I believe I have ran into a problem with triboelectric noise when testing my PI Pinpointer.

I have not found anything about triboelectric noise in cables on this forum. Odd.

Still in my ears: "make sure the cable to the coil doesnt move" - it will cause falsing.
Sure enough this is true. There was never really an in depth explanation that I am aware of.

This problem occurs with my switchable coil/probe setup on the MPP E.

The pinpointer probe has a cable to the detector housing and obviously is moved quite a bit when pinpointing.
(yeah - talk about bench testing vs. real life testing - you have my full attention)

This triboelectric noise in cables can run into the 100s of millivolts. Gosh, we are playing with microvolts in a PI.

It would be nice to keep this switcheable setup between coil & PP on the MPP, rather than build an extra PI pinpointer in a rigid pipe without a cable.

I am wondering how these pinpointers dealt with it though: Click image for larger version

Name:	bottoml.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	371289

Any ideas or experiences with this?