LSS-1 side scan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi
    Bigkahuna, fair call on your ROV, i would say an ROV normally has a camera, 75ohms is solid core, making it a moot point if side-scan is as well, certainly an ROV places less stress to a cable...
    I can certainly see advantages for ROV, given though, even a basic Humminbird & LSS-1 can easily do 15mtrs... and a basic mod to an LSS-1 (Extension cable & fish) 800khz will reach 21m in salt water... A ROV seems allot of work given the intended depth...

I spent last night reading & reading web pages on the Humminbird, and while allot of comparisons and some nice test with the two units, their objective was “finding fish”, and just because you own either unit, even for years, doesn’t mean they know how to use it...

Fair to say, the expectation is that fish should come with “labels” that a fish finder should state it is a Bait fish, Tuna or Marlin... They have no idea even if an Octopus was hanging off their transducer or if all 8 arms were waving to them in a side-scan, they would still never see it along with most other fish for a multitude of reasons... (For me fish just get in the way of a nice scan)

In summing up in my opinion, the Hummingbird is what it says it is, a “side scan” unit, very strong in terrain aspects... Their early version was a technical correct down-scan... Weaker in detailing objects on the ground....

Lowrance structure scan is what it says it is, a “structure scan”... very strong in detailing objects on the ground, (A fictional down-scan based on fact) allot weaker in dealing with terrain aspects.... Ideally one of each solves most problems...

The att image (if this works) while deep for an 800Hkz (sea water 18mtrs) high lights my point...

Generally speaking side-scan loves flat bottoms, no obstacles, allot of open space to work in... Sadly my projects have none of that, steep terrain, rolling hills, 20/40m cliff faces, submerged caves, sinkholes, tall trees, poles, building & bridges... etc, but only down to 50mtrs...

So i started in April this year with a friend’s Lowrance Burton( 100m cable,200Khz Left-scan) who up-dated to a Sea King (150m cable, max depth 40mtrs 325Hkz Chirped, LR 200m SS) (mega bucks) even with only 10m of cable out, while they failed miserably came home, yep love side-scan and since April tried to sort out way to scan this area for a trip next year...

Hence, my LSS-1 has as many mod’s i can think of to scan the project.... I all ready know my little fish is going to get his little face smashed in, that’s life, so he has got to be bullet proof along with functional for the project... (cables being pulled out is not unthinkable)

With the Humminbird, i couldn’t find any clear-cut results, given extension to the fish, power drop issues, problem solving, over true distance / scan results... easy to say you can run one 100m down, but we all know the power drop means it most likely doesn’t work... so what is a Fair-dinkum result..?
    Cheer Stu
    Attached Files

Comment

Not really pertinent to the topic at hand, but just for your information:

i would say an ROV normally has a camera, 75ohms is solid core, making it a moot point if side-scan is as well, certainly an ROV places less stress to a cable...
      I've been around quite a few ROV's and the only solid core leads in an umbilical that I've ever seen were fibre optics for control or video signals. I've never seen any solid core metal wires used. As for video signals, coax is sometimes used, but more commonly video is sent up with a single twisted pair using balun converters like this one: http://www.active-vision.com/Passive...abl-1p03-c.htm That's how it's done on my ROV.

Interesting observations and comments on the LW vs HB units. I'm not in a position to voice an opinion as I've not used either system yet, so I'll sit back and learn from those who have.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart View Post
        Hi

With the Humminbird, i couldn’t find any clear-cut results, given extension to the fish, power drop issues, problem solving, over true distance / scan results... easy to say you can run one 100m down, but we all know the power drop means it most likely doesn’t work... so what is a Fair-dinkum result..?
        Stu,

I don't think you can expect to find clear-cut results since there's so much tweeking involved. Some of us have been very successful and some have failed. Those who have failed seem to have interference issues caused by the vessel and its systems. Long cables can feed the unit with a receive signal, but it's weak. Therefore the systems get sensitive to noise and only those who happen to have a `low-noise´ boat get good results. The units can't display the full receive signal, but when shown on a computer with a viewer even the weak signals emerge. The usable range is about 30 ft longer than what's displayed on water. Also the resolution is much better than the unit display tells.

You must have missed some info in the Humminbird forums because there has been much talk about other things than fishing. Several people have built towfish systems with long cables and presented very nice results. The record keeper is a Swiss guy who use 110 m (330 ft) with high-end cable and a re-built and extended transducer. He has presented nice results even at 800 kHz. My own system has 50 m with shielded ethernet patch cable with individually shielded pairs. I have used the system for two years and scanned wast areas down to 40 m and I'm very pleased with the results. The beam width in the original transducer is too wide so I have joined two transducers to get better horizontal resolution at longer range. For winter conditions I have developed a simple method for `radar´ scanning under ice. These results are superior to the summer scannings because ice doesn't move and there's no noise source (boat) around. Since I'm so pleased with the system I dropped the idea to use Lowrance and the LSS-1 a long time ago, but I'm still very curious the see what's achievable with that gear!

Rickard

Comment

@ Rickard - Any idea what kind of cable that Swiss guy used? What's the longest length shielded CAT6 cable you've successfully used? Any issues with water seeping into the cable?

Comment

Yes, before we chatted, i saw your transducer cutting, still haven’t got my head round what you where trying to do and saw your Radar, figure you might have something to do with Dr Depth...
            Your Radar is a very clever adaption... well done.
            Basically i think the difference between the units while minor have an impact... for example the HDS10 has such a great screen res, everything else seems somewhat second rate.... more so viewing other scans... which doesnt make them bad, I have seen one (i think) a Kevin 600Hkz that is just an image of perfection...
            The LSS-1 just scans, there are no adjustments, the earlyer image is just how it is...
            The standard raw data in the Lowrance sonar viewer,; (the 3 options); means basically the 3 ranges of a sounder; (Left)= Surface, (Down)= mid, (Right)= bottom, with each view having 4 separate colour ranges, along with surface clarity (effects track & Left scan) and of course Advanced signal processing (filters interference) + (sensitivity & colour balance) etc, so it can favour a rather stunning “Right Scan” in processing... Using only the 1 colour range option works from track out wards...
            Dr Depth has a really nice colour range, and you can open a track, sadly nothing else really works for LSS-1 Side Scan... and even then a scan feels a little second rate... My point, without a good add-on software package an LSS-1 will always remain in the shadow of a Hummingbird... But i reckon it would whoop it senseless....
            In saying that you got to go with the flow, and reluctantly, maybe a Hummingbird would be better for the deep stuff & add-on software.... So just getting a better understand doent hurt, However i did order another LSS-1 single transducer (30deg 800/55deg 455) along with another extention lead, to-day, so havent thrown the towel in just yet...
            Cheer Stu

Comment

Bigkahuna, The Swiss guy use a cable he calls Alpha-byte 6076C. I have used 50 m with shielded Cat-6 cable so I don't know how much longer you could make it. I know a German guy who will test with 100 m with the same type as I use, but he is sent abroad to serve with the UN right now. Oh yes, I got a leak when ice-scanning and the cable was filled with water! Believe it or not, but there was no visible effect to the image. The leak was caused by a wrinkle and my careless handling. I emptied the cable and dried it and now it works fine again.

Stu, No, I have no contact with DrDepth, he has developed his own radar method. DrDepth is impressive and the reason why I don't use it is simply lack of time - I'm occupied with my present tools and methods and they are sufficient this far.

Rickard

Comment

Rickard my apology for the link, more impressive really, you do it because you wanted too...

So we have a winner RS-232C & RS-422 compatible, a specialized cable for extended distance transmissions, 6076C, favour the 6079C, 30m or 305m lengths, 9 pairs 24 AWG, 15mm Dia, 30V AWM / 300V CM... Round sheath at 1.65mm thick... a slight issue not actually in this country, see what i can do about that...
                Cheers Stu

Comment

Here's the company product page (US): http://www.alphawire.com/en/Products...rol/6079C.aspx

@Stuart - Looks like stranded wire to me. Why do you need 9 pairs?

Have you considered using a marine cable instead? Falmat Inc. (http://www.falmat.com/) makes a marine CAT5e cable that has a kevlar sheath giving it a breaking strength of around 1000 lbs (500 kg). They also make a wide variety of other marine cables. I've got a sample of the CAT5e cable here in front of me and it's super heavy duty stuff with a very thick PVC cover.

