Originally posted by greylourie
View Post
Minelab certainly cottoned on to this and designed the SD2000 which is still revered today as one of the best, and it found a huge amount of gold for those first users. All the follow on models, as far as I am aware, are refinements of this first detector. This success was built on in terms of strong advertising (why not?) and over the years 10's of thousands of Minelab's PI gold detectors have been sold. That has resulted in what you state i.e. "If you go to any of the forums/websites where photos, videos and narratives of gold finds are posted, you will see what make and model predominates". This is advertising building on advertising and it sells detectors; that is what business is all about. There is also a psychological aspect; If everyone and his dog is using a Minelab and finds gold, then they must be good, and I will be at a disadvantage if I don't have one too.
This does not mean, however, that other detectors are necessarily inferior in detection ability. It all depends on what you want from a detector and whether there is a chance of recouping your considerable cost investment in the case of a Minelab.
Although your post was not Vallon specific, it was posted on a Vallon thread and I can see why. Kingswood said that he prefered the Vallon to the new Minelab model which is advertised as being particularly sensitive to very small gold. From the tests I have done, and others like Kingswood are doing, it appears that it does have competitive ability in gold detection in severely mineralised areas. It is also extremely rugged, as one would expect from military hardware, easy to use and a fraction of the price, although a new one would be up there, and probably above, the top Minelabs. One disadavantage of the Vallon at the moment is that the only coil is the truncated 12 x 7in elliptical, unless you want to shell out $1000 or so for a new 12in round.
I have made a few coils of my own for the Vallon and am presently testing a 6in elliptical. This has improved the sensitivity slightly so that I can now detect a 0.2gm nugget at 1.5in and a 0.3gm nugget at 3in. This is the same both in 'normal mode' and in 'mineralised mode' through a lump of Victorian ironstone. A US nickel comes in a 13in on this coil and I am happy with all these figures and would say that they are more than adequate for what I would want to do. I would also look for ground that has not been hunted to death so that only fly spot flakes remain. I know I would not have the patience to go loaming electronically.
Eric.
!!
...
Leave a comment: