sportscan help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sportscan help

Have the dual frequency of the above. To get it to the 100 ft limit I find I have to load it up with weights along with the depressor wing. Also find I have to use the full 200 ft of tow cable in the water to achieve this. For my purpose it is paramount to get the fish to the 100ft limit. I need extra cable now to go from the back of the boat to the cabin, possibly another 35 ft.
    Have heard two lines of thought.
    1. the reason for the 100 ft rating is that the towfish housing will not stand water pressure below this level.
    2. another was that the overall unit did not have the power to send the signal further than the 200 hundred feet. Can vaguely recall that this person successfully put some sort of booster to overcome this problem.

Just wonder if anyone could comment on the above, I would greatly value expert opinion. Will be operating in a water depth of 170-180 ft, salt water, sand and flat unobstructed bottom. Can one expect to gain good resolution under these circumstances at the outer extremities of the 400ft range with this unit, at 2.5 to 3 Knots. Many thanks, Cheers Desperate.

coverage

I can't say anything about the depth restrictions. As far as imaging, the unit should give coverage out to the 400' range when towed 90 feet above the bottom. The beam angle will return the best signals from about 250 feet out. There will be an area directly below the boat about 100' wide (50 to each side) that will not return a signal (or an extremely weak/unreliable one). As always, the best practice is to test your condition with known objects in the water you intend to search.

Comment

You are going to miss a pretty sizeable area under the tow fish by towing at this height above the sea floor. With this unit you would typically want to be no more than 20-25' max to get the best coverage.

Just wondering, where are you working with this unit?

RGecy

Comment

Sportscan Help

Originally posted by rgecy View Post
        You are going to miss a pretty sizeable area under the tow fish by towing at this height above the sea floor. With this unit you would typically want to be no more than 20-25' max to get the best coverage.

Just wondering, where are you working with this unit?

RGecy
        Will be using it in the Gulf of Carpentaria, Northern Australia. Purpose is to locate a submerged WW2 Catalina. On tests to date the dead band is 140 ft. If the operation gets under way it will mean that every second run will have to cover the deadband of the first. Tedious process as it means coverage of some areas twice. Many thanks for your imput.

Comment

Is it possable to modify the sportscan

Is it possable to modify the sportscan unit to give greater depth. What is the weakest part of the sportscan that could be improved.

Comment

Originally posted by sportscanuser View Post
            Is it possable to modify the sportscan unit to give greater depth. What is the weakest part of the sportscan that could be improved.
            Have eventually found from another reliable source that the towfish housing of the sportscan will not take the pressure greater than a 100 ft. Also the 200 ft cable is the maximum length that the signal can be sent. A little more research reveals that the total 200ft of cable can be used in the water and a booster can be used on the USB cable going from the Keyspan to the computer which allows one to have the computer at the front of a larger boat. Hope this is of help.

Comment

Working...
            X