Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to record depths with HB 797c2

Hi all
    I'm looking for suggestions on how to record depth data with humminbird 797 and then to convert to x,y,z values.

I need to measure depths of a shallow lagoon in the north of Italy and I own a 797 sideimaging system by humminbird.
    I know that it can record images in continuous on a SD card, then I saw that it's possible to convert to yellow fin .872 or deep view sonar .dvs format with HBSI data file converter. No way found right now to convert to x,y,z ascii file (or something like a textual log with Lat, long, depth)

The thing I need is to extract the depth behind the bottom of my boat and to use it in a later interpolation.

Is it possible?

Thanks in advance
    Pietro

Hi Pietro,

This forum has become rather passive so perhaps you will have to wait for good answers. It seems as this is the place where things are happening these days: http://www.xumba.scholleco.com/

Look under the heading for software development. I think people have been discussing your issue there.

Regards,
    Rickard

Comment

That really has nothing to do with side imaging features of the Humminbird. Basically you are looking for bathymetric data. It can be extracted as well very easily. I have heard of some guys using a program called Dr Depth. Although I have never used it!

Do a search and I am sure you find some mor einfo on it.

There are also forums dedicated to the use of the Humminbird Units.

http://www.xumba.scholleco.com/index.php

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaging/

Good Luck,

Robert Gecy

Comment

Hi all
        Thanks for the kind reply

unluckily DrDepth can't handle .son files..

A note on Humminbird SI instruments: The Humminbird side scanning instruments will allow you to record sonar data (.dat/.son files). Currently these files cannot be imported into DrDepth, they do not contain depth information. But Humminbird is adding this feature to the log files with new firmware versions, and together with their new data converter utility, hopefully it will be possible to import the log files into DrDepth in the future. As is now, there is one reported way to get data from .dat/.son files: replay the file on the device and retrieve data through NMEA.
        I'll look around if there will be some different approach.

Bie
        pieri

Comment

pieri,

Did you ever get the data you needed?

The NMEA output seems to be the only way right now. I have seen some guys using GPSBabel.

Not sure what all it does, but it converts a bunch of different formats.

Robert

Comment

Working...
          X