Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Bipolar Boost TX and Front End

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    May I make a suggestion? Do not mount the 4 MOSFETs until the gate voltages can be verified... the toroids may need tweaking. On the toroids that I have, I remove one winding. The remaining coil has 14 turns of wire and i compress and tighten these windings on one half of the core. Then I wind 4 turns of 22AWG or 24AWG tightly in the center of the remaining half with the direction of the wind being the same as the remaining winding. All of this results 15+ volt gate drive. Five turns results about 12-13V .
    Ok, yes that is a good idea to verify the gate drive, thanks for the info on the windings

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    Also, on the current version, the output of the target CIC filter has about a 72 db gain. In the next version the Target CIC will have a gain of 1. The RX signal form the XADC will be 24db above the actual measured value(left shifted 4 bits). This does not actually increase the gain, but does give a better realized target resolution granularity when averaged through the CIC filter. If you wish, I can post this version as there will not be much change in the next 2 weeks... I have some personal commitments that I must fulfill. I can wrap it up in an archive and post it later today.
    Excellent, yes that would be good thank you

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Originally posted by Mdtoday View Post
    ... so next week I will be concentrating on loading 2 or 3 sets of those boards for testing...
    May I make a suggestion? Do not mount the 4 MOSFETs until the gate voltages can be verified... the toroids may need tweaking. On the toroids that I have, I remove one winding. The remaining coil has 14 turns of wire and i compress and tighten these windings on one half of the core. Then I wind 4 turns of 22AWG or 24AWG tightly in the center of the remaining half with the direction of the wind being the same as the remaining winding. All of this results 15+ volt gate drive. Five turns results about 12-13V .

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    Also, on the current version, the output of the target CIC filter has about a 72 db gain. In the next version the Target CIC will have a gain of 1. The RX signal form the XADC will be 24db above the actual measured value(left shifted 4 bits). This does not actually increase the gain, but does give a better realized target resolution granularity when averaged through the CIC filter. If you wish, I can post this version as there will not be much change in the next 2 weeks... I have some personal commitments that I must fulfill. I can wrap it up in an archive and post it later today.
    New archive that contains fixes for the items listed above is Vivado_Bipolar_PI(9-12-2019).zip

    Change log:
    Change Log.txt

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Originally posted by Mdtoday View Post
    ...l have not run the latest application yet, was planning to do that over the weekend...
    Also, on the current version, the output of the target CIC filter has about a 72 db gain. In the next version the Target CIC will have a gain of 1. The RX signal form the XADC will be 24db above the actual measured value(left shifted 4 bits). This does not actually increase the gain, but does give a better realized target resolution granularity when averaged through the CIC filter. If you wish, I can post this version as there will not be much change in the next 2 weeks... I have some personal commitments that I must fulfill. I can wrap it up in an archive and post it later today.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    If you have run the application, you will notice that the S0 sample is always "0".

    ... now we have S0! The simulator synthesizer does not trim integer signals/variables to implement the range limitation. This fix will be included in the next posted version.
    Thank you for the update JL, l have not run the latest application yet, was planning to do that over the weekend.
    This is a large and well thought out and logically ordered project you have put together.

    Received parts from LCSC today, mainly JST connector sets and relays. JLPCB have finally dispatched the power supply and 2 probe PCBs so will see them Monday.
    Although I have only 2 relays, all other parts have arrived including a PMOD style connector kit you put me onto a few week back, so next week I will be concentrating on loading 2 or 3 sets of those boards for testing.
    I will PM you when they are completed, tested and ready to send. Will also 3D print more internal enclosures and forward on some extra blank boards.

    cheers

    Mdtoday

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Missing sample 0

    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    ... The current project version is Vivado_Bipolar_PI(9-10-2019).zip ...
    If you have run the application, you will notice that the S0 sample is always "0". I had checked the read register code in the application, the read register VHDL in the hardware design, and the RX XADC read code... and could find nothing. I changed the code to provide a "valid" bit in the high byte of the word provided to the register manager. Still no entry into register_set(4), which is the S0 slot. It was as if S0 was never requested. A recheck of the VHDL revealed nothing... a simulation run of the TX-RX module showed all samples clearly requested and stored in the register set. But in actual operation still no S0 (register_set(4). Finally found the culprit... the integer "range" of a local variable "local_cntr" was set to "0 to 150" and the count value being tested for was 200. Changed the range "0 to 500" and re-senthesized, implemented, generated the bitstream, and executed the application... now we have S0! The simulator synthesizer does not trim integer signals/variables to implement the range limitation. This fix will be included in the next posted version.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    Implemented and integrated the FIR finishing filter peripheral. The FIR filter is implemented as a 1 channel FIR with 2 parallel paths for S1 and S2. Changed the debug printouts within the main() while(1) loop to print the notification of the interrupts and the corresponding filter output values for the filter interrupts.


    Only one hardware peripheral definition left to design/integrate... the audio peripheral.
    ....
    For those that are downloading and saving the archives, the previous version that was posted (Vivado_Bipolar_PI(10-6-2019).zip should be renamed Vivado_Bipolar_PI(9-6-2019).zip. I guess I was time traveling and did not realize it. I am surprised that I did not hear some flak about that. Please rename it so that that the actual latest version does not get confused.
    Excellent work as usual JL!

    Looking great. Must admit I didn't notice the date on the last Zip file..

