Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vallon VMH3CS Mine Detector

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Carolina
    replied
    Starter: If The machine becomes chatty or erratic or sometimes a large metal object such as a fence will cause issues I use the fast compensation. When first submerging the search head in salt water I let the search head acclimate to the water temp and then with the search head just above the ground I fast compensate to balance the coil. When out of the water around black sand and wet salt sand and the wash I use fast compensation.

    Leave a comment:


  • Starter
    replied
    Thank You very much Carolina - I have sent you a PM

    I presume 'fast compensation' means ground balance. Do you have to use this every few minutes, or is it just when starting to search?

    Leave a comment:


  • Carolina
    replied
    Starter: If you PM me a email address I will send you a manual for your VALLON. The C button has several uses. As you stated, in mineral it is used for ground compensation. In Normal it is used for fast compensation, in Volume mode it is used for manual channel adjustment. As for the beaches in the UK I think Eric is the best bet for that answer. Here on the east coast of the US, in saltwater, I never use the mineral mode. Sensitivity is default or slightly higher. I only experience a false signal on occasion when changing from damp sand to water. The real test with the VALLON is learning what to dig and what to pass up. Good luck to everybody.

    Leave a comment:


  • Starter
    replied
    This is an amazing thread - although a lot of it is way above my head

    I have just been lucky enough to receive a Vallon in very fine condition. The coil looks barely used, and the main unit looks very clean. Everything seems to work correctly.

    I intend to use the Vallon for searching local beaches (I live in Louth Lincolnshire) and I am also new to beach detecting. All my previous detecting has been done on inland sites. I have two questions which I'm hoping those with some experience with the Vallon may be able to answer:-

    1, I am confused as to the correct use of the 'C' button in Normal Mode. I have tried using it in 'Mineral' Mode to set the ground balance by pumping the coil - and this works perfectly. If I am searching in 'Normal' Mode is this button redundant?

    2. This is a rather imprecise question, but I would be grateful if anyone has any views. As stated earlier I will be searching UK beaches (probably mostly Cleethorpes,Skegness, Mablethorpe etc) and I wonder if it is essential to use 'Mineral' Mode or whether the 'Normal' Mode generally suffices on sandy beaches in the UK.

    Thanks in advance to anybody who is able to help!


    ETA: Just in case there are firmware implications my unit dates to June 2009

    Leave a comment:


  • Sampler_one
    replied
    Hi, Tifred
    I would love to know a more about your battery mod and especially that Minelab coil. Looks amazing. If you have a moment could you please post a small bit of info, explaination of what exactly you did.
    Regards and Thanks in advance,
    Garry

    Leave a comment:


  • below2doe
    replied
    Hi Guys.
    Heres is the detector stand i made out of 1 inch pvc and 4 inch. The short piece goes behind the armrest and stand locks on in front of the armrest so the arm rest is tight with no movement.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01560.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	596.0 KB
ID:	350083

    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01557.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	800.2 KB
ID:	350084

    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01558.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	703.3 KB
ID:	350085

    Regards Ray Below2doe.

    Leave a comment:


  • Sampler_one
    replied
    Well she's a beauty ! My project is on it's way from Poland, should keep me busy this winter. Hope I can figure how to get mine back to a tooth pick look. LOL

    Leave a comment:


  • James_LR
    replied
    No this is how it came. I do clean it thoroughly after each use, down to the toothpick and hoover level in some bits (in particularly fussy about the grooves in the connections bring clean ).

    Leave a comment:


  • Sampler_one
    replied
    I am so curious as your Vallon looks mint. Did you refinish the surface or was it new?

    Leave a comment:


  • James_LR
    replied
    Thanks for both of your responses. Much appreciated whilst I'm learning more about this machine!

    James

    Leave a comment:


  • Ferric Toes
    replied
    Originally posted by James_LR View Post
    Apologies, here are some below. I can see the guide pin grooves that allow the coil to be locked in front or backward facing for kneeling purposes. The O ring is visible on the images too. I've already taken this detector past the lower shaft but not past the housing and it's survived thus far. I picked this up for £150 and live in Liverpool, UK, so the cost to send for servicing is probably not something I'm keen on currently.

    I'm uploading these at the request of Eric

    [ATTACH]41449[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH]41450[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH]41451[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH]41452[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH]41453[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH]41454[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH]41455[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH]41456[/ATTACH]

    Thanks for the response,
    James
    Hi James,

    Here is a picture showing the locking tab that sits in the groove in the box end shaft to prevent any rotation and give the proper alignment between the box and shaft. As Carolina says, it has no sealing purpose. There seems to be quite a gap where the middle screw pulls the two halves together. Check the tightness of all three screws using a suitable size Allen key.

    If you need any spares or service, send me a PM as we are both in the UK. I do not have vacuum testing equipment though, but can check, clean, and replace seals.

    Eric.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070022.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	350042

    Leave a comment:


  • James_LR
    replied
    Apologies, here are some below. I can see the guide pin grooves that allow the coil to be locked in front or backward facing for kneeling purposes. The O ring is visible on the images too. I've already taken this detector past the lower shaft but not past the housing and it's survived thus far. I picked this up for £150 and live in Liverpool, UK, so the cost to send for servicing is probably not something I'm keen on currently.

    I'm uploading these at the request of Eric

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Dial.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	748.9 KB
ID:	350034
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Display.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	805.3 KB
ID:	350035
    Click image for larger version

Name:	7 Pin.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	788.2 KB
ID:	350036
    Click image for larger version

Name:	7 Pin O Ring_I.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	711.5 KB
ID:	350037
    Click image for larger version

Name:	7 Pin O Ring.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	731.2 KB
ID:	350038
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery O Ring.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	852.6 KB
ID:	350039
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery O Ring_I.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	898.0 KB
ID:	350040
    Click image for larger version

Name:	All.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	848.1 KB
ID:	350041

    Thanks for the response,
    James

    Leave a comment:


  • Carolina
    replied
    James, The drop box pictures did not load for me. Many of the cases come new as it is apparent they were not used. What you are calling a seal is what I would call a guide/lock for the upper shaft. You can see the groove in the bottom of the upper shaft. Eric & I have discussed all possible points of water entry above. I do not see where you live. If in the USA I can give you an address to have your machine checked and serviced. Otherwise I would not advise you to take your machine in the water past the lower shaft coupling. To answer your question, no, this has nothing to do with water tightness.

    Leave a comment:


  • James_LR
    replied
    Hi All,

    I don't think my detector is free from service (dust in nooks and crannies etc. and wear to the housing and coil). It does have wear and tear but structurally and mechanically it's solid. The hard and soft case were immaculate when I received it. I'm unsure how long the previous owner had it but I certainly put it through some extensive beach use (hence the wear) and it holds up really nice. Just yesterday it picked up a 10mm musket ball at about ~13 inches! This machine never ceases to amaze me.

    I've provided a link to a dropbox for the pictures here --> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/72ypao1ma...k945Zxcna?dl=0

    Whilst I'm posting pictures please could you answer me this. The back of the housing is held together by three screws. The bottom one has a seal in the groove but the two above don't. Is this a problem for water tightness?

    Thank,
    James

    Leave a comment:


  • Dutchie
    replied
    plenty more Vallons on offer on ebay.co.uk


    this one is a nice target for someone who lives near Billinghurst West Sussex : the vendor does not want to sent - pick up only. For parts or collection.
    No offers yet - so GBP 10 may be enough to get it.
    The armrest, the display and probably the coil look OK:

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X