Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vallon VMH3CS Mine Detector

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • TH'r
    replied
    Thanks for the clarification. In a previous E-mail to Vallon I had specifically asked if the 3.16 would get me the differences you note, with the exception of the confidence click (which is admittedly annoying). They responded that the manual reprint I would get was 1.19 leading me to believe - everything. However, the only items they actually mentioned were the G.B. and auto channel selection.

    Originally posted by Carolina View Post
    TH'r

    Let me weigh in on this topic as I understand it. The 1.14 and 1.19 are not firmware revisions but are manual revisions. The firmware 2.xx MoD ( Ministry of Defense ) is the firmware that most of all the older UK VALLONS have which requires the confidence click. My two detectors (2009 & 2010) came from the UK loaded with the 2.xx firmware. There is a 3.00 and a 3.16/3.18 firmware revision as well. My VALLONS first had the 3.00 firmware revision loaded and this removed the confidence click and added auto channel search and the six filters. Then firmware 3.16/3.18 was loaded which added easier soil compensation mode and I believe the surf mode at that time. The surf mode may have come in revision 3.00 but I think it was added in 3.16/3.18 firmware update.

    The difference in manual 1.14 ( 2.xx firmware ) and manual 1.19 ( 3.00 & 3.16/3.18 firmware ) is as follows

    1. Removal of the confidence click
    2. Auto channel search mode
    3. Six filter mode
    4. Easier soil compensation mode
    5. Surf mode

    This is the best I can describe what was done to my VALLON's. Hope this sheds some light on this topic.
    Good luck to everybody

    Carolina

    Leave a comment:


  • Andi68
    replied
    Vallon - that is German technology at its finest

    Leave a comment:


  • Carolina
    replied
    Originally posted by TH'r View Post
    I have the firmware 1.14 & 1.19 manuals which are available for download. Apparently, there is also a firmware 2 UK MOD version which would explain why the British Vallons operate somewhat differently from as described in the 1.14 manual. The firmware 1.19 differences are quite extensive to discuss in their entirety. I suggest you obtain a 1.19 manual so you can evaluate them for yourself. I am not positive that the 3.16 will get me all of them, (I was only told that the manual version would be 1.19) but I will let everyone know when I get my two detectors back.
    TH'r

    Let me weigh in on this topic as I understand it. The 1.14 and 1.19 are not firmware revisions but are manual revisions. The firmware 2.xx MoD ( Ministry of Defense ) is the firmware that most of all the older UK VALLONS have which requires the confidence click. My two detectors (2009 & 2010) came from the UK loaded with the 2.xx firmware. There is a 3.00 and a 3.16/3.18 firmware revision as well. My VALLONS first had the 3.00 firmware revision loaded and this removed the confidence click and added auto channel search and the six filters. Then firmware 3.16/3.18 was loaded which added easier soil compensation mode and I believe the surf mode at that time. The surf mode may have come in revision 3.00 but I think it was added in 3.16/3.18 firmware update.

    The difference in manual 1.14 ( 2.xx firmware ) and manual 1.19 ( 3.00 & 3.16/3.18 firmware ) is as follows

    1. Removal of the confidence click
    2. Auto channel search mode
    3. Six filter mode
    4. Easier soil compensation mode
    5. Surf mode

    This is the best I can describe what was done to my VALLON's. Hope this sheds some light on this topic.
    Good luck to everybody

    Carolina

    Leave a comment:


  • Carolina
    replied
    I will attempt to clarify some of these issues below.

    Carolina

    Leave a comment:


  • TH'r
    replied
    Originally posted by ionut_mtb View Post
    What benefit you will get from this upgrade?
    I have the firmware 1.14 & 1.19 manuals which are available for download. Apparently, there is also a firmware 2 UK MOD version which would explain why the British Vallons operate somewhat differently from as described in the 1.14 manual. The firmware 1.19 differences are quite extensive to discuss in their entirety. I suggest you obtain a 1.19 manual so you can evaluate them for yourself. I am not positive that the 3.16 will get me all of them, (I was only told that the manual version would be 1.19) but I will let everyone know when I get my two detectors back.

    Leave a comment:


  • ionut_mtb
    replied
    Originally posted by TH'r View Post
    Vallon advises that this upgrade will be to the 1.19 manual. I am going to send in both of my 1.14 Vallons & will post how this works out.
    What benefit you will get from this upgrade?

    Leave a comment:


  • TH'r
    replied
    Vallon advises that this upgrade will be to the 1.19 manual. I am going to send in both of my 1.14 Vallons & will post how this works out.

    Leave a comment:


  • Rocketdemon
    replied
    Originally posted by 6666 View Post
    I would email them now and ask for a tour dont wait until you arrive, give them some time to think about it.
    I must say Vallon is a very helpful and accommodating company, I did email them asking for a tour of their facility while I was there and they have agreed to do so!

    Leave a comment:


  • 6666
    replied
    Originally posted by Rocketdemon View Post
    Well I have made an appointment with Vallon and paid for the firmware upgrade, I will arrive at their reception in Eningen the morning of Tuesday 10th July.

