Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TGSL Experiments

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • habitbraker
    replied
    LTSpice file if everyone interested
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • habitbraker
    replied
    Hello SB and others!

    I tested another circuit - with values exactly like in the picture. I put together 555 timer so that I can vary frequency more easely. Coil is my actual coil used in standart tgsl. Its shielded/potted and its good one. (35cm+)

    Results were very good: output voltage over 100Vpp!!Ok -With Current consumption about 36mA...Match pretty good with simulation
    Capacitor values is choosed to match frquency of tgsl - about 14.80kHz in my real circuit. In Spice its little higher. C3 must be prety large.

    If I increase resonanse freq with decreasing C1/C2 I could get about 150Vpp but then freq is incorrect - above 20kHz. So must accept those 100V

    Even though 555 vary its dutty cycle with varying R9 its seems that its no problem for output voltage.

    ok, thats was my fast test/and its description. So many projects and so little time (this and also IGSL. )
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • porkluvr
    replied
    Originally posted by lunamay View Post
    hi
    i've got some questions

    my pcb seems to be not good as i was thinking..the reason- i didn't clean it after soldering..i forgot..is there an easy way to clean this board with home made or in-home specyfics? i noticed that there was some posts about cleaning the board but i can't find them now..anyway..another thing is how to protect pcb tracks from oxidation using cheap specyfic..wood varnish or something..did anyone tried something like that?

    best regards

    For rosin or no-clean flux, clean your PCB with alcohol. Or you can use trichloroethane PCB cleaner from a spray can, but that is expensive and more toxic. Scrub with a soft bristle brush and blow it off with compressed air. Repeat, several times! Isopropyl alcohol - drugstore variety - works well. Get the 90% if you can find it.

    If the flux you used is classified as water soluble, scrub with water, and then blow with compressed air. Use distilled water or filtered water unless you can get 'ionized water' (don't ask me where to get that).

    Important: If you do not have a source of compressed air you should final rinse the board with alcohol, shake it a few times, and let drip dry or dab with paper towel and place near a fan. Unless you like to take chances, your PCB will need to sit for several hours before you apply power.

    There are a variety of conformal coat products on the market. Some you spray on, and some you brush on. A conformal coating will protect the board from moisture and keep the tracks from oxidizing.

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    Originally posted by lunamay View Post
    hi
    i've got some questions

    my pcb seems to be not good as i was thinking..the reason- i didn't clean it after soldering..i forgot..is there an easy way to clean this board with home made or in-home specyfics? i noticed that there was some posts about cleaning the board but i can't find them now..anyway..another thing is how to protect pcb tracks from oxidation using cheap specyfic..wood varnish or something..did anyone tried something like that?

    About my TGSL..I'm still working. There is a lot of trubles to find time to experiment (on friday 17.06.2011 i will be trying to pass engeneer exam and that'll be the end of"school":P)

    My unit will have baterypack(or acupack) on belt connected to unit by wires..still searching for a plastic for enclosier..and field tests.. but i'm wery happy that something is going on..some progres..slowly but is I should start from other detector Pi or something because i think that pi's are more easy to build and tune up good..aspecially coils(mono coils)

    anyways..for tooday i wish you good luck with Your versions
    see you soon
    have a nice day/night ( OMG it's allmost midnight in my citty:P)

    best regards
    It's good to hear you are still working on it.

    I don't know about cleaning boards but do a search, I remember some discussions were about it.

    Maybe after you pass exam you can avoid job and play with TGSL for a while... right!

    Good luck!

    -SB

    Leave a comment:


  • lunamay
    replied
    hi
    i've got some questions

    my pcb seems to be not good as i was thinking..the reason- i didn't clean it after soldering..i forgot..is there an easy way to clean this board with home made or in-home specyfics? i noticed that there was some posts about cleaning the board but i can't find them now..anyway..another thing is how to protect pcb tracks from oxidation using cheap specyfic..wood varnish or something..did anyone tried something like that?

    About my TGSL..I'm still working. There is a lot of trubles to find time to experiment (on friday 17.06.2011 i will be trying to pass engeneer exam and that'll be the end of"school":P)

    My unit will have baterypack(or acupack) on belt connected to unit by wires..still searching for a plastic for enclosier..and field tests.. but i'm wery happy that something is going on..some progres..slowly but is I should start from other detector Pi or something because i think that pi's are more easy to build and tune up good..aspecially coils(mono coils)

    anyways..for tooday i wish you good luck with Your versions
    see you soon
    have a nice day/night ( OMG it's allmost midnight in my citty:P)

    best regards

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    Originally posted by habitbraker View Post
    Yeah those voltages is V+ and V- of tgsl (+8 and -6V).
    Do you think I could get trough with simple divider?
    If I remember correcly - you used one in order to reduce spikes? Was there other changes as well?
    Yes, I used a divider, and I also needed to put a capacitor in also to correct for some phase shift because the divider makes a high impedance signal source. So your idea of transistor buffer is probably good, your instincts were correct I think.


    -SB

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    Originally posted by habitbraker View Post
    Hello SB!

    Thanks for a new idea!! I played a little bit with spice (yet) and results were interesting! I got 80Vpp with my circuit (18ohm coil). That diode plays really huge role in output voltage(+/-20V depending).
    Lowering Rl to 10 ohm gives about 120Vpp (I must get thicker wire to test this)

    Also noticed that it depends on C and L values highly. I wonder if theres a math explanation about this.

    Yeah - current consumption from 10mA went to about 60mA. Doesnt depend on Rl. A little drawback....