Comment

Regarding cables, We have several cable manufacturers here in Norway, that has cables suited for your use.
                    There are several manufacturers manufacturing cables for the marine-/oil-/fising industries.

I could take a look for you, if you give me some specs that you need to have?
                    Nm before breaking, amount of leads and dimentions (square/mm2?), current, shielding and so on.

If anyone could point me a link for the specs of the transducers used, I might get the values for the cable from the specs.

Comment

Here's a diagram of the cable used with the Humminbird SI transducer. Not sure what the wire sizes are though:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comment

Thanks
                        Sourcing anything, in this case, when you know of the company and the cable name works... otherwise more hit and miss... and the hit & miss wasn’t working to well...
                        It is not just about extending a LSS-1 transducer, equally & ideally to be able scan steep terrain...
                        What i do know from the small fish and allot test & error, it can’t be done easily... but it can be done...
                        Ideally to be able “dial in” (rotate a transducer to work 90 deg’s to the slope) while selecting a transducer angle to suit (On/Off) , either 30/55 & 75/115 Standard.... or 30/55deg single... while excluding transducers (on/off) that echo off the water surface or each other, while trolling along with a toe fish within the 70m range, while reading a book on how to do this... Is all basically simple really...
                        Hence just 1 LSS-1 / 3 head transducer is 9 wires; it doesn’t make a great deal of difference switching between transducers at the fish (lss1 box in a box) or on the surface at this stage, you still run allot of wires either way (the box can more easily rotate the heads) more a question will 9 pairs (18 wires) work, run the power (4 amp start up)... don’t know
                        A single cable is more ideal, So the 30m 6079C seems an ideal place to start as a in water test lead...
                        Cheers Stu

Comment

Hi
                          An update in brief
                          Unable to get the 6079C cable (9 pairs) instead i got the 6076C (6 pairs)(30.5m roll from the UK) Yes for signal strength there is no drop, and surprisingly it worked perfectly well for the LSS-1 transducer... It is the cost issue of a 305m roll for only 50m of cable need to run an extend box/fish, via the Ethernet cable, with certain unknowns that this is on hold....

While the Ethernet uses 4 wirers, the extra wirers needed were for a power supply, transducer rotation and manipulation control of the 3 heads on & off for improved scanning images...

So i have a new 30m cable & LSS-1 transducer fish (9 wirers)(2 spare)... transducer rotation is currently manual (time consuming but effective) head switching (Off & on) is done on the boat via short link between the fish cable & box (effective)
                          The question if the LSS-1 transducer (given the liquid state when in use) would cope with water pressure is still inconclusive, current at 16mtrs it works but weird things are happening... Scan Distance out, not 100% sure if i have lost any with the deeper fish yet...Even so the best scans yet...fish scan depth is under perfect control via speed...

The down side, the cable sheath is a loose fit over the wirers, to reinforce it, (Cable is 12.5mm) i split a 13mm garden polo pipe (28 cents per/m) and wrap it over the cable and wrapped duct-tape around ever 30mm leaving a 5m gap (900 of them) the idea of the gap is allow air & water to come and go + straight wrap over spiral has less drag issues... added elect tape per metre to secure the 3mm stainless cable (it does slide and take the load) vice grips on a 8mm x 1.5m shock cord on a short Ext tube off the side of the boat (Neat trick to overcome minor boat movement (pitch & roll) transmitting to the fish and/or for shock load should the fish snag) slack cable with a second vice grip to hold the cable on the boat just in case... The short ext tube 400mm long off the side removes the threat of prop snag, boat hang up and importantly decreases the effects of motor interference...

What went wrong, the fish weight is around 10kg, with 12m of cable in the water, and effectively 11m down at slow speed, the bugger acted like a sea anchor, anymore cable out my little boat would only do left hand circles... and there was new minor signal interference (Scan noise)....

Take 2... Now with a 10kg weight & rope on the opposite side, i now have 2 sea anchors and the boat goes straight.... + mods (a 50% reduction in scan noise)
                          There are other minor scan issues with noise plus the space & scan time factor worthy of a new thread...
                          Cheers Stu

Comment

Working...
                          X