Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Selective Frequency

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Carl-NC
    replied
    You do not need to resonate the RX coil. Yes, it works as a BPF and reduces thermal noise and EMI. I don't understand the last two questions.

    Leave a comment:


  • Daves
    replied
    Originally posted by Carl-NC View Post
    All the ferrites I have produce either 0° or 180° responses. Skippy is right, orientation matters, especially with DD coils. He may also be right, that there may be some lossy ferrites that give oddball phase shifts.
    Hi Carl, Is it necessary to put a resonance capacitance on the RX coil for a detector that will work with a single frequency?
    Does the resonant capacity work as a band pass filter?
    Even if we resonate the RX at one frequency, it is operating at the frequency of the TX.
    What is the difference of resonance capacity in analog and digital?
    In TX, more amplitude is obtained at the resonant frequency, but the RX coil will not work at its own resonant frequency anyway. It will work at the TX frequency, then what does the capacity do?​

    Leave a comment:


  • Carl-NC
    replied
    All the ferrites I have produce either 0° or 180° responses. Skippy is right, orientation matters, especially with DD coils. He may also be right, that there may be some lossy ferrites that give oddball phase shifts.

    Leave a comment:


  • Daves
    replied
    Originally posted by Skippy View Post
    Bringing long ferrite rods up to a search-coil can give different results depending on orientation. I have always brought the end of the rod towards the centre of the coil, with the rod perpendicular to the plane of the coil -- that seems to give consistent behaviour. But if you have the rod flat, (so both ends of the rod are the same distance from the coil) , the orientation of the rod seems important, so I never use rods that way.
    In which direction should the RX signal be relative to the TX? + or - ?
    So 1.jpg or 2.jpg ? (on previous page)​

    Leave a comment:


  • Skippy
    replied
    Bringing long ferrite rods up to a search-coil can give different results depending on orientation. I have always brought the end of the rod towards the centre of the coil, with the rod perpendicular to the plane of the coil -- that seems to give consistent behaviour. But if you have the rod flat, (so both ends of the rod are the same distance from the coil) , the orientation of the rod seems important, so I never use rods that way.

    Leave a comment:


  • Daves
    replied
    Originally posted by Skippy View Post
    Carl's suggestion that 'any ferrite should be OK' is not 100% accurate. Some very high mu ferrite materials, usually ones designed to absorb high frequency energy, give unusual results. They are commonly painted green, and are found on mains ( 50 Hz / 60 Hz ) power filters, such as common-mode filters. The toroid "CF139T3829C Toroid 6600nh" is likely this type. I suggest using the lower A[sub]L[/sub} value toroids.
    Also, type "KT130-26A Toroid" is not ferrite, it is powdered iron. This would be my choice for you to use as a "test ferrite"
    Let's make it clear if Carl replies when he's available.

    Leave a comment:


  • Skippy
    replied
    Carl's suggestion that 'any ferrite should be OK' is not 100% accurate. Some very high mu ferrite materials, usually ones designed to absorb high frequency energy, give unusual results. They are commonly painted green, and are found on mains ( 50 Hz / 60 Hz ) power filters, such as common-mode filters. The toroid "CF139T3829C Toroid 6600nh" is likely this type. I suggest using the lower A[sub]L[/sub} value toroids.
    Also, type "KT130-26A Toroid" is not ferrite, it is powdered iron. This would be my choice for you to use as a "test ferrite"

    Leave a comment:


  • Daves
    replied
    Originally posted by Carl-NC View Post
    Oh, OK, any ferrite should work. The raw phase shift from TX-to-RX (monitoring the voltages on both coils) should be either 0° or 180° for large imbalances or strong ferrite. I like to achieve 0° just for consistency. As you get down to a minuscule level of imbalance you may see the phase shift move around due to parasitic capacitance. It doesn't matter, just get the IB amplitude as small as you can. Ferrite should still produce a 0° response.
    Hi again Carl,

    I bought 9 different ferrites in total.
    When TX and RX are as in the "picture 1", when I bring Ferrite closer to rx, the reactions are;

    In-Phase Response + Amplitude Increase
    CF139T1607C Toroid 1500nh
    CF139T2815C Toroid 4300nh
    KT130-26A Toroid
    CF139T2515C Toroid 3200nh
    MS-184026-2 Toroid 59nh
    CF199T3112C Toroid

    Phase change + amplitude increase;
    CF193T3829C Toroid 6600nh
    CF139R0620 Toroid (little rod black)
    No Code - Long Rod black

    When I pass the "ferrous object" while the RX and TX phases are as in the picture, there is a phase change + amplitude increase.

    Which side should I choose?

    When I set it according to "picture 2", if I hold "iron metal" to the coil, it gives an in-phase response + amplitude.
    CF193T3829C, CF139R0620, Long Rod Black = in-phase response + amplitude boost.​
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Daves
    replied
    Originally posted by Skippy View Post
    Some relevant recent CZ threads:
    https://www.geotech1.com/forums/foru...d-cz-5-project
    https://www.geotech1.com/forums/foru...d-it-s-secrets
    There are many more discussion threads.
    Thanks for the comment, I'll look into the links.

