Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vallon VMH3CS Mine Detector

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • kingswood
    replied
    Originally posted by Chet View Post
    Hi Kingswood

    You are right on, there are a lot of nuggets out there that are within the range of the VMH3CS.
    If you get a large coil it would be interesting to see how well it compares on the same coins between loop sizes?
    The Australian 1 cent coin might be a good crossover point for comparison.
    You could also cut a coin into half and quarter size for some added test samples.

    Have a good day,
    Chet
    Yes, I am hoping that the VMH3CS finds a few nuggets!
    I have a 30cm coil coming from Vallon, will post some pics when it arrives.
    I have a mate who has some small-ish nuggets so am planning on buying a few off him to test. Will post comparisons between the standard coil and the 30cm Vallon coil

    Leave a comment:


  • Chet
    replied
    Hi Kingswood

    You are right on, there are a lot of nuggets out there that are within the range of the VMH3CS.
    If you get a large coil it would be interesting to see how well it compares on the same coins between loop sizes?
    The Australian 1 cent coin might be a good crossover point for comparison.
    You could also cut a coin into half and quarter size for some added test samples.

    Have a good day,
    Chet

    Leave a comment:


  • kingswood
    replied
    Originally posted by Chet View Post
    Hi Kingswood, 6666


    The gold coins below are from the US mint if you want the dimensions they are on their website. Depth is in inches. The measurements are air test inside with a high EMI environment. Sensitivity was set at 12. Detection was determined by seeing the first or second LED lite up.


    Size”-------------------- Depth”
    0.3 gram nugget-------1.0”
    0.65 gram nugget-----4.5”
    0.10 oz gold coin------10.6”
    0.25 oz gold coin------12”
    0.50 oz gold coin------13”
    1.00 oz gold coin------14”


    1962 Australian 1 cent-------9.5”
    1971 Australian 5 cents------10.5”
    1968 Australian 2 cents------11”
    1984 US Nickel-----------------12”
    2002 Australian 10 cents-----13”


    These are all good numbers except for the very small nuggets that it will miss.


    Have a good one,
    Chet
    4.5" on a 0.65g nugget!! I am impressed with that!
    I think that if I happen to swing the Vallon over some gold, there is a fair chance that I will find it

    Leave a comment:


  • Chet
    replied
    Hi Kingswood, 6666


    The gold coins below are from the US mint if you want the dimensions they are on their website. Depth is in inches. The measurements are air test inside with a high EMI environment. Sensitivity was set at 12. Detection was determined by seeing the first or second LED lite up.


    Size”-------------------- Depth”
    0.3 gram nugget-------1.0”
    0.65 gram nugget-----4.5”
    0.10 oz gold coin------10.6”
    0.25 oz gold coin------12”
    0.50 oz gold coin------13”
    1.00 oz gold coin------14”


    1962 Australian 1 cent-------9.5”
    1971 Australian 5 cents------10.5”
    1968 Australian 2 cents------11”
    1984 US Nickel-----------------12”
    2002 Australian 10 cents-----13”


    These are all good numbers except for the very small nuggets that it will miss.


    Have a good one,
    Chet

    Leave a comment:


  • kingswood
    replied
    Originally posted by Chet View Post
    Hi Kingswood
    I find that the size and shape has a lot to do with the sound. I have found some nuggets that sound like nails. Some small boot tacks that sound like sweet nuggets. So it pays to dig most everything.
    Chet
    I plan on digging everything...First rule out here apparently
    Still doesnt answer why I thought I was getting a signal on the 0.16g nugget yesterday and then today nothing!..maybe I had it where something metal already was??

    Leave a comment:


  • Chet
    replied
    Hi Kingswood
    I find that the size and shape has a lot to do with the sound. I have found some nuggets that sound like nails. Some small boot tacks that sound like sweet nuggets. So it pays to dig most everything.
    Chet

    Leave a comment:


  • Chet
    replied
    Hi 6666
    The coin has a 10 on the backside. I do have Australian 1, 2 and 5 cent coins which I will also measure.
    Chet

    Leave a comment:


  • 6666
    replied
    Hi Chet thanks for the info, what are you calling a 2002 Australian Dime ? 5 cents

    Leave a comment:


  • kingswood
    replied
    Originally posted by Chet View Post
    Hi Kingswood


    The aluminum squares used below are 0.09 mm thick from the side of a coke can. Except the second 0.25” piece is from the bottom of the can and is 0.26 mm thick. Depth is in inches. The measurements are air tests inside with a high EMI environment. Sensitivity was set at 12. Detection was determined by seeing the first or second LED lite up.


