Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inside the Metal Detector, 3rd Edition

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Carl-NC
    replied
    I cringe at trying to estimate a release date. Too many things are popping up and getting in the way. Right now, I will be happy with "before Christmas."

    Leave a comment:


  • CrizzyD
    replied
    Hi Carl, how is revision 3 of ITMD looking? Is there now a firm release date?

    Leave a comment:


  • ivconic
    replied
    Knowing Carl's agility...I'm sure my grandkids will live long enough to buy that book!
    I'm glad it was worth living for!
    Joking aside... I hope you don't mind!
    I don't have the conditions to buy the book directly, but I have an "American" son who will do it on my behalf.
    I just need to know the date and source where to order the book.

    ​

    Leave a comment:


  • detectormods
    replied
    Put me down for a copy and the other 10,000 people waiting.

    Leave a comment:


  • Carl-NC
    replied
    I'm hoping to get the proof copies printed up in ~3 weeks. Then it's a matter of doing a final review of the book which is likely to take 2-4 weeks. Sounds like early-mid October.

    Edit: with this edition I'm doing a far more thorough indexing than before. The 2nd edition had 3-1/2 columns of index, I'm currently up to 16 columns. Part of that is because 3e is over 3X larger in size than 2e; it's 600 pages vs 280 and in a larger format, 7x10 vs 6x9.
    Last edited by Carl-NC; 08-14-2024, 11:46 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • bbsailor
    replied
    Originally posted by bbsailor View Post

    Carl,

    Can you make an estimate as to when ITMD3 will be published?

    Thanks

    bbsailor
    Carl-NC

    When might you be able to answer my question about the estimated ITMD3 publish date?

    Thanks

    Joseph J. Rogowski or bbsailor

    Leave a comment:


  • bbsailor
    replied
    Originally posted by Carl-NC View Post
    Almost done. I need to take some final target measurements over frequency and finish indexing the book.
    Carl,

    Can you make an estimate as to when ITMD3 will be published?

    Thanks

    bbsailor

    Leave a comment:


  • Carl-NC
    replied
    Almost done. I need to take some final target measurements over frequency and finish indexing the book.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wahyu
    replied
    Hi Carl, any update?
    I hope this book will be release

    Leave a comment:


  • Carl-NC
    replied
    Sorry, no digital edition. ITMD2 was pirated and posted all over the Internet on free-book sites, many which don't respond to take-down requests.

    Stud finders are proximity devices, which measure capacitive (electric field) effects instead of inductive (magnetic field) effects. I'll add this to the list for ITMD4.
    I had not thought of cell phone detectors. I assume they use the 3-axis compass, probably in combination with the 3-axis accelerometer, to detect magnetic field changes. Too late for 3e, I'll add it to 4e.
    Good suggestions.

    Leave a comment:


  • Nightryder
    replied
    Originally posted by Carl-NC View Post
    Mostly what is left is to build a few coils and photograph the steps. Working on that. My goal is to print some proof copies in June/July and do a final edit.

    I hope there will be a digital copy of the book like the second edition.


    As a suggestion, It would be really nice to have a page or so on the principals of stud & PVC finders. I understand some people might say it's just a pinpointer but I think there's more to it.
    The fact that they can locate woods and non-metallic water pipes behind a wall or underneath the floor regardless of the soil type fascinates me. Some big names in the market even claim their products can find water leakage!! Maybe it's just me who is amazed by this, but I can tell you that there isn't much information on the internet about it. By the way, my passion for making DIY metal detectors began after I was searching the web for some info about these scanners and how they work . Anyway, if you think you have the desire and time for it, I'm willing to open up my Bosch GMS-120 and provide you with some photos of what's inside.


    Also, while I'm at it, another suggestion is to make a "touch and go" on metal detectors which are in every cellphone nowadays. I guess depending on what app you are using but some of them, from a personal experience, are real sensitive. I mean some App's indicators start bouncing or blinking a meter away from some fairly large metal object like a metal door. I wonder how big a sensor could be, inside a small device, to detect an object even two ft or half a meter away? and what type of detectors is it? how doesn't it interfere with other communications waves of the device like the Bluetooth or even the FM radio that some devices have? Don't you think it's worthier than BFO to be a part of the new edition? Don't get me wrong please, I'm 100% appreciative of chapters 2 and 3. I was not going to better understand the principals of BFO detectors if it wasn't for the book. All I'm saying is if some sort of "clinically dead" technology is part of the book, these can be too.



    You can totally ignore all of the above. It's just some things I have always meant to put them out here. Regardless, I look forward to buying my own copy.



    Best of luck!!
    Last edited by Nightryder; 07-26-2024, 08:39 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • aothunterpl
    replied
    Hello and welcome
    Is it planned to discuss some of the digital information processing in modern detectors in the new edition?

    discussion of basic algorithms, etc

    from transmitter and receiver adjustments to digital filters, ground balance, VDI, sound geration, etc.


    Regards​

    Leave a comment:


  • Carl-NC
    replied
    Mostly what is left is to build a few coils and photograph the steps. Working on that. My goal is to print some proof copies in June/July and do a final edit.

    Leave a comment:


  • CrizzyD
    replied
    [QUOTE=Carl-NC;n419847 [/QUOTE]

    Hi Carl any updates to this release?

    Leave a comment:


  • Melbeta
    replied
    Do not forget me Carl with what you said. I bought the first edition, did not buy the second as I thought it was about the same as the first edition. If there is anything you are looking for, I probably have it, just ask me if I have it and I will send it to you. I have an amazing amount of vast material stuck in directory after directory...

    And photos? I have a lot of fantastic amount of photos, and i do enhance a lot of them...

    I have an fantastic collection of books by many authors. So if there is some info your seeking, from someone elses book, let me know...
    MELBETA

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X