Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IGSL

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • der_fisherman
    replied
    Number of rechargeable cells needed for 12 volts

    Originally posted by Jerry View Post
    For some reason I was thinking four AA'a and it is eight (1.5 X 8 = 12 ) which would make a little over 5 Oz without the holder. However with your idea on the straight shaft it may not be important. Have not tried that.

    Jerry
    Completely wrong, unless you are using old fashioned manganese batteries, most types are 1.2 volts per cell.

    I have added a chart for your perusal......

    The only 1.5 volt cells I know of are not rechargeable by the way......

    Maybe there are some new ones I have not heard of......

    Regards

    Andy
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by der_fisherman View Post
    Dear Jerry,

    You need 10 x each AA batteries for 12 volts, so in your version, the whole without a holder, will weigh 2.5 times 3 Oz. = 7.5 Oz., almost 1/2 lb.. The holder will probably add the final half ounce or more for 1/2 Pound.....

    I find that reasonably acceptable, especially if correctly placed in the construction phase.

    Regards

    Andy
    For some reason I was thinking four AA'a and it is eight (1.5 X 8 = 12 ) which would make a little over 5 Oz without the holder. However with your idea on the straight shaft it may not be important. Have not tried that.

    Jerry

    Leave a comment:


  • petravka
    replied
    Item: 12V 1800mAh Rechargeable Portable Emergency Power Li-ion Battery
    Dimensions: 3.82 in x 2.36 in x 0.91 in (9.7 cm x 6.0 cm x 2.3 cm)
    Weight: 5.61 oz (159 g)



    Item: 12V 1800mAh Rechargeable Portable Emergency Power Li-ion Battery
    Dimensions: 3.86 in x 2.32 in x 0.91 in (9.8 cm x 5.9 cm x 2.3 cm)
    Weight: 6.35 oz (180 g)

    Leave a comment:


  • der_fisherman
    replied
    Battery weight

    Originally posted by Jerry View Post
    That is heavier than I had assumed it would be. (10 Oz)

    4 - AA battery weigh less than 3 Oz.

    Jerry
    Dear Jerry,

    You need 10 x each AA batteries for 12 volts, so in your version, the whole without a holder, will weigh 2.5 times 3 Oz. = 7.5 Oz., almost 1/2 lb.. The holder will probably add the final half ounce or more for 1/2 Pound.....

    I find that reasonably acceptable, especially if correctly placed in the construction phase.

    Regards

    Andy

    Leave a comment:


  • der_fisherman
    replied
    18 Volt Battery

    Originally posted by Jerry View Post
    Hi Andy, I had looked at using battery packs exactly as you suggest. I was very interested until I weighted one and found out it added more weight to the detector than I was willing to swing. Weight is an issue with me because of a bum shoulder.
    Exception would be Lithium ion battery pack which is light but I do not have one.
    Jerry
    If I use them, they will be mounted at the top end of the handle, above the center of balance, so it should make the balance of the machine even better.....we will see!

    They are heavier, but with far more capacity......but as nothing is set at this time in concrete, maybe I will just remove the batteries from the units, use enough for 12 volts and modify the charger slightly.....then I will have 3 sets of batteries with 12 volts each, probably AA sizes....

    I have added a simple picture as the shaft has not been found as of now by me.....but I will be using a crutch top as basis, or so is it planned at this time.....

    Regards

    Andy
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by petravka View Post
    That is heavier than I had assumed it would be. (10 Oz)

    4 - AA battery weigh less than 3 Oz.

    Jerry

    Leave a comment:


  • petravka
    replied
    Rechargeable Portable Emergency Power Li-ion Battery

    look at this

    Leave a comment:


  • Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by der_fisherman View Post
    Hi Ivconic and SilverDog,

    as I am looking at two good 18v rechargeable battery packs and of course the charger that I have left over from a battery drill with a burnt out motor that I was given, almost new......

    I could put in a bigger value resistor to drop the voltage instead of the 330 ohm (R69), but if I can get the loudspeaker louder instead, that would be great!!
    Andy

    Hi Andy, I had looked at using battery packs exactly as you suggest. I was very interested until I weighted one and found out it added more weight to the detector than I was willing to swing. Weight is an issue with me because of a bum shoulder.

    Exception would be Lithium ion battery pack which is light but I do not have one.

    Jerry

    Leave a comment:


  • der_fisherman
    replied
    18 volts input for IGSL?????

