestions? When I se the tug, it seems right that the image was recorded at 60m range. The two objects seen in this picture was recorded on the same sweep.

Glenn

Comment

Just a guess...

That looks a lot like the top cover of a barge, like they use for moving coal. Do you know about how wide the object is?

Rip

Comment

Originally posted by UWLocator
        That looks a lot like the top cover of a barge, like they use for moving coal. Do you know about how wide the object is?

Rip
        I have no idea. The scan is done at 60meters range, and the boat on the right picture is 60 feet long. But I have no idea about the size of the object on the left.
        I recon' it could be a steam-boiler, as it seems the right size and there have been a shipyard just a few hundred meters upstream.

I have two scans of this object, and they both seems just alike. They have been done at different ranges, and with different approach, so I imagine that the object has the shape of an boiler.

There are also two barges at the same shipyard, but if either one of them have had a top cover is unknown. These barges have been used for dredging, so I can't really see why they shold have any top cover.

Thanks for your feedback, I'm happy for all the sugestions I can get!

Glenn

Comment

It is the same wreck

Comment

It can't be. The last picture is two parts of the same scan, without turning the boat! And according to the GPS position the two objects is about 50meters apart.
            If the weather if fine to morrow, I will put the boat out and do some more scans of this object.

So folks, stay tuned...

Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by Glennk
              It can't be. The last picture is two parts of the same scan, without turning the boat! And according to the GPS position the two objects is about 50meters apart.
              If the weather if fine to morrow, I will put the boat out and do some more scans of this object.

So folks, stay tuned...

Glenn
              I have to correct my self. It seems like I in fact did a turn. I discovered when I plotted in the position of the pings.

Unregistered, how could you tell that it was the same wreck just looking at the pictures?
              Are there anything in the picture that tells you that it was the same wreck? The werck sits on the bottom, in a slope, and wreck is tilted about 30 degrees. It is an old tug.

Glenn

Comment

tell me how to post a JPEG pic on this site and I will show you

Comment

That is easy. When you reply, use the "Post Reply" button instead of "Quick Reply". Scroll down and you will see Attach Files, under Additional Options. JPEG is one of the accepted file types.

Rip

Comment

Or do it like I do it, as not every board supports images in the messages.
                    I use www.photobucket.com to upload my images, and just paste a link to the images into the message on the forum.
                    Photobucket is a free service.

Glenn

Comment

here it is

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...etation101.jpg

Comment

What about these marked spots on the sonar. Any idea how to interpret the one on the right?
                        The other two is clearly not naturaly, but man-made objects.

Thanks for any help.

Glenn

Comment

To accuratley interpret targets or features it is necessary to prosecute the target on different headings ,and range scales until enogh information is gathered to allow an accurate interpretation. This one pass is not sufficient.

Comment

I think you have a site that would be interesting to check out further. It appears that you have several other objects in that scan as well as the ones that you marked. I agree that it would be best to scan those from other angles to help get some definition. I would be thinking hard about putting the gear on and seeing just what is there. Or, at least, dropping a camera and checking it out.

Rip

Comment

I understand that you guys have a great part of knowledge in sonar systems.
                              So I'll try to ask you about another thing as well.

I have a Weaverley SPU that I an planning to hook up to a computer, so that I can record the images on the computer, and use the computer to show the results form the sonar, and even create mosaiq of the scans.

BUT: I dont know where to get the needed signals from the fish/SPU!
                              I asume that it must be on the TVG ramp/delay generator board I would find the signals?

Thanks for any feedback!

Glenn

Comment

Working...
                              X