Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earth resistivity meter / Wenner

Hello everyone,

I registered on this forum to ask questions about earth resistivity technique. I would like to detect cavities/empty spaces (man built) that could be up to 15 meters deep (max!), and should be volumes of a few cubic meters.
    I am a total newbie in geophysics, but I read a lot about earth resistivity meters. Unfortunately I don t have a big budget and can t consider buying one. However if I understood correctly I could still do it, considering that the bear minimum would be :
    - a battery
    - electrodes (stainless steel)
    - voltmeter
    - ammeter
    - 4 cables

Is that correct ?

The terrain I am thinking of testing, is made of clay and chalk mostly. We know for sure that the chalk was used to built the buildings around. But nobody knows how many holes were done here.

What kind of battery do I need ? What voltage/amp ? What volmeter, and ammeter do I need ? I guess I need them to be as precise as possible, please tell me if you know which one to choose.

I couldn t find a clear procedure on how to do it in the field. What I was thinking to do was for example : plant an electrode in the ground (25cm deep) every 50 cm, on a line of 30m (that would be 60 electrodes). Then I d have to connect/disconnect the electrodes for every measure, according to Wenner method (that s a lot). I would then have to do the calculations to find out the resistivity. And then report those values in some software to get a tomography of the ground.

Do I have to wait a certain time between each measure ? I read about the fact that the earth accumulates some electricity, and that can compromise the measures, what can I do about that ?

I don t mind spending a lot of time getting the values, for just one tomography; because I don t plan to make more than 5 or 6 in total.

The place where I am going to take the measures is a field near a small village, and there is a house not far from where I ll plant the electrodes. Would it make any sense to use AC current from the house rather than a DC battery ? Or is this dangerous/stupid/irrelevant ?

Please give me some direction, and answers to the many questions I asked here)

Thank you very much

(and sorry for my poor english)

Hi, in the link below you will find a complete project. I do not have field experience with earth resistivity meters , so cannot answer your other questions.

http://www.geotech1.com/cgi-bin/page...erm1/index.dat

Comment

Seems the PDF is corrupted Won't open

Comment

Originally posted by homefire View Post
        Seems the PDF is corrupted Won't open
        Works ok for me.

Comment

Gives me stick ! LOL Click image for larger version

Name:	Adobe Fail.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	352723

Comment

Work for me also.

Maybe do an update or remove/reinstall on your Adobe.

Comment

I don't have issues with any other files. They pop right up. My Adobe is up to date. Can I get someone to send it to my E-Mail address?

Comment

Got it working. Thanks People.

Comment

Looking for the Ghost from the Past software for this thing (Still Looking) I came across a butt load of useful information some may find us use. http://www.epemag3.com/search.php?zo...=10&zoom_and=0

Comment

here are some good pdf´s for low cost mesassurments:
                    https://www.practica.org/wp-content/...WBP0221216.pdf
                    https://www.practica.org/wp-content/...2-EN-DRAFT.pdf

Comment

This is worth some time to me. https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=489544.0

Comment

There is a good book "Everyday Applied Geophysics 1: Electrical Methods". The Autors have an open source project what they describe in this book, based on Arduino Mega.

Comment

Thank you very much!
                          I ll have a look at all the material you sent me )

Comment

Here is the one I started with to learn.
                            You'll have to invert the pic in the pdf!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Here is the setup I used in the "My Front Yard" surveys in 2005.
                              Here is the Thread title to search from 2005: "My Front Yard" ER Survey Pictures
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X