Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC based oscilloscope

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • multieagle
    replied
    I'm going to give this a try: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...erReviewsBlock

    A little more expensive, but at least in country.
    StarTech.com ICUSBAUDIO7 Virtual 7.1 USB Stereo Audio Adapter External Sound Card - USB 2.0, USB 1.1, Phono 3.5mm Female, C-Media Chipset

    Leave a comment:


  • Davor
    replied
    With the most PC sound cards it will be fine as they are capable of handling a bit extra. Make sure that a device under test is powered by batteries when you take measurements, and a good precaution is listening to the sound off the PC.

    The battery part is essential. You must have a single common ground. As PCs are not built with much of a power supply, a PCs ground will have to do, but in that case it is very important to power your device with batteries.

    Diodes are just simple clamps that protect the sound card input if the signal becomes too big. They'll start conducting at about 0.5V. I didn't use them.

    Now that I have a ye olde CRO sillyscope I can connect it as ever I wish, but only because old oscilloscopes were built to effectively isolate a scope from the mains, even at high voltages of ye olde CRT TVs.

    Use batteries and you'll be fine.

    Leave a comment:


  • kabier
    replied
    hi all using diodes look like abridge rectifier and i think will deform the measured wave
    i just finished soldering a probe without diodes will test it and post
    thanks

    Leave a comment:


  • mohandes
    replied
    HI 6666
    i will make the prob at number 10, is it work?tell me that make it
    ok i put 2 picture for ne555,for pin 3.i think not well what do you think?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	scope_bw.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	335725Click image for larger version

Name:	pin3 555_bw.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	335726

    Leave a comment:


  • 6666
    replied
    mohandes
    I would add some protection diodes between tip and ground and ring and ground just to be safe.

    Leave a comment:


  • 6666
    replied
    Will this work: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BRAND-NEW-HP-...item4399c34dba

    That would work ok to get the sound into your laptop
    when I first looked at this project I bought a USB sound card
    to try first in case I blew up the soundcard in my PC,
    but have not installed it, because the probe and soundcard in my PC works ok
    for this project.

    Leave a comment:


  • 6666
    replied
    What is the difference between:
    2 Channel PC Computer Digital Storage USB Oscilloscope




    &

    5 Channel PC Computer Digital Storage USB Oscilloscope


    Each one probably contains some IC's
    one to give 2 channels and the other to give 5 channels.
    There is a difference in frequency and sampling range, etc.
    5 Channels would give you more wave forms to look at
    and it can record.

    Leave a comment:


  • 6666
    replied
    This is how I made my simple probe
    I have a real CRO probe going to a diecast box
    in the box is a small piece of scap pcb
    on which I soldered a 1/4 Watt 47K resistor
    a 100volt Cap and two 1n4148 diodes.

    Then shielded cable to a plug which is plugged into the sound card.

    I made it this way so i could unplug the real CRO probe and plug it into
    my CRO for comparison,

    You can make it from a couple of clips and shielded cable, coax and just solder it together.

    The original ratings of the components were higher than necessary.
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • kabier
    replied
    hi mohandes try it and let us know. post your result and measurements
    thanks and regards

    Leave a comment:


  • mohandes
    replied
    hi all
    i make probe like the picture?dose it work well?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled..JPG
Views:	1
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	335702Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	335703

    Leave a comment:


  • multieagle
    replied
    Ignore that last post . . . How embarrassing!

    Leave a comment:


  • multieagle
    replied
    Will this work: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BRAND-NEW-HP-...item4399c34dba

    Leave a comment:


  • multieagle
    replied
    As usual I do not fully comprehend what is being discussed. Will probably work up to an understand, say in the next twenty years! Can a probe be made that plugs into the mic input? Or must it be connected directly to the sound card? What about a high end microphone to measure frequency, and perhaps other measurements? Thanks for being patient. Whew! wonder what it is gonna be like when I actually tackle putting the Surf PI kit together?

    Leave a comment:


  • kabier
    replied
    hi all and that is interesting am looking for a scope and will try this for the idx-pro from Silverdog will use pcb and solder comp hi 6666 you use a 2 w resistor why ? am looking also for an inductance meter?? thanks

    Leave a comment:


  • Davor
    replied
    Both depend upon your sound card. Real probe is needed in case you need to measure some high voltages, or at high impedances, but otherwise you can use a simple coax and you can even solder it in situ.

    You can do most measurements this way. I did it with IGSL and a laptop last summer and it certainly works. I even balanced a coil that way. Provided you know what you do...

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X