Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inside the Metal Detector, 3rd Edition

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RufusGartz
    replied
    Thanks Carl,

    ITMD3 ordered 2 Dec.
    Amazon says it is expected to be delivered in Australia on 19 Dec due to being an international order.

    Leave a comment:


  • nickel_n
    replied
    Originally posted by MartinB View Post
    Thanks Carl,
    Just placed an order with Amazon and should receive it Tuesday.
    Go and have a few beers and relax. You deserve it.
    could you please post a link to the book?
    Amazon au showing only the second edition

    Things change fast!!!!!
    Very HAPPY
    Order Confirmation

    Order # 503-7565101-46xxxxxx
    Hello,
    Thanks for your order. We’ll let you know once your item(s) have dispatched.
    ​
    Last edited by nickel_n; 12-02-2024, 03:12 AM. Reason: change

    Leave a comment:


  • MartinB
    replied
    Thanks Carl,
    Just placed an order with Amazon and should receive it Tuesday.
    Go and have a few beers and relax. You deserve it.

    Leave a comment:


  • eduardo1979
    replied
    I ordered the book from Amazon today. I'll receive it on Thursday.

    Leave a comment:


  • kt315
    replied
    Originally posted by Dimitris The Greek View Post
    Just order the new book from Amazon!!! I am very happy and hope to get it as soon is possible !
    pls answer me in messages.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dimitris The Greek
    replied
    Just order the new book from Amazon!!! I am very happy and hope to get it as soon is possible !

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by Carl-NC View Post
    Amazon has approved it for release on Dec 1.
    George & I tried the e-book route with ITMD2. It was pirated and widely posted on Internet sites for free. I've spent 7 years on ITMD3 and I will never earn anything close to what I've put into it, so it would annoy me immensely if it were posted as a free download on the Internet. On translations, even if I could get a 100% accurate translation I would still need to reformat the whole book around new paragraph lengths. Right now, I'm tired and want a break.
    I can second that!
    No-one realises just how difficult it is to publish a technical book. It's a mammoth (love/hate) task.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dimitris The Greek
    replied
    Great news! Hope to be available as soon as possible!!! Ok i understand -Yes, its really annoying to spent so such time from your life to something and someone steal it with a few clicks! If you want a break, come to the island of Kalymnos - the Mecca of climbing!​

    Leave a comment:


  • Carl-NC
    replied
    Amazon has approved it for release on Dec 1.
    George & I tried the e-book route with ITMD2. It was pirated and widely posted on Internet sites for free. I've spent 7 years on ITMD3 and I will never earn anything close to what I've put into it, so it would annoy me immensely if it were posted as a free download on the Internet. On translations, even if I could get a 100% accurate translation I would still need to reformat the whole book around new paragraph lengths. Right now, I'm tired and want a break.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dimitris The Greek
    replied
    Do we know when it will be available on Amazon? Also, why not consider selling it in digital format as well? (e-book) - Regarding the use of AI for translation (e.g., ChatGPT), if you provide it directly with a PDF document, it tends to make many mistakes. However, if you give it plain text, page by page, the translation accuracy can reach up to 99%. I say this with full responsibility and confidence, as i have a printshop in Greece and I also print books. Based on my experience using it for two different projects, this method—copy-pasting one page at a time—produced excellent results when translating from English to Greek. And let’s not forget that Greek is considered one of the most difficult languages due to its vast vocabulary and numerous idiomatic expressions.

    Leave a comment:


  • Carl-NC
    replied
    I've looked at using AI to create translations but it leaves a huge mess that would take extensive work to clean up. This book sells in abysmally low numbers and I've already spent way more time on it than it will ever be worth. Making a translation would be another enormous effort with even less payback.

    Leave a comment:


  • Orbit
    replied
    Originally posted by GeoMax View Post

    Hi Orbit,

    one reason more to learn English... In todays days it is quite useful. Everywhere you need it (more or less) for traveling, jobseeking etc.
    You are exactly right! The more languages ​​the better, for now I know three languages, the third I understand 60 percent. On English, I understand phrases, but it's relatively easier than Germanic languages, since I grew up watching Hollywood movies, it's not completely foreign to me.

    Leave a comment:


  • GeoMax
    replied
    Originally posted by Orbit View Post
    All that is nice, but not everyone knows English.
    Hi Orbit,

    one reason more to learn English... In todays days it is quite useful. Everywhere you need it (more or less) for traveling, jobseeking etc.

    Leave a comment:


  • Orbit
    replied
    All that is nice, but not everyone knows English.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Hats off to you Carl, just looking at the table of contents shows the mammoth effort and
    tasks and time involved in writing this book ITMD3. I’m sure the Geotech community and others will appreciate your work.
    It will be a great reference for many I think.
    Hopefully you don’t (didn’t) have too much pain sorting out the print quality.
    Look forward to having a copy.

    Cheers

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X