    Size” Depth”
    0.25 Not detected
    0.25 3” This one is from the bottom of the can.
    0.4 1.8”
    0.5 4.4”
    1.0 12”
    1.5 17”
    1984 US Nickel 12”
    2002 Australian Dime 13”


    Have a good one,
    Chet
    Thanks for this I will cut up some Pepsi cans for next time out in the bush and see what depths I get!
    The 17" on 1.5" is pretty good!
    Is it true what they say that aluminium "sounds" most like gold?? (I am still quite new to detecting, especially with PI detectors!)

    Leave a comment:


  • Chet
    replied
    Hi Kingswood


    The aluminum squares used below are 0.09 mm thick from the side of a coke can. Except the second 0.25” piece is from the bottom of the can and is 0.26 mm thick. Depth is in inches. The measurements are air tests inside with a high EMI environment. Sensitivity was set at 12. Detection was determined by seeing the first or second LED lite up.


    Size” Depth”
    0.25 Not detected
    0.25 3” This one is from the bottom of the can.
    0.4 1.8”
    0.5 4.4”
    1.0 12”
    1.5 17”
    1984 US Nickel 12”
    2002 Australian Dime 13”


    Have a good one,
    Chet
    Last edited by Chet; 02-26-2017, 04:18 AM. Reason: correction

    Leave a comment:


  • Chet
    replied
    Hi Kingswood
    I just received a UK VMH3CS 2010 model yesterday. The smallest nugget that it will detect is a 0.3 gram at 1” with the gain at 12 in normal. Aluminum foil is too thin. Try the side of a coke can which is normally .09-.1 mm thick. I am in the process of making some more measurements. I will post them shortly.
    Have a good day,
    Chet

    Leave a comment:


  • kingswood
    replied
    Righto so something was going on yesterday....I took the 0.16g gold flake out of its plastic sleeve today and sticky taped it to a piece of cardboard.. No signal whatsoever from the Vallon with the nugget on the ground. Also tried a 1inch square of aluminium cooking foil sticky taped to cardboard and no signal either!!
    Can anyone explain that?? What was I picking up yesterday??!!! Even re-checked the cardboard with plastic sleeve that it came from ebay in to make sure there were no staples !!

    Leave a comment:


  • Teleno
    replied
    Originally posted by green View Post
    http://www.geotech1.com/forums/showt...768#post217768

    Why couldn't the Vallon detect the 1x1 inch aluminum foil which would be a short tau target in the above reply?
    Perhaps it has a shorter tau than the 0.1g nugget. Even if low taus are enhanced there's a minimum coil decay beyond which nothing can be detected.

    Leave a comment:


  • green
    replied
    Originally posted by Teleno View Post
    A normal PI discharges the coil on a resistor which causes an exponential decay. The derivative of the decay decreases with time.



    Te Vallon discharges the coil on a capacitor, which causes a quarter-cosine decay. The derivative of the decay increases with time.



    Targets with shorter tau respond to the derivative of the decay. Compared to a regular PI, for the same sampling delay the Vallon provides a derivative that's larger and therefore a larger signal for short tau targets.



    Why couldn't the Vallon detect the 1x1 inch aluminum foil which would be a short tau target in the above reply?

    Leave a comment:


  • Teleno
    replied
    Originally posted by Ferric Toes View Post
    0.1gm at 3in in normal mode and 2in in mineralised mode is extremely good. We are still struggling to explain how you get that sort of sensitivity with a 2mH coil that, on a 'normal' PI, you can't sample earlier than 20uS.

    Eric.
    A normal PI discharges the coil on a resistor which causes an exponential decay. The derivative of the decay decreases with time.



    Te Vallon discharges the coil on a capacitor, which causes a quarter-cosine decay. The derivative of the decay increases with time.



    Targets with shorter tau respond to the derivative of the decay. Compared to a regular PI, for the same sampling delay the Vallon provides a derivative that's larger and therefore a larger signal for short tau targets.
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X