Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2D 3D printed circuit board

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • dbanner
    replied
    I thought this was an interesting design, which could be scaled up to bigger size.

    Leave a comment:


  • dbanner
    replied
    Originally posted by Tibuck19 View Post
    Great thanks my scaling is good its the pads in Eagle that are just to small, I have no clue how to change the size, Would it be in the Sprint ??
    There is always room for improvement lol but yes a dedicated plotter and driller has always on my mind, in fact, I have a design that nearly there, I just need to get better little motors and drivers for it, here what I got so far. [ATTACH]44727[/ATTACH]
    Very cool. I don't think I have patience to build a high quality CNC machine from scratch. It doesn't seem worth it unless you're getting into some serious projects that makes it worth the effort and not to mention the cost involved.
    I don't use eagle, so not too familiar with it. I use Sprint to draw up simple layouts quickly and it's easy to change the size of the pads. With eagle I'm sure it's very easy to resize the footprints, but I couldn't tell you offhand.
    I have Eagle installed on my Linux OS, but I hardly ever use it.
    I've been playing around with Kicad these days, very nice software indeed.

    Leave a comment:


  • Tibuck19
    replied
    Originally posted by waltr View Post
    If you are checking scaling then measure the distance between pins on the 555.
    Should be exactly 0.10 inch or 2.54mm each.
    Spacing across the DIP rows is 0.30inch or 7.62mm.

    Pads need to be 2 to 3 times the hole diameter for easy drilling and soldering.

    I do use 0.060 to 0.080 inch pads and 0.020 to 0.030 inch holes for ICs and common leaded components.
    Do you make and drill your own boards ? or have them made?

    Leave a comment:


  • Tibuck19
    replied
    Originally posted by dbanner View Post
    I checked the macro footprint size of standard TH-DIL on Sprint, it says 1.6mm, but I always increase to 1.8mm and I change from square pads to rounded( not circular) as I find it's better for drilling and more surface for soldering.
    I saw this nice little pcb plotter, don't know what kind of pen he's using, it doesn't look like a sharpie. It's a very simple design.

    The resolution of your plotting is somewhat poor, I'm sure you can improve it.
    Edited.
    You may have to rescale the image to correct size before converting to STL files. Or perhaps it's just size of footprints and not the overall scaling.
    With 3D printer, you can make parts for a dedicated PCB ink plotter like in the video. Wish I had these toys to play with.
    Great thanks my scaling is good its the pads in Eagle that are just to small, I have no clue how to change the size, Would it be in the Sprint ??
    There is always room for improvement lol but yes a dedicated plotter and driller has always on my mind, in fact, I have a design that nearly there, I just need to get better little motors and drivers for it, here what I got so far. Click image for larger version

Name:	MJH_0862.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	362.6 KB
ID:	352583

    Leave a comment:


  • waltr
    replied
    If you are checking scaling then measure the distance between pins on the 555.
    Should be exactly 0.10 inch or 2.54mm each.
    Spacing across the DIP rows is 0.30inch or 7.62mm.

    Pads need to be 2 to 3 times the hole diameter for easy drilling and soldering.

    I do use 0.060 to 0.080 inch pads and 0.020 to 0.030 inch holes for ICs and common leaded components.

    Leave a comment:


  • dbanner
    replied
    Originally posted by Tibuck19 View Post
    I think my scaling is off a bit, Does anyone know the normal size in mm for the square pads? mine are just around the 1MM. Looks a little small to me.
    I checked the macro footprint size of standard TH-DIL on Sprint, it says 1.6mm, but I always increase to 1.8mm and I change from square pads to rounded( not circular) as I find it's better for drilling and more surface for soldering.
    I saw this nice little pcb plotter, don't know what kind of pen he's using, it doesn't look like a sharpie. It's a very simple design.

    The resolution of your plotting is somewhat poor, I'm sure you can improve it.
    Edited.
    You may have to rescale the image to correct size before converting to STL files. Or perhaps it's just size of footprints and not the overall scaling.
    With 3D printer, you can make parts for a dedicated PCB ink plotter like in the video. Wish I had these toys to play with.

    Leave a comment:


  • Tibuck19
    replied
    I think my scaling is off a bit, Does anyone know the normal size in mm for the square pads? mine are just around the 1MM. Looks a little small to me.

    Leave a comment:


  • Tibuck19
    replied
    Originally posted by waltr View Post
    Nice idea.
    The Sharpie ink on the PCB looks ok for simple boards. Should work.

    By Bumping up the DIP from 300 to 1000 when exporting the image file from eagle, and also bumming up the resolution on that little program down to 0.1 also help improved the traces. Im going to see about finding a even better marker, But nonetheless it will still work, Im going to draw up a little joule thief circuit to test out etching. here is latest test print.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	MJH_0858.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	352579

    Leave a comment:


  • waltr
    replied
    Nice idea.
    The Sharpie ink on the PCB looks ok for simple boards. Should work.

    Leave a comment:


  • Tibuck19
    started a topic 2D 3D printed circuit board

    2D 3D printed circuit board

    Hi guys, I wanted to share with you all, what I've been up too as far as my 3D printing addiction goes, I finally got around to designing a Sharpie holder for my printer, so I can use it as a plotter. In Eagle I export the board as a black and white image file, So far that nothing new to anyone right! what cool is I then using a little program that converts that image into a STL file, so I can print it, by adding a few simple gcode's in the start settings, I'm able to draw out a PCB, I know I didn't invent the wheel here, but im rather proud of the results so far. here a few photo's and a link to my thingivers page where my files are found and also a github link to the image to STL converter.



    Click image for larger version

Name:	MJH_0856.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	369.8 KB
ID:	370867
    Click image for larger version

Name:	MJH_0826.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	379.3 KB
ID:	370869
    Click image for larger version

Name:	MJH_0847.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	456.1 KB
ID:	370868
Working...
X