Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vallon VMH3CS Mine Detector

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • mschmahl
    replied
    Originally posted by 6666 View Post
    After some testing of my 2010 machine by pushing + and - together it appears to only have manual channel select, very time consuming

    Interestingly , as you change channel, if you listen carefully to the internal audio tone that comes from the case
    the frequency of the tone changes with the channel.
    It is the same with my both vallons. One is from US one from GB. I have ask Vallon by email and they said, that there is a different software for military use, where there be a lot of limitations, because of easier handling/learning.

    Leave a comment:


  • kingswood
    replied
    Originally posted by garyq View Post
    I am also using the "Energizer" brand although mine are rechargeable "AA" size NiMH.

    In a previous post you said you are "using 3 good quality "Energizer" D sized batteries" so not sure if they are "D" size NiMH rechargeable?

    I found this link http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/bes...ble-batteries/ that mentions the Energizer NiMH rechargeable that I am using was their pick.

    Therefore I expect Energizer "D" size NiMH recharables to be one of the best also.

    Although not sure weight wise the difference between 3 "D" size and 6 "AA" size that I use?

    Also much talk out there on which battery type best to use, lithium & etc.

    A dislike of the NiMH is the time it can take to do a proper recharge.


    Just regular Energizer Max D-cell. I figured that I can 1) buy them almost everywhere and 2) they are pretty cheap....And I cant really be bothered having to recharge things.
    And Bunnings sell them in a 4 pack for just under 10 bucks Happy with battery life so far.

    Leave a comment:


  • garyq
    replied
    Originally posted by kingswood View Post
    but I am still using the same batteries that I started the Vallon with....I would estimate about 20 hours of use at the moment. Pretty good. "Energizer" brand.
    I am also using the "Energizer" brand although mine are rechargeable "AA" size NiMH.

    In a previous post you said you are "using 3 good quality "Energizer" D sized batteries" so not sure if they are "D" size NiMH rechargeable?

    I found this link http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/bes...ble-batteries/ that mentions the Energizer NiMH rechargeable that I am using was their pick.

    Therefore I expect Energizer "D" size NiMH recharables to be one of the best also.

    Although not sure weight wise the difference between 3 "D" size and 6 "AA" size that I use?

    Also much talk out there on which battery type best to use, lithium & etc.

    A dislike of the NiMH is the time it can take to do a proper recharge.


    Leave a comment:


  • kingswood
    replied
    Originally posted by 6666 View Post
    Of course you were not wearing steel capped boots, or have metal shoe lace eyelets in your shoes or have metal ends on your shoe laces
    ha ha...No actually got rid of my steel caps recently after making that mistake!

    Leave a comment:


  • 6666
    replied
    Okay so this may all be good news though!...I really struggled to stabilize the bigger coil and now I am a bit more reassured that it may well have been due to EMI rather than anything else

    Of course you were not wearing steel capped boots, or have metal shoe lace eyelets in your shoes or have metal ends on your shoe laces

    Leave a comment:


  • 6666
    replied
    After some testing of my 2010 machine by pushing + and - together it appears to only have manual channel select, very time consuming

    Interestingly , as you change channel, if you listen carefully to the internal audio tone that comes from the case
    the frequency of the tone changes with the channel.

    Leave a comment:


  • kingswood
    replied
    Originally posted by Altra View Post
    Maybe this is why you cannot get the large coil to stabilize? I was amazed at how quiet the detector became when I found a good channel. Out of the box 3 or 4 leds constantly chattering, now smooth and sensitive.
    I will try channel selection if it is still unstable when I try it next...without the phone and the pin-pointer

    Leave a comment:


  • Altra
    replied
    Originally posted by kingswood View Post
    I havent changed any channels
    Maybe this is why you cannot get the large coil to stabilize? I was amazed at how quiet the detector became when I found a good channel. Out of the box 3 or 4 leds constantly chattering, now smooth and sensitive.

    Leave a comment:


  • kingswood
    replied
    Originally posted by Chet View Post
    A Pin-Pointer can interfere even when off. Chet
    Really?!!...Oh dear, first time I had one of these with me too!...That was in my hip pouch
    Okay so this may all be good news though!...I really struggled to stabilize the bigger coil and now I am a bit more reassured that it may well have been due to EMI rather than anything else
    Eric, on the battery draw: I havent changed any channels, but I am still using the same batteries that I started the Vallon with....I would estimate about 20 hours of use at the moment. Pretty good. "Energizer" brand.

    Leave a comment:


  • Chet
    replied
    I have found some two way pocket radios that interfere during received messages. A Pin-Pointer can interfere even when off. A spare coil inside a backpack or a VLF detector on the backpack can also be detected as you swing from side to side or bend over. Orientation of a spare coil to a perpendicular position will increase the pickup distance.


    Try to test each electronic device or metal object to determine how much distance is needed to prevent interference or detection.


    Have a good day,
    Chet

    Leave a comment:


  • Ferric Toes
    replied
    Current Draw and Channel Setting

    Now that all the channel settings have been sorted out, I thought it would be interesting to see if the current drawn off the batteries changed significantly when changing channel (pulse repetition rate). I would expect that, all else being equal, the current would change if the prf changed and that is the case with the Vallon. Running off a bench power supply set to 4.5V the current draw is 350ma when set to the highest frequency channel (13,01. prf 2040). On the lowest frequency channel (12,10. prf 1650) the current drops to 296mA. All the other channels sit at current values in between these two limits.

    A 50mA difference can be quite significant in terms of battery life so it would be more economical to select a channel that is in the top 16 of KingJL's 'By Freq' chart on post 728. That would be from the top and down to 14,06. prf 1790, current 315mA, where you are saving 35mA compared to 13,01.

    If you can't find a noise free channel in the top 16, then obviously try further down the chart but try and avoid 19xx - 20xx pulse frequencies.

    Eric.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ferric Toes
    replied
    Originally posted by kingswood View Post
    I am hoping that it was the phone!!!
    Minelab document says: "Some mobile phones (but not all) will cause interference if less than about 2 metres (6 feet) away from the sensitive PI units. Beyond 2 metres, there is no effect."
    My phone was literally 80cm away
    I think that this is an important point to bear in mind for all users of PI detectors, and maybe other types too. Also to be included are VHF/UHF handheld tranceivers. I had a lot of trouble on a large industrial site where workers communicated with each other by these latter devices and caused interference with underbelt conveyor PI detectors when transmitting within 20ft or so.

    With the popularity of mobile phones it is so easy to have it on one's person in a standby state and not relate it to interference on the detector. If you can, switch it off while detecting, I will do some tests with my mobile phone to see if it upsets the Vallon

    Eric.

    Leave a comment:


  • kingswood
    replied
    Originally posted by Ferric Toes View Post
    Yes, that is definitely a possibility and I have seen it happen with other detectors, both here and in Australia. I don't know much about mobile phone technology but it appears that they communicate periodically with their network when switched on, even if they are not actively being used. Although the rf frequencies are way outside the passband of the detector, they get demodulated and appear as a sporadic offset at the preamp output which results in a short burst of audio.

    Eric.
    I am hoping that it was the phone!!!
    Minelab document says: "Some mobile phones (but not all) will cause interference if less than about 2 metres (6 feet) away from the sensitive PI units. Beyond 2 metres, there is no effect."
    My phone was literally 80cm away
    Last edited by kingswood; 03-20-2017, 09:30 AM. Reason: added bit

    Leave a comment:


  • Ferric Toes
    replied
    Originally posted by kingswood View Post
    Now I have been thinking about this more....It was the first time I have taken my mobile with me...Could that have caused the 30cm to appear to be unstable?? (Phone was in my shorts pocket!)
    Yes, that is definitely a possibility and I have seen it happen with other detectors, both here and in Australia. I don't know much about mobile phone technology but it appears that they communicate periodically with their network when switched on, even if they are not actively being used. Although the rf frequencies are way outside the passband of the detector, they get demodulated and appear as a sporadic offset at the preamp output which results in a short burst of audio.

    Eric.

    Leave a comment:


  • kingswood
    replied
    Now I have been thinking about this more....It was the first time I have taken my mobile with me...Could that have caused the 30cm to appear to be unstable?? (Phone was in my shorts pocket!)

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X