    Now I have a short of time to tinker too. But this is defenitely on my MUST TEST list

    Also wondering why I havent seen such a high voltage coils on other MD shematics around geotech? Could there be some hidden rocks ? Maby on field it simply doest work? Ground effect increased maby?
    Yes, it's worth studying some more. Roughly, I see it like this: If the "parallel" capacitor with the coil is small compared to the "series" capacitor, the circuit is like a series resonant circuit. In this case, all the resistors in the circuit affect the Q of circuit, including the power supply internal resistance, feed resistor to the transistors, etc. So lowering those resistors can boost the Q and the coil voltage.

    If the "parallel" capacitor is large compared to the "series" capacitor, then it acts more like a parallel resonant circuit, and the Q is determined more by the resistance of the coil only. Since a parallel resonant circuit has maximum impedance at resonance, the other components in the circuit have less effect on the coil voltage. Also, you can get a pretty high voltage even with a high-impedance power supply, meaning it runs efficiently.

    I have same question about whether such a coil driver circuit has weakness in real practice. The answer is probably yes. High Q resonant circuits will be easily affected by ground, etc. The trick is to understand the effects and still be able to distinguish targets. With a good microprocessor, maybe can be done - which is why I like this circuit for microprocessor experiments.

    It will be fun to find out what can be done.

    -SB

    Leave a comment:


  • habitbraker
    replied
    Originally posted by simonbaker View Post
    Makes sense. I can't quite tell what those supply voltages are on the CC buffer transistor, maybe V+ and V- basically?

    You might not even need the CC buffer at all. Always looking for ways to reduce parts.

    Regards,

    -SB

    Yeah those voltages is V+ and V- of tgsl (+8 and -6V).
    Do you think I could get trough with simple divider?
    If I remember correcly - you used one in order to reduce spikes? Was there other changes as well?

    Leave a comment:


  • habitbraker
    replied
    Hello SB!

    Thanks for a new idea!! I played a little bit with spice (yet) and results were interesting! I got 80Vpp with my circuit (18ohm coil). That diode plays really huge role in output voltage(+/-20V depending).
    Lowering Rl to 10 ohm gives about 120Vpp (I must get thicker wire to test this)

    Also noticed that it depends on C and L values highly. I wonder if theres a math explanation about this.

    Yeah - current consumption from 10mA went to about 60mA. Doesnt depend on Rl. A little drawback....

    Now I have a short of time to tinker too. But this is defenitely on my MUST TEST list

    Also wondering why I havent seen such a high voltage coils on other MD shematics around geotech? Could there be some hidden rocks ? Maby on field it simply doest work? Ground effect increased maby?

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    big bang

    Hi habitbraker:

    In the coil-driver circuit we've been playing with, I keep wondering what is the optimal way to drive the coil.

    With simulation, I compared two ways to orient the push-pull transistor -- emitters connected, or collectors connected.

    It turns out if you use a low internal resistance voltage supply and a small resistor feeding the push-pull transistors, you can get a whopping coil voltage with the connected collector configuration.

    However, it draws more current to do it, and I don't know if it is efficient power-wise. But if you really want high voltage it seems possible.

    I haven't built it, not much time to tinker or think. Wondering if you had any opinion on it.

    -SB
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    Originally posted by habitbraker View Post
    Well, my idea was to reduce voltage fed to phase shifters. Simple CC buffer to reduce divider output impedance. As I said - its just a idea and also not tested.
    Makes sense. I can't quite tell what those supply voltages are on the CC buffer transistor, maybe V+ and V- basically?

    You might not even need the CC buffer at all. Always looking for ways to reduce parts.

    Regards,

    -SB

    Leave a comment:


  • habitbraker
    replied
    Originally posted by simonbaker View Post
    I agree, this work is best for rainy days.

    Can you describe your voltage divider idea more? I'm not clear what you mean.

    Regards,

    -SB

    Well, my idea was to reduce voltage fed to phase shifters. Simple CC buffer to reduce divider output impedance. As I said - its just a idea and also not tested.

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    Originally posted by habitbraker View Post
    Hi,

    I havent done any work regarding this lately. Its is such a good weather here that it is impossible to stay inside

    what do you think about this voltage divider for negative supply and phase shifters?
    Havent tested it in real yet.
    Also I think that I will use some kind of analog oscillator to generate square signal. It would be easear/quicker to adjust for different L/C values. Also cheaper.
    MCU would be nice to use if it is doing more things than only one.
    I agree, this work is best for rainy days.

    Can you describe your voltage divider idea more? I'm not clear what you mean.

    Regards,

    -SB

    Leave a comment:


  • habitbraker
    replied
    Hi,

    I havent done any work regarding this lately. Its is such a good weather here that it is impossible to stay inside

    what do you think about this voltage divider for negative supply and phase shifters?
    Havent tested it in real yet.
    Also I think that I will use some kind of analog oscillator to generate square signal. It would be easear/quicker to adjust for different L/C values. Also cheaper.
    MCU would be nice to use if it is doing more things than only one.
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • simonbaker
    replied
    You still need to make an oscillator, but maybe a simple relaxation oscillator or 555 chip. It would take some doing, but I'd definitely like to see what happens. If you end up with a higher TX voltage, you'd probably need to reduce the gain on the LF353 pre-amp to compensate. I hope you can get around to it.

    Regards,

    -SB
    Of course if you can fit the PIC on the board, don't need an oscillator! At least that would be a goal.

    -SB

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X