    What I want to ask you: Q, L, R, Inductance etc for the coil. I am searching for information.
    *What does being high and low affect?
    *Which means what​

    Leave a comment:


  • Skippy
    replied
    Some relevant recent CZ threads:
    General tech discussions on all types of metal detectors: VLF, 2-box, BFO, off-resonance, PLL, etc. Questions, ideas, and anything else that moves you.

    General tech discussions on all types of metal detectors: VLF, 2-box, BFO, off-resonance, PLL, etc. Questions, ideas, and anything else that moves you.

    There are many more discussion threads.

    Leave a comment:


  • Skippy
    replied
    I recommend using an existing coil that you know is suitable. Then when you have a working detector, consider making your own speciality coil ( example extra-large, or long 'clean-sweep' style.)
    I think coils for the Fisher CZ range ( CZ-3 / -5 / -7 / -20 / -21 ) would be a good choice, as they are made to work at 5 kHz and 15 kHz simultaneously. The CZ machines drive the coil with a 5 kHz square wave using some variation of a H-bridge circuit. There is a hand-drawn schematic for the CZ-5 posted on the forum, somewhere, which may give you a start.
    If you are planning on sine wave drive, the coils for the Fisher GoldBug Pro, F19 , F5, Teknetics G2 , Delta, Gamma + others, will work over a 7.8 kHz to 19 kHz range, and could probably go a bit lower. Possibly 6 kHz to 20+ kHz. There is a huge range of coils available for these machines.

    Leave a comment:


  • Daves
    replied
    Originally posted by Carl-NC View Post
    Oh, OK, any ferrite should work. The raw phase shift from TX-to-RX (monitoring the voltages on both coils) should be either 0° or 180° for large imbalances or strong ferrite. I like to achieve 0° just for consistency. As you get down to a minuscule level of imbalance you may see the phase shift move around due to parasitic capacitance. It doesn't matter, just get the IB amplitude as small as you can. Ferrite should still produce a 0° response.
    Ok,
    I will balance the RX phase to be in phase (0) or 180 degrees difference from the TX.

    I'll try and let you know, thank you Carl​

    Leave a comment:


  • Carl-NC
    replied
    Oh, OK, any ferrite should work. The raw phase shift from TX-to-RX (monitoring the voltages on both coils) should be either 0° or 180° for large imbalances or strong ferrite. I like to achieve 0° just for consistency. As you get down to a minuscule level of imbalance you may see the phase shift move around due to parasitic capacitance. It doesn't matter, just get the IB amplitude as small as you can. Ferrite should still produce a 0° response.

    Leave a comment:


  • Daves
    replied
    Originally posted by Carl-NC View Post
    On one of the frequency I selected the rx was overloaded and never recovered.

    What frequency, and why?

    The frequencies I chose for TX are 5-10-15kHz. If I'm going to add 1 resonance capacity to Rx, which frequency should I adjust it to?

    You should not use a resonant cap on the RX at all. Find out why it overloads and fix that.

    As the TX frequency changes, the TX driving power changes to Vpp. What should be the minimum acceptable value?

    Yes, inductor current is V/(2πfL) so higher frequencies will have a lower TX current. However, induced RX voltage increases with frequency so it sort of washes. Acceptable value is totally up to you and how well you can balance a coil.

    Is there anything I should pay attention to when I buy ferrite for RX? Can I do it with any ferrite?​

    What do you plan to do with the ferrite?

    Carl:What do you plan to do with the ferrite?
    Answer: I quoted from your comment. For use when balancing
    "When I design detectors I arrange the coils so that a ferrite target produces an in-phase voltage on the RX coil. I can't tell from that project what needs to be done, so just wind the coils in any fashion but before you permanently affix them test the detector. If it doesn't work right, simply flip one of the coils upside-down."

    Is it just a low Vrms value that matters when balancing the coils? Or does the TX-RX phase difference matter?
    While the coil is balancing;
    -find minimum Vrms
    -react in phase to ferrite
    are these enough?​
    Question: Let's say the ferrite reacted on the negative side, does it change anything if the phase difference between tx and rx is -100, -120 -180

    Carl: What frequency, and why?
    Answer: I can't remember which one it's for right now, I'll try and let you know.

    Carl: You should not use a resonant cap on the RX at all. Find out why it overloads and fix that.​
    Answer: Ok, i'll try again and let you know.

    Leave a comment:


  • Carl-NC
    replied
    On one of the frequency I selected the rx was overloaded and never recovered.

    What frequency, and why?

    The frequencies I chose for TX are 5-10-15kHz. If I'm going to add 1 resonance capacity to Rx, which frequency should I adjust it to?

    You should not use a resonant cap on the RX at all. Find out why it overloads and fix that.

    As the TX frequency changes, the TX driving power changes to Vpp. What should be the minimum acceptable value?

    Yes, inductor current is V/(2πfL) so higher frequencies will have a lower TX current. However, induced RX voltage increases with frequency so it sort of washes. Acceptable value is totally up to you and how well you can balance a coil.

    Is there anything I should pay attention to when I buy ferrite for RX? Can I do it with any ferrite?​

    What do you plan to do with the ferrite?

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X