Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Bipolar Boost TX and Front End

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • KingJL
    replied
    @Mdtoday, looking over the Log that you sent me, I do notice some strange entries:
    9:27:02 INFO : Registering command handlers for SDK TCF services
    09:27:03 INFO : Launching XSCT server: xsct.bat -interactive C:\Vivado\temp_xsdb_launch_script.tcl
    09:27:05 INFO : XSCT server has started successfully.
    09:27:05 INFO : Successfully done setting XSCT server connection channel
    09:27:05 INFO : Successfully done setting SDK workspace
    09:27:05 INFO : Processing command line option -hwspec C:/Vivado.
    09:27:05 ERROR : Error occurred while creating hardware platform Vivado_hw_platform_0 from sysdef

    Most notably:
    09:27:03 INFO : Launching XSCT server: xsct.bat -interactive C:\Vivado\temp_xsdb_launch_script.tcl
    and
    09:27:05 INFO : Processing command line option -hwspec C:/Vivado.

    Now compare those two lines with the same lines in the successful launch log entries in post #505

    Don't know why but the SDK lauch was somehow in error.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    @Mdtoday, I just created a new directory c:\test... unziped the new archive in it... started Vivado, cleared project list... Open Project... navigated to c:\test... selected Bipolar_PI.xpr. In Vivado went to File>Launch SDK... SDK started and rebuilt everything (make.all).

    Log:

    Registering command handlers for SDK TCF services
    21:28:28 INFO : Launching XSCT server: xsct.bat -interactive C:\test\Bipolar_PI.sdk\temp_xsdb_launch_script.tcl
    21:28:34 INFO : XSCT server has started successfully.
    21:28:35 INFO : Successfully done setting XSCT server connection channel
    21:28:35 INFO : Processing command line option -hwspec C:/test/Bipolar_PI.sdk/Bipolar_PI_wrapper.hdf.
    21:28:35 INFO : Successfully done setting SDK workspace
    21:38:36 INFO : Connected to target on host '127.0.0.1' and port '3121'.
    Thanks JL, I was using the same method as you outlined in post 502.

    Will now create another directory as your test and see how we go.

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    @Mdtoday, I just created a new directory c:\test... unziped the new archive in it... started Vivado, cleared project list... Open Project... navigated to c:\test... selected Bipolar_PI.xpr. In Vivado went to File>Launch SDK... SDK started and rebuilt everything (make.all).

    Log:

    Registering command handlers for SDK TCF services
    21:28:28 INFO : Launching XSCT server: xsct.bat -interactive C:\test\Bipolar_PI.sdk\temp_xsdb_launch_script.tcl
    21:28:34 INFO : XSCT server has started successfully.
    21:28:35 INFO : Successfully done setting XSCT server connection channel
    21:28:35 INFO : Processing command line option -hwspec C:/test/Bipolar_PI.sdk/Bipolar_PI_wrapper.hdf.
    21:28:35 INFO : Successfully done setting SDK workspace
    21:38:36 INFO : Connected to target on host '127.0.0.1' and port '3121'.

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    [QUOTE=KingJL;263798]
    Originally posted by Mdtoday View Post
    Try starting Vivado... Opening Bipolar_PI... open Block design. Top right should say "write bitsteam complete" with a green check mark. If so go to file > export > export hardware... (make sure that "include bitstream" is checked... accept all other defaults... click OK. After hardware export complete go to File > Launch SDK. Meanwhile I'll try to go over the logs.
    When you start vivado, before you open project, right click on any project in the project list and select clear list. m Then when you open project navigate to where the new project "Bipolar_PI.xpr" file is.

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    [QUOTE=KingJL;263798]
    Originally posted by Mdtoday View Post
    Try starting Vivado... Opening Bipolar_PI... open Block design. Top right should say "write bitsteam complete" with a green check mark. If so go to file > export > export hardware... (make sure that "include bitstream" is checked... accept all other defaults... click OK. After hardware export complete go to File > Launch SDK. Meanwhile I'll try to go over the logs.
    After starting SDK right click on "Bipolar_PI_app" > clean project. See if it will rebuild everything. After rebuild complete try Xilinx >> Program FPGA

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    [QUOTE=Mdtoday;263796]
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    There
    has been at least one reported issue with the last posted archive, so I re-crreated the archive just make sure the is not a corrupted link.

    Ther current project archive is now Vivado Bipolar_PI _Nextion(11-26-2019).zip

    Just use the new link as a precautionary measure.[/QUOTE

    @JL, here is a screenshot of the SDK errors I am getting. [ATTACH]48515[/ATTACH]
    The project is off the root directory, Vivado Projects/

    I have renamed all other previous Vivado project folders with prefix of AA_
    Try starting Vivado... Opening Bipolar_PI... open Block design. Top right should say "write bitsteam complete" with a green check mark. If so go to file > export > export hardware... (make sure that "include bitstream" is checked... accept all other defaults... click OK. After hardware export complete go to File > Launch SDK. Meanwhile I'll try to go over the logs.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    [QUOTE=KingJL;263790]There
    has been at least one reported issue with the last posted archive, so I re-crreated the archive just make sure the is not a corrupted link.

    Ther current project archive is now Vivado Bipolar_PI _Nextion(11-26-2019).zip

    Just use the new link as a precautionary measure.[/QUOTE

    @JL, here is a screenshot of the SDK errors I am getting. Click image for larger version

Name:	SDK_Errors.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	355763
    The project is off the root directory, Vivado Projects/

    I have renamed all other previous Vivado project folders with prefix of AA_

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    New Vivado Project Archive

    There
    has been at least one reported issue with the last posted archive, so I re-crreated the archive just make sure the is not a corrupted link.

