Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PICKINI V4 - an easy to build, self adjusting PI detector

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tim
    replied
    Sounds like you should ditch the clone Marty and buy the original pickit........

    Leave a comment:


  • MartyJ1963
    replied
    Thanks to everyone for being so helpful,,really appreciate it. I found my old laptop out and installed it with windows 7 64-bit. I installed mplab v8.33, the same as F117,,,,I've gotten a bit further with it (Thankfully!),,,At least Mplab and Pickit 3 standalone software is now powering my target board. I think the Pickit 3 and software weren't liking the 32 bit OS cos' I'm a lot further now with the software on 64 bit than I was before. I'll keep trying and let you know how I do,,,Thanks everyone for perservering with me,,lol. Marty

    Leave a comment:


  • BC547
    replied
    waltr,
    my previous suggestion was intended for Marty.
    I also have a genuine Pickit3 and I always power the chip from the programmer.
    Best regards,
    - Bernard

    Leave a comment:


  • waltr
    replied
    I suggested several times to POWER the TARGET from another source.
    I never have gotten the PICKit3 to power the target and I bought my PICKit3 directly from Microchip so it is real.

    Leave a comment:


  • BC547
    replied
    Marty,
    as suggested already: can you try programming it using an external 5V power supply to the PCB with the PIC ?
    Disconnect the power from the PicKit to the PCB first !
    The only 3 signals to be controlled from the programmer are Vpp, clock and data...
    Not sure why you are having all this trouble ? You mentioned something about a Pickit "clone" ?

    Leave a comment:


  • MartyJ1963
    replied
    Hi all, thanks for the replies. I have tried several MPLAB Versions and I have 'Ticked' the power button in the settings but still can't get it to work. When I tick the power to target box and press apply the tick disappears out of the box. I've tried different Pickit 3 standalone software versions and they just keep crashing or freezing everytime I press 'Check communication'. I've tried 6 different cables in all of the 5 USB Ports on my pc. I'm wondering whether to find out my old laptop and install windows 7 64 bit on it,,,,Don't know what else to try. Thanks guys. Marty

    Leave a comment:


  • bernte_one
    replied
    i wrote this somewehre in this thread:

    i the Setting you can choose (in a list, and you have to set a hook)
    "power from programmer"

              PICKIT3  seems to be a DEGRADED version of PICKIT2 . PIC may be a Microcontroller Giant , but a newer version of Toolkit should be more user friendly th…


    Leave a comment:


  • BC547
    replied
    I am using MPLab v8.83 in Windows7 32-bit.
    All this in virtualbox under Ubuntu 16.04.

    The error: connect to target device is normal as long as the chip is not connected to the programmer or not powered.

    Not enough power to power the board ? - Did you try the PicKit on another USB port ?

    Leave a comment:


  • MartyJ1963
    replied
    Thanks Waltr,,,,,,The 'Check Communication' is in the Pickit 3 Standalone programmer,,,It won't detect my Pickit 3 and either freezes or crashes after I press 'Connect'. I did have the target board connected and I did select the PIC in the device list,, but it still gave the PK3Err0045: I don't know what voltages my USB ports provide so I'll do what you mentioned and get a powered usb hub and try that,,,,I've tried 6 different cables, all new, and still no difference,,,,I'll try the powered hub next,, I've tried everything else. Thanks again for your help Waltr. Marty

    Leave a comment:


  • waltr
    replied
    Re-check connections.
    From MLAB 8.92 there isn't a 'check communication'. I just click 'select programmer/PICKit3.
    An Output window opens with Status. I get:
    Code:
    PICkit 3 detected
    Connecting to PICkit 3...
    Running self test...
    Self test completed
    Firmware Suite Version...... 01.28.90
    Firmware type......................Enhanced Midrange
    PICkit 3 Connected.
    PK3Err0045: You must connect to a target device to use PICkit
     3.
    The error is due to not having a PIC target connected but it should show the PICKit3 connected.

    Did you select a PIC in MPLAB "Configure/Select Device"?

    Does the USB Port provide enough Voltage? I always use a Power USB Hub and check that it output 5+-0.2V
    Is the USB cable good - guessing you use the ne that came with the PICKit3. Still could be bad so try a different one.

    Last- Search the PICKit3 (MicroChip) user forums for the problem.

    Leave a comment:


  • MartyJ1963
    replied
    Thanks Waltr,,,,I cant upgrade to 64 bit because all my favourite software I use only run in 32 bit,,,,I tried mplab 8.92,,,no joy, still the same errors,,,,is there any other software or other way to program Pics? Thanks. Marty

    Leave a comment:


  • waltr
    replied
    when I tried to power the target board in the list it said not enough power to power the board
    Probably need external power. I never could get the PICKit3 to power the target.
    Do measure the Voltage on the target to ensure it is powered.

    I run Windows 8.1 Upgrade 64 bit and MPLAB 8.92.

    Leave a comment:


  • MartyJ1963
    replied
    Hi all,,,,Still no joy. I uninstalled all the software I'd used and re-installed them one by one to try with the pickit 3. 1st I tried Pickit 3 v1.0.0,,,it wouldn't recognise the Pickit 3 and after pressing the 'Check communication' button it would freeze or crash. I uninstalled that and tried Pickit 3 0.2.0.3,,,It was the same apart from once where it found the Pickit 3,,when I highlighted the pic16f1824 in the list the led on the little programmer I made earlier lit up,,,the next time I pressed a button it crashed again. I installed MPLABX V3.55,,,It found the pickit 3,,,,when I tried to power the target board in the list it said not enough power to power the board,,,I tried several voltages,,none worked. I am running Windows 7 32 bit. @F117, What OS are you on and which software do you use exactly?,,,Version/Build etc? Apart from 4 hours sleep earlier I've been at this now for nealy 2 days solid and it's getting a bit frustrating now,,,lol,,,Thanks in advance.

    Leave a comment:


  • MartyJ1963
    replied
    Great!,,,Thanks a lot for the reply and help F117,,,,I'll print it off then and get it etched and mount the parts and give it a try,,,,,I'll let you know in a couple of hours if I have any success in programming the chip. Thanks again. Marty

    Leave a comment:


  • BC547
    replied
    This looks ok to me, Marty.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X