Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagenex Sportscan

Hi,

I've recently purchased an Imagenex Sportscan unit and there are a couple of things that I'm still trying to get to grips with and was wondering if anyone could help.

Firstly, when reviewing the data that the sonar has gathered when I move the cursor around the screen the lat / long information moves around too - I'm a bit confused as to whether this means that you can use this to accurately pinpoint targets that have been picked up on the data. I'm aware that some of the dealers that sell the Sportscan sonar also sell software (layback and offset software) giving the impression that this software is required in order to give the accurate GPS positions of the targets. Can you tell me if this is the case, or is it just meant to help you compensate for the length of cable being used seeing as the GPS is actually on the boat and not the towfish itself ?

Secondly, the part of the instruction manual that refers to enabling speed correction is kind of confusing in that it still leaves me unsure whether I should have speed correction ticked when I also have speed from GPS ticked.

Thirdly, although I have the GPS lat / long displayed whilst operating the Sportscan, the small circular heading display does not function - after much head scratching I'm still not sure why this is.

Sorry for so many questions - I hope someone will be able to enlighten me !

Many thanks

sportscan

the Lat/Long coordinates are those of the location of the gps unit (on the boat). If you watch closely, as you move from the center of the scan to the left or right side of the scan one of the numbers Lat or Long will not chnage (depends on the direction of travel).
    A layback offset calculation is needed to determine the exact coordinates. However, if you do any detailed scans of a target, odds are you will pass over or very near the target (close enough to use the onboard GPS location.
    Speed correction only effects the display. The sonar transmits and receives based on the range and frequency. IF the boat movement through the water is faster or slower than the ping rate the images will be distorted on the screen ( a circle will be oblong ) using speed correction will always make the screen image of a circle look like a circle.

The mouse pointer must over some part of the scan to make the Lat/Long and the compass display any signal data (speed, course, distance from center, compass and GPS data) move the mouse pointer around until you start to get readings

Comment

Working...
    X