    Ther current project archive is now Vivado Bipolar_PI _Nextion(11-26-2019).zip

    Just use the new link as a precautionary measure.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    The waveforms of a properly configured M6 & M7 should give a better picture of the positive peak. I think the measurement will need to be between gate and source vs gate and gnd (it should work with no coil attacehed, but do not do this with a coil attached) as the gate is completely floating during M6 and M7 off time.
    Thanks JL, I will take those measurements and post the results.

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Originally posted by Mdtoday View Post
    ... I think you are right on the gains above 4:1. 19 turns yielded no noticeable increase on these cores. 18 seems to be the reasonable limit.
    The waveforms of a properly configured M6 & M7 should give a better picture of the positive peak. I think the measurement will need to be between gate and source vs gate and gnd (it should work with no coil attacehed, but do not do this with a coil attached) as the gate is completely floating during M6 and M7 off time.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    Well, I glad you sorted that out as I was wondering what to use to secure the windings. I thought there might be an issues with superglue as I think it would desolve the insulation.I don't think you will see the relational gains abpove 4:1... you are fighting the the zener. During simulations, I have seen overdriving the zener changes the off condition reference, often raising it to about 2 - 3 V.
    Yes, the superglue did surprise me a little but lesson learned.

    I think you are right on the gains above 4:1. 19 turns yielded no noticeable increase on these cores. 18 seems to be the reasonable limit.

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Originally posted by Mdtoday View Post
    I was wondering why, if I wound a transformer with same primary turns, same gauge wires and just increased the amount secondary turns with near identical gauge wires, would I measure only 5v Pk-Pk pulses.
    Well, the answer is the inductance was decreased by using super-glue to hold the windings. Rewound a couple more without using super glue to hold the windings in place and all was good again.
    Even completely drying the superglue did not help. Won't be doing that again. When not cured I can see the problem but not dried.
    Normally I use a nail-polish type glue that I use on trim pots but I was in a hurry to finish the 4 transformers and thought I'd be smart and dowse them in superglue...not a great idea.
    Well, I glad you sorted that out as I was wondering what to use to secure the windings. I thought there might be an issues with superglue as I think it would desolve the insulation.
    The 2 new ones I did rewind, were 4 turns primary 22g magnet wire, 16 turns of teflon coated 28g wire for the secondary on one and 18 turns on the second transformer.
    See attached for waveforms.

    [ATTACH]48513[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH]48514[/ATTACH]

    I think I will wind another 4 units with 19 turns on the secondary and test again, there is room for 20 turns comfortably but as JL has stated, we do not want to test the limits of Vgs
    I don't think you will see the relational gains abpove 4:1... you are fighting the the zener. During simulations, I have seen overdriving the zener changes the off condition reference, often raising it to about 2 - 3 V.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Originally posted by Mdtoday View Post

    I spent some time making up 4 new transformers but they failed to produce more than 5v. I used 0.36mm x 16 turns on secondary and 0.63 x 4 turns on primary. Both were enamelled wire. Bit disappointing but I will recheck again in the morning to see where it went wrong.
    Installed the original transformer modules and back to last night's voltages.
    I was wondering why, if I wound a transformer with same primary turns, same gauge wires and just increased the amount secondary turns with near identical gauge wires, would I measure only 5v Pk-Pk pulses.
    Well, the answer is the inductance was decreased by using super-glue to hold the windings. Rewound a couple more without using super glue to hold the windings in place and all was good again.
    Even completely drying the superglue did not help. Won't be doing that again. When not cured I can see the problem but not dried.
    Normally I use a nail-polish type glue that I use on trim pots but I was in a hurry to finish the 4 transformers and thought I'd be smart and dowse them in superglue...not a great idea.

    The 2 new ones I did rewind, were 4 turns primary 22g magnet wire, 16 turns of teflon coated 28g wire for the secondary on one and 18 turns on the second transformer.
    See attached for waveforms.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	M1_Gate_16 turns 28g.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	355761
    Click image for larger version

Name:	M1_Gate_18Turns_28g.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	355762

    I think I will wind another 4 units with 19 turns on the secondary and test again, there is room for 20 turns comfortably but as JL has stated, we do not want to test the limits of Vgs

    Leave a comment:


  • waltr
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    There is an error in the schematic for the New Bipolar Boost TX and Front End that results in the DAMP signal sent to the DAMP MOSFET's being inverted. But the problem can be fixed by swapping the DAMP_s and DAMP_e signals set by the FPGA to the TX/RX board. The swap is accomplished by editing the constraints file to reflect the swap of signals.

    This problem is now fixed in the new project archive, Vivado Bipolar_PI _Nextion(11-24-2019).zip

    I need to revisit the schematics and change the Labels on the nets goint to the EL7202's for M6 and M7. It really does not physically change anything on the PCB layout... it is just changing signal names.
    That is the beauty of programmable devices for control. No cutting or soldering just build a new image and load.

    Great progress guys.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    There is an error in the schematic for the New Bipolar Boost TX and Front End that results in the DAMP signal sent to the DAMP MOSFET's being inverted. But the problem can be fixed by swapping the DAMP_s and DAMP_e signals set by the FPGA to the TX/RX board. The swap is accomplished by editing the constraints file to reflect the swap of signals.

    This problem is now fixed in the new project archive, Vivado Bipolar_PI _Nextion(11-24-2019).zip

    I need to revisit the schematics and change the Labels on the nets goint to the EL7202's for M6 and M7. It really does not physically change anything on the PCB layout... it is just changing signal names.
    Thanks for posting JL, an easy fix for sure. I will try this one later today and post screen shots.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X