Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moodz' Awesome Gold Pulse Induction Version 3 - MAGPI V3 Project

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • mickstv
    replied
    Hi Moodz,

    Looks good, congrats....

    So if I were to make the MAGPI V3, and head out to the Goldfields in Vic will it work straight away or are there secret settings for mineralised ground.


    Also for coin hunting, say our typical coins 5c up to $2 what sort of in air depths can we expect ?


    Regards
    Michael

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Originally posted by Dean Sarelius View Post

    Hi KJ,
    Really nice PCB just curious to know how many layers and the stackup..?
    Four... top inner layer = power plane, bottom inner layer = GND, top and bottom layers for routing & component placement.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dean Sarelius
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    Well I have completed (almost) an improved version/layout of the SMD version of the PCB that I plan on using as the basis of a probe. The new PCB is 31.7mm x 100mm.

    Top:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	MAGZ_Probe(TOP).png
Views:	917
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	410556

    Bottom:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	MAGZ_Probe(BOT).jpg
Views:	927
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	410555
    Hi KJ,
    Really nice PCB just curious to know how many layers and the stackup..?

    Leave a comment:


  • Emersonpaz
    replied
    Hello moodz, some video of this detector?, I was curious. Regarding the LM6171 INA125P and DG411 integrated circuits, it is difficult to find here in my country, only buying on Aliexpress and hoping not to be counterfeit.

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post

    First iteration of a miniature MAGPI v3 in SMD. Board is 100 mm x 50 mm.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	MAGZ001(SMD).png
Views:	1511
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	409971​​
    Well I have completed (almost) an improved version/layout of the SMD version of the PCB that I plan on using as the basis of a probe. The new PCB is 31.7mm x 100mm.

    Top:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	MAGZ_Probe(TOP).png
Views:	917
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	410556

    Bottom:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	MAGZ_Probe(BOT).jpg
Views:	927
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	410555

    Leave a comment:


  • serci78
    replied
    Hi Moodz,which mplab ide version are you using?

    Leave a comment:


  • moodz
    replied
    Originally posted by darov922 View Post

    I am assembling the components to make the V3.0 version...however I want to incorporate the future updates of the V4 and V5 version. I see that these improvements are only in the TX circuit, therefore the RX circuit would remain unchanged... am I correct? I would like to make a PCB with the unalterable part and another PCB with the current TX, if it's not too much to ask: could you indicate with a red line on the schematic diagram which things have already changed in V4 and V5? Thanks for your time and effort. Dario
    Some of the diodes will have to be turned around and the surface mount mosfet changed. But yes it is certainly possible to re-use most of the board with a TX add on board.

    moodz.

    Leave a comment:


  • moodz
    replied
    Originally posted by IBGold View Post
    Hi Paul,

    I can report the encoder was correct except works back to front and no smoke on switch on in your next 1.2 code version can you make the default volume at the bottom of the scale in lieu of the top as is now could cause harm and allow it to go lower in volume say to 1 in lieu of current 10 because with headphones it is still too loud can not go low enough to get a threshold other than that all seems working including screen but cannot access the other menu items probably because they are not enabled with this code version and I note the voltage reading reads 1 volt low battery reading actual 8.01 volts screen reading 7.01 volts other than that seems sensitive enough.

    Regards, Ian.
    Hi Ian ... The encoder direction is easy enough to fix. I put a diode in series with the power in your box ... you can remove ( not required if you are wired right ). The diode will be dropping some voltage otherwise something is wrong.
    The voltage should read within %1 or so. My units do :-)
    The volume setting is easy fixed in code or insert a series resistor in your audio line.
    Yeh the other menu items disabled in code as not sure you would get the screen going. Easy to fix.

    moodz

    Leave a comment:


  • moodz
    replied
    Originally posted by Dean Sarelius View Post

    Hi Moodz,
    About the battery level reading from the PIC, if you were to use say an 11.1V battery to power the unit what would be your recomendation for the resistor values R4 and R9..?
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	31 Size:	13.6 KB ID:	410512​
    Hi Dean,
    If you are using a 11.1V battery it would read within +/-1% of 11.1 volts typically.

    I have several units and they are all OK.

    R4 and R9 value text is vertical sorry about that.

    Is you simulation having trouble at this voltage ?

    moodz

    Leave a comment:


  • Dean Sarelius
    replied
    Originally posted by moodz View Post

    Sorry about that its a zero ohm ( 0R ) resistor .... wire link on board. near the DG411 chip ... see photo of complete board.

    moodz
    Hi Moodz,
    About the battery level reading from the PIC, if you were to use say an 11.1V battery to power the unit what would be your recomendation for the resistor values R4 and R9..?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	664
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	410512​

    Leave a comment:


  • IBGold
    replied
    Hi Paul,

    I can report the encoder was correct except works back to front and no smoke on switch on in your next 1.2 code version can you make the default volume at the bottom of the scale in lieu of the top as is now could cause harm and allow it to go lower in volume say to 1 in lieu of current 10 because with headphones it is still too loud can not go low enough to get a threshold other than that all seems working including screen but cannot access the other menu items probably because they are not enabled with this code version and I note the voltage reading reads 1 volt low battery reading actual 8.01 volts screen reading 7.01 volts other than that seems sensitive enough.

    Regards, Ian.

    Leave a comment:


  • darov922
    replied
    Originally posted by moodz View Post

    Thanks Dean .. dont get me wrong I am not trying to dismiss your ideas for improvement .. I just want to lock down the V3 hardware as there are some built up units already operating by various people and whereas we can change the software because that only involves re-programming those existing units ... if we change the hardware then those existing units and ones being built up might become obsolete and those people would not be happy.

    For your info ... I have V4 in simulation already with NMOS and significantly higher power and V5 which is bipolar ... not sure if target sensistivity will increase that much though we hopefully will start to see a discrimination function.

    moodz
    I am assembling the components to make the V3.0 version...however I want to incorporate the future updates of the V4 and V5 version. I see that these improvements are only in the TX circuit, therefore the RX circuit would remain unchanged... am I correct? I would like to make a PCB with the unalterable part and another PCB with the current TX, if it's not too much to ask: could you indicate with a red line on the schematic diagram which things have already changed in V4 and V5? Thanks for your time and effort. Dario

    Leave a comment:


  • Rick S
    replied
    Moodz,
    Thanks for your help. Still collecting parts.

    Leave a comment:


  • moodz
    replied
    Originally posted by Rick S View Post
    Moodz,
    Building your MD I want to stay as close as possible the components used in the schematic. Build the MAGPI V3 first, then do mods, up grades etc... Where did you purchase the crystal for the PIC. Having
    hard time finding a thru-hole 10 MHZ 10pf oscillator. SMD 10MHZ 10pf oscillators find them in most electronic warehouses. All the Geotech projects I have built, one of them for example TGSL, become
    a headache with all the changes to the first build. For me I want to KISS. I enjoy your cool head approach to this project.
    Hi Rick .. yeh it can be a problem ... but the crystal you can get from here ..



    Plenty in stock. About 50 cents.

    moodz

    Leave a comment:


  • moodz
    replied
    Originally posted by Emersonpaz View Post
    what is the meaning of this resistor R21 and GND on both sides
    Sorry about that its a zero ohm ( 0R ) resistor .... wire link on board. near the DG411 chip ... see photo of complete board.

    moodz

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X