    Hi Ivconic and SilverDog,

    firstly many thanks Ivconic for the recent recommendations to reduce gain slightly, I think that will help my machine quite a bit, though its going to take a week or so to get hold of the parts needed as I don't have them to hand.....

    I have another question for you and SD, I would be grateful for both of your opinions:-

    I have looked at the schematic and it appears that the input 12 volts from the battery is only used (unregulated) for driving the loudspeaker, otherwise it just supplies the 8 volt regulator. Am I correct?

    Now would the loudspeaker take 18 volts at that point (SilverDog, what are the specs of the little loudspeaker you supplied in the kit?) as I am looking at two good 18v rechargeable battery packs and of course the charger that I have left over from a battery drill with a burnt out motor that I was given, almost new......

    I could put in a bigger value resistor to drop the voltage instead of the 330 ohm (R69), but if I can get the loudspeaker louder instead, that would be great!!

    I am also thinking of cutting off the whole handle of the drill and eventually attaching it to my MD (high up for a better balance) so that the batteries can be plugged in from outside of the machine once charged......might look quite good as well!!

    Maybe such rechargeable drills, that can be bought very cheaply, could be a good source of batteries, charger and socket.......even when bought new.....I saw one today for around $20 (€15). Individual batteries (2 sets), battery holder and charger etc., would cost more I feel.....of course a broken drill is even cheaper....

    Thanks in advance to you both for your thoughts and ideas.

    Regards

    Andy

    Leave a comment:


  • der_fisherman
    replied
    Originally posted by bernte_one View Post
    in my lunch break i bought the parts for replacement
    seems to make sens
    with my diy 28cm dd coil my igsl musketeer reacts to my body when moving around
    and i think thats not only caused from my missing shield

    on my tgsl i havn´t this problem at first tests with unshielded coils

    it can be a result of the gain

    better to set the gain down as to have much of false signal on field
    Did you mean that you are using unshielded coils?
    regards
    Andy

    Leave a comment:


  • bernte_one
    replied
    in my lunch break i bought the parts for replacement
    seems to make sens
    with my diy 28cm dd coil my igsl musketeer reacts to my body when moving around
    and i think thats not only caused from my missing shield

    on my tgsl i havn´t this problem at first tests with unshielded coils

    it can be a result of the gain

    better to set the gain down as to have much of false signal on field

    Leave a comment:


  • SVEN1
    replied
    Just curious, I am currently working on 2 boards of the IGSL Musketeer version. Have an 8 and 10" Musketeer coil to use with it.

    Are you suggesting to change out those parts for less gain to stabilize the detector from chattering too much? Or am I ok to leave them as they were orig. marked. Or do you suggest I build one board with the high gain parts and one with the lower gain parts?

    R31, 45, 50, 64 currently 1m5 change to 470K
    C16, 24, 29, 37 currently 10n change to 22n

    Leave a comment:


  • golfnut
    replied
    My IGSL was working pretty good last night. Gettin the idea of thresholds for accept reject for metal types.


    Coil I potted and wrapped in glass - bit of a pain to do. Its Ugly.


    Made a single central blade from 3mm thick fibre glass sheet - then slitted the pole - it straddles the glass fibre blade and swivels on a nylon bolt - for user height/angle.

    Pic later

    S

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Originally posted by bernte_one View Post
    Many thanks to IVCONIC and all the other forum members for spending time to this project
    here first test
    fastly set the coil to null phase
    all other adjustments not made this moment
    its time to watch tv and relax the rest of this evening

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31iZaQdc-OE
    Bernte that's good for now.
    Coil must be more precise balanced.
    Those small chatters that appears from time to time are caused by increased gain at channels.
    For now you just do make small changes and return values as noted on sketch bellow.
    Instead 1M5 put 470k and instead 10nF put 22nF, on all places noted on sketch.
    That's how you will void those chatters and instability.
    I wanted to experiment with higher gain than and later realized that it was bad idea.
    So, when you return values like those are at TGSL, you will not have chatters and instability and therefore will be able to balance coil more easily.
    Cheers!
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • bernte_one
    replied
    here my first test THX

    Many thanks to IVCONIC and all the other forum members for spending time to this project
    here first test
    fastly set the coil to null phase
    all other adjustments not made this moment
    its time to watch tv and relax the rest of this evening

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X