Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vallon VMH3CS Mine Detector

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • kingswood
    replied
    Thats interesting!
    Does the Vallon have a removal HDD that holds the software??...

    Leave a comment:


  • Altra
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    post #425 page 17
    post #925 page 37

    A little more discussion of the RS232 is on posts #926, #927 and #928 on page 38.
    Those three posts sum it up pretty well. The serial data probably is normal, serial Rx/Tx on external connector , but the GUI won't function unless it detects the Vallon cable/dongle.

    Maybe someone will figure a work around?

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    ... I think, somewhere in this thread, someone identified the data pins.
    post #425 page 17
    ... I also seem to remember someone, in this thread, trying the upgrade software and experiencing a "dongle not found" situation.
    post #925 page 37

    A little more discussion of the RS232 is on posts #926, #927 and #928 on page 38.

    Leave a comment:


  • Altra
    replied
    Thanks, dongle would indicate some sort of encryption of the serial lines.

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Originally posted by Altra View Post
    ... JLKing, can you say if the data port is labeled?
    I do not have anything on the layout of the serial port. I know from Eric, that the headphone sound is pin D, that internal speaker disable is pin B, and that GND is pin F. I think, somewhere in this thread, someone identified the data pins. I also seem to remember someone, in this thread, trying the upgrade software and experiencing a "dongle not found" situation. I would imagine that the 224EUR cable is a specialized configuration that Vallon uses to identify a legitimate connection... but I do not know this. Still, I am intrigued by the possibilities.

    Leave a comment:


  • Altra
    replied
    Originally posted by Rocketdemon View Post
    Vallon got back to me with prices........

    If I get the detector to the Eningen factory in Germany upgrade costs 71.30 Euros

    "Alternatively, we can provide a data cable and USB converter to enable you to do the update on your own.

    Costs: (plus 19% VAT/TAX)

    CONNECTION CABLE OUT-PC 6POLE, LENGTH: 3 m, Vallon ref. 2509990071 = EUR 224/-
    USB TO SERIAL CONVERTER, Vallon ref. 5800001017E = EUR 41/-
    Firmware: free download"
    Hi Rocketman

    Do you know if you can get the free firmware without purchasing the cable?

    You can buy serial to usb modules on ebay for about $5,


    The 224eur cable is 6 conductor, probably with connections Vdd, gnd, Rx, Tx, and maybe flow control, dtr, cts.

    If someone can get the firmware, I would use my vmh3cs for experimenting with the upgrade

    JLKing, can you say if the data port is labeled?
    Last edited by Altra; 06-18-2018, 05:12 PM. Reason: typo

    Leave a comment:


  • Ferric Toes
    replied
    Very interesting. It is expensive for the cable and as I have 6 pole connectors, I wonder if I could make my own cable. Depends what the connection to the USB - Serlal converter is.

    As I have a number of Vallon VMH3CS, I might avail myself of that as I like the alternative features.

    Eric.

    Leave a comment:


  • Rocketdemon
    replied
    Originally posted by Rocketdemon View Post
    I have contacted Vallon to ask if its possible to have the upgrade done here in the UK and what the associated cost would be.

    For general wet beach detecting would the upgrade be worth the associated cost? Its not going to be free I'am sure!

    The confidence click I can live with, I would have access to the filters to experiment with but are there any others changes made that are worth paying for?
    Vallon got back to me with prices........

    If I get the detector to the Eningen factory in Germany upgrade costs 71.30 Euros

    "Alternatively, we can provide a data cable and USB converter to enable you to do the update on your own.

    Costs: (plus 19% VAT/TAX)

    CONNECTION CABLE OUT-PC 6POLE, LENGTH: 3 m, Vallon ref. 2509990071 = EUR 224/-
    USB TO SERIAL CONVERTER, Vallon ref. 5800001017E = EUR 41/-
    Firmware: free download"

    Leave a comment:


  • Carolina
    replied
    Originally posted by Rocketdemon View Post
    I have contacted Vallon to ask if its possible to have the upgrade done here in the UK and what the associated cost would be.

    For general wet beach detecting would the upgrade be worth the associated cost? Its not going to be free I'am sure!

    The confidence click I can live with, I would have access to the filters to experiment with but are there any others changes made that
    are worth paying for?
    Well, it all depends on what you consider worth while I guess. One other feature you gain from the update is something that ICENI would certainly appreciate is auto channel search. With forty channels to choose from manually, a auto search is a wonderful option to have and a wonder to watch as the VALLON searches all forty channels looking for the quietest. There is also a new easier ground compensation option and a salt water beach mode, ( I have never needed at my beach ). Another thought would be to have VALLON test your detector for water worthiness and replace any seals and gaskets. The cost may surprise you. For me the cost of shipping was my largest expense.

    Leave a comment:


  • ICENI
    replied
    Thanks for the response Eric , Carolina kindly sent me the manual so i will try again at the beach this weekend , my original channel setting was 4 and 14 which i changed to 5 and 11 to try what TH'r found to be his quietest channel . My local beaches will be a good test for the Vallon as they have black mineralised sand at 3 inches depth and lots of hot rocks

    Leave a comment:


  • Ferric Toes
    replied
    Originally posted by ICENI View Post
    Hi I am new to the Forum and a new owner of the Vallon VMH3CS and have only tested it in my back garden . i am situated on the east coast of England 5 miles from the sea . the trouble that i am having at the moment is in normal mode i only have no falsing with sensitivity set at 2 leds but the depth is still impressive as follows.

    The Vallon detected all these at 7 inches Victorian half penny , Gold 6 gram ring , gold 4 gram ring , pre 1947 half crown , pre 1947 shilling .

    The Vallon did not detect 1.3 gram gold ring or a pre 1947 six pence with sensitivity set at 2 but when increased to 4 it did , but the Vallon was unstable

    I only had time to do 1 test at 10 inches which was the pre 1947 half crown which the Vallon detected .
    First of all, take the Vallon to an open field or the beach and try again. Back gardens usually have high levels of interference from surrounding houses and buildings.

    Next thing, is do you have a full manual? This will tell you how to change channels and find a quiet one. There are 40 channels to chose from and it might take a while to find the sweet spot. If you don't have the manual, it is downloadable from this thread on page 59.

    Eric.

    Leave a comment:


  • Rocketdemon
    replied
    Originally posted by Carolina View Post
    Rocketdemon,

    Yes version 1.14 can be upgraded to version 1.19. Must be done by a VALLON rep. or VALLON themselves. They are very protective of the software as you might expect.

    Carolina
    I have contacted Vallon to ask if its possible to have the upgrade done here in the UK and what the associated cost would be.

    For general wet beach detecting would the upgrade be worth the associated cost? Its not going to be free I'am sure!

    The confidence click I can live with, I would have access to the filters to experiment with but are there any others changes made that are worth paying for?

    Leave a comment:


  • ICENI
    replied
    Hi I am new to the Forum and a new owner of the Vallon VMH3CS and have only tested it in my back garden . i am situated on the east coast of England 5 miles from the sea . the trouble that i am having at the moment is in normal mode i only have no falsing with sensitivity set at 2 leds but the depth is still impressive as follows.

    The Vallon detected all these at 7 inches Victorian half penny , Gold 6 gram ring , gold 4 gram ring , pre 1947 half crown , pre 1947 shilling .

    The Vallon did not detect 1.3 gram gold ring or a pre 1947 six pence with sensitivity set at 2 but when increased to 4 it did , but the Vallon was unstable

    I only had time to do 1 test at 10 inches which was the pre 1947 half crown which the Vallon detected .

    Leave a comment:


  • Carolina
    replied
    VALLON UPGRADE

    Originally posted by Rocketdemon View Post
    Thanks KingJL and Carolina

    In that case I have Ver 1.14, is it possible to upgrade to Ver 1.19?
    Rocketdemon,

    Yes version 1.14 can be upgraded to version 1.19. Must be done by a VALLON rep. or VALLON themselves. They are very protective of the software as you might expect.

    Carolina

    Leave a comment:


  • Altra
    replied
    Originally posted by Carolina View Post
    Altra: This VALLON comes with a bright red tag on the control body. It is for UXO detection and would not work properly on coin and ring size objects I have been told. I tried to have this software installed in my detector but VALLON would not allow it. I then chose the 1.19 software version instead.

    Carolina
    Thanks, that's what I suspected.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X