pin 1 of ic U1a - ok and the other test tip to gnd test pad or at another point?
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
IGSL
Collapse
X
-
Hi,Originally posted by ivconic View PostThere is nice trick how to solder Aluminium!
Before soldering, merge that Al area parts in machine oil , than use sharp knife and scrape areas which are about to be soldered and joined together.
Oil should remain on surfaces and will prevent Al to get into touch with air and Oxygen from air and to oxidize fast, as it usually does if there was not oil applied.
Than use extra powerful soldering iron and solder those two parts.
Fact is that Al is easy to join with tin if Al surface is perfectly clean and heated with proper temperature.
Problem lays in fact that Al is oxidizing very very fast when exposed to air.
So oil is there to protect Al surface from oxidizing, for a moment, until is heated and joined with tin.
Certainly, ordinary soldering iron (usually used for soldering small electronics) is not enough powerful for such operation.
I have Weller with "7","8" and "9" peaks and tried all of those to solder Al, yet without success, because it is not powerful enough and Al is cooling very fast.
Yet, than i tried same with much more powerful soldering iron (300w) and got success!!
Neat trick, isn't it?
that's truly neat trick Ivica, I also know there are some special electrodes for arc soldering of e.g. Al pipes, that you can use with common arc soldering stations, but the trick for tin soldering is really cool for small or thin stuff to connect with copper or other solderable wires

Best regards,
Max
Leave a comment:
-
Originally posted by golfnut View Postwhat was wrong?
I used pin 1 of ic U1a - output of receive pre-amp
The amp has a gain ~50 so if you see 800mv you got it about right.
Steve
pin 1 of ic U1a - ok and the other test tip to gnd test pad or at another point?
Leave a comment:
-
Amilio
This describes where I am with mine, difficut to tune out ferrite,But I can not completely eliminate ferrite (for testing) and also with good stability.
While the cancellation of coils may not be correct (canceled as a in my TGLS 0.4) I think I'm also suffering from the problems of EMI, and I think this may be part of my problems with the version musketeer.
I will try out next weekend and set in a place outside EMI
Fair bit of chatter
can get UK pound coin well but not gold and vice versa
One mod may be to toggle the 2 adjustment trim positions continuously with cmos switch - so det can "see" gold and uk pounds
"British one pound (£1) coin is minted from a nickel-brass alloy of approximately 70% copper, 24.5% zinc, and 5.5% nickel. The coin weighs 9.50 grams (0.34 oz) and has a diameter of 22.50 millimetres "
Steve
Leave a comment:
-
well done
what was wrong?
I used pin 1 of ic U1a - output of receive pre-amp
The amp has a gain ~50 so if you see 800mv you got it about right.
Steve
Leave a comment:
-
got my igsl last night running
but need to null the coils
i must learn about the pot and trimmer function (mainly the onboard trimmers)
for the tone deaf (i think that this are people which cant seperate different tones)
maybe a led out can be helpful - low tone red color hight tone green or other
by the way what are the measure points to get the null voltage (dont want to use oszi - have a new usb oszi but not tried yet)
are the points the same as at the tgsl? ore should i test at another point?
Leave a comment:
-
Hello
because of problems with my IGLS musket and the lack of oscilloscope decided to mount another card, this time version IGLS tgls and for the occasion one of my coils TGLS.
Nothing but SUPPLY my IGLS put up with the same problem as the musketeer version, but begin to configure and start watching IGLS objectives, two-euro coin in about 30 cm, if the two tones running, also discrimination.
But I can not completely eliminate ferrite (for testing) and also with good stability.
While the cancellation of coils may not be correct (canceled as a in my TGLS 0.4) I think I'm also suffering from the problems of EMI, and I think this may be part of my problems with the version musketeer.
I will try out next weekend and set in a place outside EMI
regards
Leave a comment:
-
just like stereo left channel low tone right channel high tone set volume same in each one, would you get the effect of movement as in a stereo recording when you had a mix of tones may just be a silly idea. maybe i should just stick to wood
. built a MD 30 years ago now returning so have a lot to catch up on,
built qrp radios but only from designs from experts like yourself just hope to learn and understand something
Leave a comment:
-
Not sure that i understand what are you meaning, but for sure use of earphones will give you more infos than use of speaker.Originally posted by woodbob123 View PostHi all think i now understand a little about this design now, read all listing twice almost ready to order and build my detector so dont go away help maybe (will be) needed. A thought occured to me if high and low frequencies had seperate amps low fed to left side high to right and volumes balanced would it give a seperation of mid tones maybe even an effect of the sounds moving left or right and would this add to the information my brain needs all the help it can get as i am tone deaf
Leave a comment:
-
Hi all think i now understand a little about this design now, read all listing twice almost ready to order and build my detector so dont go away help maybe (will be) needed. A thought occured to me if high and low frequencies had seperate amps low fed to left side high to right and volumes balanced would it give a seperation of mid tones maybe even an effect of the sounds moving left or right and would this add to the information my brain needs all the help it can get as i am tone deaf
Leave a comment:
-
I did not use anything. I did not even try.

I'm lucky that my neighbor makes motorcycles

Leave a comment:
-
Nice pictures. The top one looks better than the best I have been able to manage so far
Did you use a spring or something inside?
Jerry
Leave a comment:





Leave a comment: