Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beautiful sonar images

See very good images from sonar in this blog from March 20-2007
    with this accuracy it will be easy to find a treasure , but it is ONLY for the PRO business research...$$$
    Alexis.
    http://geosolutions.blogspot.com/

Moin von der Insel

Originally posted by Alexismex View Post
    but it is ONLY for the PRO business research...$$$
    And what about this

Coaster near island of Norderney

2 gas pipelines hanging in free water

The whole Sidescan system costs about 4000 $
    Not only for the Pro´s

Heiko

Comment

Originally posted by Alexismex View Post
      See very good images from sonar in this blog from March 20-2007
      with this accuracy it will be easy to find a treasure , but it is ONLY for the PRO business research...$$$
      Alexis.
      http://geosolutions.blogspot.com/

That would be my blog. Glad you enjoyed the images. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle Kingman View Post
        That would be my blog. Glad you enjoyed the images. Cheers!
        Hi Kyle,

could you give us some numbers? Like how long would it take to search for a sunken container in an area of 500 square miles?

What kind of cost would we be looking at?

Tinkerer

Comment

Originally posted by Tinkerer View Post
          Hi Kyle,

could you give us some numbers? Like how long would it take to search for a sunken container in an area of 500 square miles?

What kind of cost would we be looking at?

Tinkerer

Fortunately containers are relatively easy to find, provided they are laying somewhat intact on a sedimentary seabed. They're the ideal side scan target on muddy or sandy bottoms. The amount of search time largely depends on the water depth.
          Let's say the water is 200ft deep, running 4 kts with a side scan sonar at 150m range per channel, with line spacing 200m (50m overlap per line).
          That gives you about 177 lines each 22 miles long. It would take about 4.8 hrs per line, so 35 straight 24-hr operational days of online time, not including turns. Deeper water means more cable out and longer turn times. In 200ft I would say about 10 minutes per turn, so that adds a whole day once it adds up. The turn time increases somewhat linearly with increasing depth, unless you're using an AUV which is lovely. I once found a cargo container in 1000m with an AUV. The turn time was about 2 minutes.

As for cost, it mainly depends on the water and area you're working in. Obviously if you're working offshore in deep water you'll need a vessel capable of handling some moderate seas, berthing a full crew and survey team for possibly weeks on end. This is pricey. I think the last offshore vessel I worked on ran about $30K/day. Then again, I've worked on small inshore boats (less than 90 ft long) which were several thousand per day or less. However, these small vessels are incapable of staying out for 24-hrs so you have to add your transit time to and from your work area, personnel costs, fuel, lodging, docking fees etc. Then again, if you're out working 24-hrs you have two shifts of personnel, so you effectively need twice the crew and survey team to pay and feed. Also, area is very important for costs. Some areas (in some cases entire countries) are bargains for working offshore whereas others are brutally expensive.
          Anyhow, I hope that gives you something to mull over.
          If you need specific information or to discuss something sensitive, you can email me at:
          [email protected]

Good luck and happy hunting
          --
          Kyle Kingman

Comment

Working...
          X