    I still have not received the Power and Probe switch PCB's , JLPCB have been a bit slow this time round, normally I have them in 5 days from order date but I had to contact them 3 times as they had completed only 2 boards, they hadn't started the probe switch until early yesterday, now they are just sitting in waiting for pick up. I mean its still a whole lot quicker than by-gone years when we would have to pay a small fortune for tooling and wait 6-12 weeks but I was hoping to have them for this weekend to load...never mind, these thing s happen. I suspect because the Mid-Autumn holidays in China start on the 13th and last for 3 days, we may not see them for another week. I could only purchase 2 Kemet relays from LCSC too, so looking for another supplier atm.

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    One down... one to go

    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    ... There only 2 hardware definitions left to integrate into the design. (1) A 2 channel (for samples 1 & 2) 16 tap finishing FIR filter that will both sharpen/narrow the passband and compensate for the unlinearity of the passband of the CIC filter processing. (2) An audio peripheral that will provide a 1 bit DAC audio out signal based on the digital voltage signal.

    After those 2 modules are added, we can focus on the code to tie everything all together ...
    Implemented and integrated the FIR finishing filter peripheral. The FIR filter is implemented as a 1 channel FIR with 2 parallel paths for S1 and S2. Changed the debug printouts within the main() while(1) loop to print the notification of the interrupts and the corresponding filter output values for the filter interrupts.


    Only one hardware peripheral definition left to design/integrate... the audio peripheral.


    The current Bipolar PI design:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Bipolar PI Design.png
Views:	1
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	354878

    The change log:
    Change Log.txt

    The current project version is Vivado_Bipolar_PI(9-10-2019).zip

    For those that are downloading and saving the archives, the previous version that was posted (Vivado_Bipolar_PI(10-6-2019).zip should be renamed Vivado_Bipolar_PI(9-6-2019).zip. I guess I was time traveling and did not realize it. I am surprised that I did not hear some flak about that. Please rename it so that that the actual latest version does not get confused.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    To further illustrate the effects of the FIR finishing filter:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]47352[/ATTACH]
    The left side (CIC Filter)represents the bandpass of the Target_CIC filter in the Bipolar PI design. The right side (FIR Compensation Filter) shows the effects of the FIR finishing filter in the Bipolar PI design. The "Global" plot lines represent the resultant passband. In the design, the reason that this filter is referred to as "FIR finishing filter" is to not convey the inference that this filter contributes any ground "compensation" capability. Actually, we will be using the outputs of the "slow" (0.333 Hz - 0.005 Hz selectable in 10 steps) CIC filter to provide ground mineralization compensation capability and also SAT capability.
    Nice!, thanks for sharing

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    ... There only 2 hardware definitions left to integrate into the design. (1) A 2 channel (for samples 1 & 2) 16 tap finishing FIR filter that will both sharpen/narrow the passband and compensate for the unlinearity of the passband of the CIC filter processing...
    To further illustrate the effects of the FIR finishing filter:
    integration filter.pdf
    The left side (CIC Filter)represents the bandpass of the Target_CIC filter in the Bipolar PI design. The right side (FIR Compensation Filter) shows the effects of the FIR finishing filter in the Bipolar PI design. The "Global" plot lines represent the resultant passband. In the design, the reason that this filter is referred to as "FIR finishing filter" is to not convey the inference that this filter contributes any ground "compensation" capability. Actually, we will be using the outputs of the "slow" (0.333 Hz - 0.005 Hz selectable in 10 steps) CIC filter to provide ground mineralization compensation capability and also SAT capability.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    Made major moves forward this week. Developed a parameterized interface peripheral ip to control the Xilinx CIC ip...

    After those 2 modules are added, we can focus on the code to tie everything all together.
    Brilliant work JL, well done and thanks for sharing, looking really good!

    I have ordered more boards which we should see in 2 or 3 days which I will load and test and send on to you.
    Have yet to order the relay, I keep forgetting...

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Progress!!!

    Made major moves forward this week. Developed a parameterized interface peripheral ip to control the Xilinx CIC ip. Now if we decide to change the number of channels, input width, or output width all we need to do is change the parameters of the IP rather than having to edit and repackage the ip. Used this ip to add 3 CIC filter peripherals to the design. All interrupts are functioning as desired. The embedded processor is now interrupted when data is available from the RX, target CIC filter, sample_0 CIC filter, mineralization CIC filter, and all user input actions. The upc does not spend any time polling for any data. And all filter processing of data is offloaded to concurrent processing peripherals.

    The previous problems encountered with not getting RX interrupts was really a blessing in disguise... I just wish it had not taken 2 weeks of excruciating mental stress. The current design allows much more flexibility in use and function of the filter processing and actually opens up new opportunities/options. The Target CIC filter is a concurrent 3 channel (for S1, S2,S3 samples) programmable rate filter and provides the first stage of processing of the target data. The S0 filter is a single channel programmable rate CIC filter and is used for tuning/adjusting damp timing and also for obtaining the RX offset compensation. The mineralization filter is an extremely slow (ranges from 0.333 Hz - 0.005 Hz) 3 channel programmable rate filter that takes the output of the target CIC filter.

    There only 2 hardware definitions left to integrate into the design. (1) A 2 channel (for samples 1 & 2) 16 tap finishing FIR filter that will both sharpen/narrow the passband and compensate for the unlinearity of the passband of the CIC filter processing. (2) An audio peripheral that will provide a 1 bit DAC audio out signal based on the digital voltage signal.

    After those 2 modules are added, we can focus on the code to tie everything all together.

    The current design:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Bipolar PI.png
Views:	1
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	354847

    Change log:
    Change Log.txt


    Current project archive is Vivado_Bipolar_PI(10-6-2019).zip

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Originally posted by Mdtoday View Post
    Ok, will do the changes
    Changes completed Probe_switch_round2_10.zip

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Probe_2_10.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	354841

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    Let's go with it!
    Ok, will do the changes

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X