Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running the old Humminbird SI transducer at 800 kHz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running the old Humminbird SI transducer at 800 kHz?

Hi,

Those of you who have a Humminbird 997 or 1197 and use it with a 1:st generation SI transducer (the one that came with the 981/987 models), have you ever tried to operate it with the setting for the 2:nd generation HDSI transducer? If you have, I would be very interest the learn about your experiences. I'm particularly curious about the result when you run at 800 kHz. I know everything will work just fine at 455 kHz. The reason I ask is the fact that the SI transducer has a secondary resonant frequency at 786 kHz (3 x 262 kHz). This is not very far from 800 kHz so there is a chance for a result at the 800 kHz setting. If this works it means the old SI transducer can be used for sideimaging at three frequencies: 262, 455 and 800 kHz.

Your humble but curious sonar friend,
    Rickard

PS My simple 981 can't run at 800/786 kHz - yet....

Humminbird 997si

Recently I purchased a 997si, I am still testing on different settings, screen colors, range,etc. Which settings would you use working in 50-100 feet depth clear caribbean water? what about in 100-200 feet?
    I got the std transducer, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    I bought it interested in the side imaging feature, but there is very little information on si in the manual.
    Thanks
    bucanero

Comment

Hello Bucanero,

There are probably other people, with experience from using your unit in your type of water, who can comment on this better than I can. The Baltic sea and nordic lakes are very different from the Caribbean. Here the sea is almost as sweet as a lake and visibility is almost nonexistent compared to what I think you have. I know of three forums where sideimaging with Humminbird units is discussed:

This is the "old" unofficial Humminbird forum:
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaging/

And the "new" unofficial Humminbird forum:
      http://www.xumba.scholleco.com/

Both sites contain several thousands posts on anything you can think of in relation to sideimaging. Recommended settings is a common issue. At both forums some Humminbird employees give advice and answers (on their spare time and coffee-brakes etc so you can't demand anything from them).

There is also a forum that was dedicated to one specific issue, best transducer for sideimaging in saltwater:
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/saltwa...gsonarsystems/

Unfortunately, activity in this forum is very low now but there are alot of posts to search.

Kind regards,
      Rickard

Comment

Last try....

My question on the effect of running the old Humminbird SI transducer, the one that was designed to operate at 262 and 455 kHz, at 800 kHz with any of the models that can be set at 800 kHz never got any answer. I think there are many Humminbird owners who use the old transducer with their newer units because of better penetration in salwater. Unintentional setting at 800 kHz must have happened many times. What was the result at those occasions?

Many thanks for any answer
        Rickard

Comment

I had 997 set up with the old transducer for a while and it would let you set the to 800khz, but it didn't work.

The new transducers with 800khz are much better. I use the Humminbird extensively and have many comparison images.

Good Luck,

Robert

Comment

Thanks Robert!

Ok, then I know I have to change transducer in case I purchase a new instrument and want to use it at 800 kHz.

Rickard

Comment

Working...
            X