    I 'll try and obtain as much info about the cable/firmware as possible, and be cheeky and ask for a tour of the facility, if you don't ask you don't get!

    If anyone in the UK wants anything picking up PM me.
    I would email them now and ask for a tour dont wait until you arrive, give them some time to think about it.

    Leave a comment:


  • TH'r
    replied
    Recieved another E-mail from the US Vallon Rep. For $125 + shipping both ways to their US facility they will provide a "Civilian Upgrade 3.16". Basic cleaning, repair, seals, and firmware upgrade. I have inquired as to just what the firmware upgrades are and will post them here.

    Originally posted by Carolina View Post
    TH'r:
    I don't think Eric would mind me telling you that I had the upgrade done for him in return for a coil that he wound for me and installed on a lower rod that I fabricated and sent to him. I paid shipping and import fee's and taxes so it was costly for me. On the other hand I have a 12" coil, that works like a charm. My suggestion is the same as above, if you think the update would benefit you I would pay the price. The cost plus a $200 or $300 machine is still much cheaper than any other PI of this caliber. Another issue no one is talking about, is while doing the update it only makes sense to have VALLON do a vacuum test and replace old seals and dehydration capsules. Why limit yourself when most gold I find is waist to chest deep. Just a thought.

    Carolina

    Leave a comment:


  • Rocketdemon
    replied
    Well I have made an appointment with Vallon and paid for the firmware upgrade, I will arrive at their reception in Eningen the morning of Tuesday 10th July.

    I 'll try and obtain as much info about the cable/firmware as possible, and be cheeky and ask for a tour of the facility, if you don't ask you don't get!

    If anyone in the UK wants anything picking up PM me.

    Leave a comment:


  • Carolina
    replied
    Originally posted by TH'r View Post
    Yesterday I was in contact with iED Detection systems which is the US Rep. for Vallon. I wanted to investigate the possibility of them doing the 1.19 upgrade thus avoiding shipping cost to Germany. I was advised that this upgrade was only for Govt./Mil. and as a civilian it is not available for me. How did you guys manage to get it done?
    TH'r:
    I don't think Eric would mind me telling you that I had the upgrade done for him in return for a coil that he wound for me and installed on a lower rod that I fabricated and sent to him. I paid shipping and import fee's and taxes so it was costly for me. On the other hand I have a 12" coil, that works like a charm. My suggestion is the same as above, if you think the update would benefit you I would pay the price. The cost plus a $200 or $300 machine is still much cheaper than any other PI of this caliber. Another issue no one is talking about, is while doing the update it only makes sense to have VALLON do a vacuum test and replace old seals and dehydration capsules. Why limit yourself when most gold I find is waist to chest deep. Just a thought.

    Carolina

    Leave a comment:


  • TH'r
    replied
    Yesterday I was in contact with iED Detection systems which is the US Rep. for Vallon. I wanted to investigate the possibility of them doing the 1.19 upgrade thus avoiding shipping cost to Germany. I was advised that this upgrade was only for Govt./Mil. and as a civilian it is not available for me. How did you guys manage to get it done?

    Originally posted by Ferric Toes View Post
    I have a Vallon with the filter options mentioned by Carolina but have not yet done any real field tests with it. In my opinion, the standard Vallon without the options is a little too fast in that for coins and rings it tunes out too quickly. I would think that settings of 2 or 3 would be better, particularly for the more deeply buried targets. Also, as KingJL states, interference rejection would be better.

    Additional coils are available for the Vallon (at huge expense) for UXO searches. These are 30cm and 60cm diameter and the slower response would certainly be better when using these.

    I have noticed, that in the 'mineral' setting of the standard Vallon the filtering seems slower. Perhaps KingJL could confirm this.

    Eric.

    Leave a comment:


  • Altra
    replied
    Originally posted by Carolina View Post
    These are files and programs related to VALLONS data recording and evaluating software for UXO. It is useless without a software USB dongle to unlock the license. I have explained in detail to another member how the download is accomplished which is actually two downloads to get to the final version Eric and I have. I say if you think you would like the newer software version and it would benefit you, well, just pay the price. There may be a easier cheaper way in the near future for some. We shall see.

    Best wishes
    Carolina
    Thanks for your insight. I'll watch for developments

    Leave a comment:


  • Carolina
    replied
    Originally posted by Altra View Post
    KingJl pointed me to this post on page 37, last post.



    Graylorie provided this link, that has some interesting files which should be downloaded while public

    http://www.vallon.de/pdf/download/
    These are files and programs related to VALLONS data recording and evaluating software for UXO. It is useless without a software USB dongle to unlock the license. I have explained in detail to another member how the download is accomplished which is actually two downloads to get to the final version Eric and I have. I say if you think you would like the newer software version and it would benefit you, well, just pay the price. There may be a easier cheaper way in the near future for some. We shall see.

    Best wishes
    Carolina

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X