Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vallon VMH3CS Mine Detector

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Some more photos showing Eric's audio transformer mod and an added switch for internal external audio.
    the Bluetooth headphones and transmitter are V4.2 and are very low latency. Transmitter from EBay , headphones from Target Australia.
    Total for BT $65



    more later

    Brian

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Hi Eric,

    Thanks for that, I had a thought that it was a marking paint, I cleaned it with a diluted pcb cleaning agent without any damage.

    Well, I also put the unit back together after an internal clean down, did the audio mods added the stand and tested the Bluetooth, all working Ok, no latency.
    Had to add a switch for internal / external audio as I did not trust the quality of the switchable 3mm phone jacks available, works fine.

    A couple of quick photos here, I will add more once I tighten everything up and give it a final clean. Click image for larger version

Name:	Vallon _1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	349041 Click image for larger version

Name:	Vallon _4.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	349040

    Brian
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mdtoday; 07-25-2017, 01:45 PM. Reason: typo

    Leave a comment:


  • Ferric Toes
    replied
    Originally posted by Teleno View Post
    My Vallon can detect a jean rivet at 30cm depth, but it's blind at all to this 0.3g flat gold nugget. My MiniPulsePlus can see it at 3cm though.

    What are your experiences with gold nuggets and the Vallon?


    I would imagine that this 0.3gm nugget is very thin as it looks about the same area as a 1gm nugget I have. At 6uS delay you are detecting it with the MPP but the Vallon is rather different. Nobody here at the moment knows what the Vallon timing is but it must be equivalent to a longer delay. My 0.3gm nugget is more spherical.

    Eric.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ferric Toes
    replied
    I have found this yellow paint on a few of the Vallons I have. I believe that it is paint that is sprayed on the ground when a potential mine is detected, and it is quite difficult to remove. I used MEK; a cleaning fluid for pvc piping prior to doing a solvent weld. I first checked that it did not affect the case or coil shell of the Vallon as it is quite an aggressive fluid. Perhaps paint brush cleaning fluid would work as well.

    Eric.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Thanks, Eric, Carolina and Altair I'll use that method before reassembly.
    I have yellow paint spattered all over my unit, it looks like maybe a marker type, so hopefully is water based.
    Hope to have some photos of the mods and completed restoration posted soon.
    Working on the Vallon has given me a few ideas for body ergonomics and simplicity of design for my own project.
    Went bush today and picked up some nice hot rocks and other highly mineralised soil mix so I can do some quick checks on the bench.

    Brian

    Leave a comment:


  • Ferric Toes
    replied
    Yes, that is correct and you can do a good external cleanup without taking the detector apart. Use of an old toothbrush with soapy water (washing up liquid) can get rid of the dust in the knurled shaft locking collars and their internal threads and when dry, brush in some ArmorAll. Finish threads with a very light smear of silicone grease.

    Eric.

    Leave a comment:


  • Carolina
    replied
    I read in an earlier post I believe, Eric used warm soapy water and ArmorAll Trim and Plastic Restorer. Made mine look like new again.

    Carolina

    Leave a comment:


  • Altair
    replied
    Originally posted by Mdtoday View Post
    Hi Eric,

    That is indeed a great transformation, well done.
    What do you use to clean, warm soapy water or mineral based cleaner Eric?

    Brian
    For my machine I used home cleaner soapy, water and finish it with silicon grease. The result is excellent: the grease give it a polished lubricator aspect and preserve it from humidity

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Hi Eric,

    That is indeed a great transformation, well done.
    What do you use to clean, warm soapy water or mineral based cleaner Eric?

    Brian

    Leave a comment:


  • kingswood
    replied
    Originally posted by Teleno View Post
    My Vallon can detect a jean rivet at 30cm depth, but it's blind at all to this 0.3g flat gold nugget. My MiniPulsePlus can see it at 3cm though.

    What are your experiences with gold nuggets and the Vallon?


    Interesting!....I know my Vallon can ping my 1.8g and 0.8g test nuggets...they are round nuggets. I guess the shape and thickness of the nugget would change the TC....I think...
    I also know it can ping a 0.5g round bit of lead shot.
    It can also signal on the smallest bits of metal scrap.
    If there are any land mines where I detect, I am confident that I will find them

    Leave a comment:


  • Qiaozhi
    replied
    Originally posted by Teleno View Post
    My MiniPulsePlus can see it at 3cm though.
    Teleno - Out of interest ... did you modify your MPP?
    If so, what changes did you make, and what are the parameters of the coil?
    Maybe you should reply in a new thread in the MPP project section, so as to keep this thread focused on the Vallon.
    Thanks.

    Leave a comment:


  • Teleno
    replied
    My Vallon can detect a jean rivet at 30cm depth, but it's blind at all to this 0.3g flat gold nugget. My MiniPulsePlus can see it at 3cm though.

    What are your experiences with gold nuggets and the Vallon?


    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Carolina
    replied
    Hi Eric: Looks like you been busy! Very nice clean up. I can't help but notice in the before and after pictures the British ID tag is missing. They choose a small square tag placement just to the right of the larger VALLON tag rather than the opposite side of the main body where you see the rectangular indention with two small holes for rivets. All VALLONS sold in the US look like this. It is evident that that machine was in the middle east from the tell tale red dust throughout. My rant is because all US VALLONS come with the 3.16 firmware installed as the British requested the 3.0 version. If it has the confidence click, 3.0 & if not 3.16. I'm sure you would have caught this though. Again super job.

    Carolina

    Leave a comment:


  • daverave
    replied
    Originally posted by Ferric Toes View Post
    After the big strip down the was the equally big reassembly. A new armrest had to be fitted, but all the rest of the parts are as in the previous pictures (posts 1114 - 5), but now cleaned up. A couple of O rings were replaced and the missing one on the 7 pin connector is now there.
    After the assembly was completed a full test was made of all functions and everything was up to spec. What appeared to be fit for the skip, now has a new life

    Eric.

    [ATTACH]40113[/ATTACH]
    Hi Eric...Thats an amazing transformation.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ferric Toes
    replied
    Vallon Valet

    After the big strip down the was the equally big reassembly. A new armrest had to be fitted, but all the rest of the parts are as in the previous pictures (posts 1114 - 5), but now cleaned up. A couple of O rings were replaced and the missing one on the 7 pin connector is now there.
    After the assembly was completed a full test was made of all functions and everything was up to spec. What appeared to be fit for the skip, now has a new life

    Eric.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060807.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	349028

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X