Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vallon VMH3CS Mine Detector

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rocketdemon
    replied
    Vallon Coil Resonant Frequency

    Hi all.

    I am in the process of making an 11 inch coil for the Vallon based on Eric's designs, all going well so far but have a few questions, if anyone can help?

    I've read about the resonant frequency of the coil, but what should it be in the ideal world for the Vallon and why?

    And what about the Q of the coil, should it be wide or narrow?

    Being an RF man, normally the resonant frequency would be directly related to the Tx/Rx frequency, but I guess P.I. is different. Very wide bandwidth so wide coil bandwidth low Q?

    Help Please!

    Pete

    Leave a comment:


  • ICENI
    replied
    [QUOTE=Rocketdemon;247793]When Vallon upgraded mine at the factory I witnessed the process, they used a Vallon piece of software to connect to the device, I would email them and ask them to send it to you.



    I emailed Vallon Pete , and they have now sent me instructions on the firmware update ,the md boot program and firmware updates 3.40 and 3.41 .

    Leave a comment:


  • Rocketdemon
    replied
    Originally posted by ICENI View Post
    Today i received my data transfer cable and usb to serial converter from Vallon , but no link or instructions on its use .
    When Vallon upgraded mine at the factory I witnessed the process, they used a Vallon piece of software to connect to the device, I would email them and ask them to send it to you.

    Pete

    Leave a comment:


  • chevesne
    replied
    Maybe in "dongle manual install" ?

    Leave a comment:


  • ICENI
    replied
    Today i received my data transfer cable and usb to serial converter from Vallon , but no link or instructions on its use .

    Leave a comment:


  • Rocketdemon
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    Last week, I visited the Wilmington, NC area (Carolina Beach & Kure Beach) and had an opportunity to get on the beach with the "predator". During that time it locked up on me 3 times, even when taking precautions to minimize the signal when switching. Twice going from probe to search and once going from search to probe. Returned home Monday and received the On/Off/On switch I had ordered on Tuesday. This AM, I wired in the On/Off/On switch and switched between probe and search many, many times... no lockup. It seems that allowing it to momentarily register "open coil" permits the changeover without causing lock-up.

    I am taking the Vallon with it's 11 inch EF coil on holiday with me next Friday, its has its own suit case and lots of bubble wrap!

    Looking for gold on Cocoa Beach FL!

    Pete

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Originally posted by Ferric Toes View Post
    Yes, that is exactly what happened with me, except it was more frequent. The on/off/on switch is a idea worth trying.

    Eric.
    Last week, I visited the Wilmington, NC area (Carolina Beach & Kure Beach) and had an opportunity to get on the beach with the "predator". During that time it locked up on me 3 times, even when taking precautions to minimize the signal when switching. Twice going from probe to search and once going from search to probe. Returned home Monday and received the On/Off/On switch I had ordered on Tuesday. This AM, I wired in the On/Off/On switch and switched between probe and search many, many times... no lockup. It seems that allowing it to momentarily register "open coil" permits the changeover without causing lock-up.

    Leave a comment:


  • Rocketdemon
    replied
    Originally posted by horus1970 View Post
    to clarify, the detector strap uses the backpack shoulder straps as a kind of harness, can be adjusted for length with the webbing buckle on strap, it a fantastic addition, just kind of swing your hips a bit and your arms dont need to do any work,
    Yes your dead right and its very comfortable! I am going to try that next time I am down the beach...Cheers horus1970

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Strap attached to Vallon.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	490.3 KB
ID:	351885

    Leave a comment:


  • horus1970
    replied
    to clarify, the detector strap uses the backpack shoulder straps as a kind of harness, can be adjusted for length with the webbing buckle on strap, it a fantastic addition, just kind of swing your hips a bit and your arms dont need to do any work,

    Leave a comment:


  • horus1970
    replied
    i have that strap fitted to mine, the parachord end loops around black metal bar under the arm rest and the webbing loop fits onto backpack padded shoulder straps, there are lengths of webbing sewn onto front of the padded straps, the webbing end loops around these, then simply press quick detatch and the detector can unclipped, will try to post a pick of my vallon with it being used.
    Originally posted by Rocketdemon View Post
    Well the mystery Vallon strap has arrived!

    Looks like it may fit to a belt and something is attached to the cord loop? The detector maybe?

    Leave a comment:


  • Rocketdemon
    replied
    Hi All

    I am making a 11 inch coil for my Vallon, sorted all the coil design details out but haven't a clue about what I should be filling the coil housing/former with to make it water tight, Epoxy Resin etc.

    Can anyone help me out?

    I have posted this in the coil forum as well, sorry if this goes off thread bit.

    Pete

    Leave a comment:


  • Carolina
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	F7EDD612-FF7E-4741-9738-FBF0BF819D39.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	351878

    Here is the VALLON cuff strap in the “ new improved arm cuff “.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ferric Toes
    replied
    Originally posted by Carolina View Post
    The strap is not made by VALLON. VALLON thinks the strap may have been used with the soldiers Molley vest. They theorize the strap with the snap goes around the detector and the rope or paracord end looped around a tie down on the Molley vest. Maybe to take some weight off the arm. It deffinately has nothing to do with the cuff.
    Most of the Vallons that have come onto the market have, what I call, the rabbit ear cuff. There is no provision on this for a strap of any kind. A few have the wider cuff where there are slots for a strap, but I don't know of any where such a strap has been fitted. There would have been no reason to take the strap off when put into public sale.

    Eric.

    Leave a comment:


  • qute1
    replied
    indeed but when it all kicks off he doesn't need a four foot long arm either......

    Leave a comment:


  • Ferric Toes
    replied
    Originally posted by qute1 View Post
    nice answer + i did used to see them being used with the snap strap on the detector but the rope around the guys belt loops as they didn't use the cuff because if something happened they could not react quickly and just drop the vallon (serious no no) but its hard to return fire or take cover with a large metal detector effectively strapped to your best arm.
    From what I have seen in pictures, the Vallon man is not armed, his job is purely to concentrate on locatiing mines. However, he is covered by two soldiers with guns at the ready.

    Eric.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X