This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arduino Nano Pulse Induction Metal Detector Project - Published March 2021

Arduino Nano Pulse Induction Metal Detector Project <<- Click to view book on Amazon

This is my contribution to the forum for the beginning of 2021.

Available on Amazon sites worldwide (check the Amazon site in your own country) and also via expanded distribution from booksellers and libraries.

Prompted by Ivconic's enthusiasm for the Arduino, I decided that it was now time to investigate this platform and see what all the excitement was about.

This book does not attempt to teach you the very basics of the Arduino platform, but is intended for Arduino users who have already mastered the basics of programming, and for those who have at least an elementary knowledge of electronics. There are numerous books available that can teach the basics of Arduino programming, and a huge amount of resources available on the Internet.

It is assumed that the reader has progressed beyond the level of flashing LEDs and generally testing various random projects designed to show the capabilities of the Arduino platform, and is now ready to construct something more advanced that will have a real practical use.

Although there are a few Arduino-based PI designs to be found by searching the Internet, the project described in this book (at the time of writing) has at least twice the claimed detection range for comparable metal targets.

During my investigation of both the Arduino Uno and Arduino Nano, I discovered that the programming and configuration of these devices was incredibly easy. It was certainly much simpler to get started than with Microchip PIC devices. Literally within 20 minutes of unpacking my very first Uno, I had the micro-controller equivalent of the infamous "Hello World" program working ... a flashing LED.

Both the hardware and software for the Arduino are open-source, which also prompted me to investigate the various free CAD packages available. Eventually I settled on DipTrace because of its ease-of-use and suitability for the task. One important factor was that I wanted the complete project to be developed using tools that would run under Linux. Even the text in the book, all the diagrams, and images, were created and/or manipulated using Linux-based software such as LibreOffice, Inkscape, and GIMP.

The DipTrace schematic and PCB files are attached below, plus the 3D models used to create the image on the front cover. The Gerber files can be sent to a PCB manufacturer such as JLCPCB.
    The sketch for the Arduino Nano is also attached.
    Andy (Silverdog) kindly proofread the final draft of the book, and even built a copy of the detector using the build instructions in Chapter 4.

The eagle-eyed amongst you will spot that the underlying architecture for the Arduino Nano PI detector is based on the Surf-PI. During the development process I took a Surf-PI longboard and connected it to an Arduino Uno. Once the detector was functioning to my satisfaction, I then connected an Arduino Nano in place of the Uno without any requirement to make any changes to the software. Finally the schematic was entered in DipTrace and a PCB layout created. Boards were then ordered from JLCPCB, and a complete Arduino Nano based PI detector was born.

The main differences between the original Surf-PI and the Arduino version are:
    1. The transmitter oscillator, main, and EFE sample pulses are all generated by the Arduino Nano, thus eliminating quite a few discrete components.
    2. The audio oscillator is also generated by the Nano, which has the significant advantage that the audio tone is no longer dependent on the transmit pulse rate.
    3. The transmit pulse rate was increased to 1000pps.
    4. The +5V supply is provided by the Nano.
    5. A Boost switch was added to allow the user to switch between a TX pulse width of 50us (normal) and 100us (Boost). The Boost mode provides an inch or two of extra depth on some targets.
    6. A 3R3 resistor was added between the mosfet and the coil to prevent mishaps if the coil is accidentally shorted out.

Details of a suitable NiMH battery charger are included. This is the same charger used in the Voodoo Project, but re-imagined in DipTrace. Again, all the design data is attached below.

I have kept the price of the book low at 9.99 GBP.
    Prices in other countries are dependent on the exchange rate, but are based on the UK price.

If anyone is having problems ordering a copy of the book from Amazon in their particular country, the Book Depository can supply copies with free delivery worldwide.
    https://www.bookdepository.com/Ardui.../9798719427911

Table of Contents
    • Introduction
    • Chapter 1: Pulse Induction Technology
    • Chapter 2: Detector Electronics
    • Chapter 3: Arduino Software
    • Chapter 4: Build Instructions
    • Chapter 5: Conclusion
    • Appendix A: Component Parts List
    • Appendix B: Resources
    • Appendix C: Battery Charger

The videos created by surfdetector can be found on youtube at the following link:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...vygh0x9WRf4jag

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Errata:

1. At the top of page 23 there is a missing line at the start of the ISR. The missing line is: "ISR(TIMER1_OVF_vect) {".

2. Although the EFE delay setting is not that critical, it is not supposed to change when you adjust the Delay pot.
    You can easily fix this by simply removing the following line from the calcTimerValues() routine:
    temp4 -= temp3 + temp2;
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attached Files
    Last edited by Qiaozhi; 12-30-2023, 02:42 PM.

All discussions moved to the Arduino Nano forum.

Comment

Working...
    X