Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sidescan

hi
    New to this site but really impressed by the comments.
    i am looking to purchase a sidescan sonar and am looking at the sportscan dual freq model. I have since noticed a sidescan by garry burton and the quality of the images looks to be fantastic quality. Does anyone have any photos from the sportscan so i can compare the quality, as i have only seen photos from the makers.
    The area i have to cover is quite large so i think the sportscan will be the better option being a dual freq model, but is the quality any good?
    My brother has just started a dream job as a trainey rov pilot for one of the large oil companys, i will pick his brains when he gets back on dry land-mind you the rov he is working with costs 25.000.000 pounds, so i think there may be a differece? i could always start saving i surpose?
    Hope someone can help with photos
    many thanks
    jeff lewis

Hi,

Check this. Not Sportscan but a european product in that class. Better photos at their website but you have to accept it's in finnish.

http://www.ramers.fi/esitteet/PINGFI...re%20(eng).pdf

/Swede

Comment

sidescan

Hi
      Looks like a single scan model though and i think because of the size of my intended search area a dual freq one would be better as i can cover twice as much ground.
      It certainly looks good though, especailly as it does not require a laptop so can be used in an open boat. I already have a laptop so I don,t have to worry about getting one, and i am currently looking at closed boats. I am hoping to be fully up and running by the end of this year so will have a whole season of searching to look forward to.
      Cheers
      jeff

Comment

There are currently a Sportscan for sale here in Norway, a 330kHz model.
        This is my old Sportscan, so I know the equipment and the computer.
        It is a 230mHz MMX IBM Thinkpad included in the package, as well as a storage/shipping case.
        The whole package was CAN $5529 or something last June when I bought it from Shark Marine.

The seller now wants 30.000 Norwegian Kroner (about 4750-4800 US$)

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Hi,

Check this. Not Sportscan but a european product in that class. Better photos at their website but you have to accept it's in finnish.

/Swede
          It's actually more in the Borton class than the Sportscan, but the system of Henrik Ramm-Schmidt is actually very nice.

Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by diverelvis View Post
            Hi
            Looks like a single scan model though and i think because of the size of my intended search area a dual freq one would be better as i can cover twice as much ground.
            Hi Jeff,

Don't get confused about the dual frequency / dual channel stuff....

The Sportscan comes in two configurations, singel frequency, and the dual frequency (DF).

Both of these will cover both port and starboard side as you scan, as they are dual CHANNEL sidescan sonars.
            The dual FREQUENCY of the DF version indicates that it can operate at either 330kHz or 800kHz, selectable form the software running on the computer.

The 330kHz covers up to 120meters per side, giving a total of 240 meter swath. The 800kHz will cover up to 60 meters per side or something, giving a total of 120meter swath, but with higher resolution of the image.

regards,
            Glenn

Comment

Sonar images

Hi,
              i do not have a sportscan sonar but an Edgetech 272Td dual frequency.
              You can see images in both frequency, bust mostly in 400Khz at our internet site: www.ceresm.com.
              Feel free to email for any help
              Cheers
              Bertrand

Attached Files

Comment

The Edgetech system is a very nice piece of equipment! But it also has a price that shows what class its in. It is not exactly in the same class that the Sportscan or the Burton!

I can see that you are using the Edgetech with a computer, what aqusition software are used, and what mosaiq software?

Do you have any pictures of the actual system?

Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by Glennk View Post
                  The Edgetech system is a very nice piece of equipment! But it also has a price that shows what class its in. It is not exactly in the same class that the Sportscan or the Burton!

I can see that you are using the Edgetech with a computer, what aqusition software are used, and what mosaiq software?

Do you have any pictures of the actual system?

Glenn
                  Well,
                  You have most of all the information you want on our site www.ceresm.com.
                  I have two systems 272 EG&G runing by a special computer and TEI (triton imagning)software, including nav, images, target & mosaic.
                  Cheers
                  bertrand

Comment

The ping fish loks good but having looked at the web site there is no English version to get a price and more details.
                    Shame that
                    jeff

Comment

Originally posted by diverelvis View Post
                      The ping fish loks good but having looked at the web site there is no English version to get a price and more details.
                      Shame that
                      jeff
                      About 5000 Euros, depending on configuration.
                      Here is a link to the English version of the brochure.

As far as I can understand, the system is based on the same principles as the Burton, but with a more "heavy duty" towfish. The system looks really nice!

Glenn

Comment

Burton sidescan

Hi folks,
                        Thought i would bring you up to date with happenings. As you know i could not make up my mind as to whether to order a sportsscan or a burton.
                        Well I have made the decision based upon feedback from this site and have just ordered the Burton sidescan. So thanks for all your helpfull comments and photos.
                        Am really looking forward to receiving it now and then getting out on the water to try her out.
                        I know plenty of shipwrecks close in to shore and how they actually look from diving on them so many times, so will be interesting to see how the image of them looks.
                        As soon as i get any usefull images I will post them on this site for feedback.

Cheers jeff

Comment

Looking forward to se the results!
                          I have several good scans with the Burton M1 unit.

But remember that you get better results if you keep the sensibility of the sonar at high settings. It looks bad on the sonar display, but you get really great results when you review them on tha computer afterwards!

Glenn

Comment

sidescans for sale

Hi guys,
                            Check out e bay for some really cheap tow fish and printers.
                            75 pounds for 600m per side tow fish and 3 different printers.
                            I would buy myslf but would not be able to work out how it all goes together. Im sure some of you guys will be able to.
                            Go to www.ebay.co.uk
                            and type in sidescan sonar.
                            Get your wallets ready
                            Hope this helps someone
                            Cheers
                            jeff

Comment

SportScan sonar

Hi, Glennk

do you have data from your Imagenex SportScan that you could send me?
                              or any jpeg or bmp?

what is your feeling about the sportscan single freq? does the dual freq be a good investment?

my e-mail: [email protected]

Best regards,
                              Hugo Ferreira
                              www.lsa.isep.ipp.pt

Originally posted by Glennk View Post
                              There are currently a Sportscan for sale here in Norway, a 330kHz model.
                              This is my old Sportscan, so I know the equipment and the computer.
                              It is a 230mHz MMX IBM Thinkpad included in the package, as well as a storage/shipping case.
                              The whole package was CAN $5529 or something last June when I bought it from Shark Marine.

The seller now wants 30.000 Norwegian Kroner (about 4750-4800 US$)

Comment

Working...
                              X