Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Bipolar Boost TX and Front End

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • KingJL
    replied
    Originally posted by Mdtoday View Post
    Thanks JL, getting there.
    I noticed a small problem with using the MT3608 modules, reading the specs, they are only a boost mode device, I thought they were buck/boost.
    I don't have delivery of my modules yet, so I can't test.
    I had thought the batteries would be in series ~7.2v which is fine for the 20v but while drawing up the layout, I thought I would check the device specs and noticed the Boost only mode.
    This would mean the 5 and 3v3 would not work on 2 series connect cells (I think anyway)
    If this is the case, then we can simply use 2 x 18650 in parallel ~ 3.6-4v output and put a diode in series with the module used for 3v3 output.
    As I say, I don't have my modules yet so can't check and maybe I've missed something but best to ask the question...

    Cheers

    Mdtoday
    so far in all of my projects, I have only used them with 3 and 4.5 volt inputs... and I had not yet used them to generate 3.3V.,, it was always 5V and higher. I probably need to hook one up and test for generating 3.3V.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    Looking fantastic!!
    Thanks JL, getting there.
    I noticed a small problem with using the MT3608 modules, reading the specs, they are only a boost mode device, I thought they were buck/boost.
    I don't have delivery of my modules yet, so I can't test.
    I had thought the batteries would be in series ~7.2v which is fine for the 20v but while drawing up the layout, I thought I would check the device specs and noticed the Boost only mode.
    This would mean the 5 and 3v3 would not work on 2 series connect cells (I think anyway)
    If this is the case, then we can simply use 2 x 18650 in parallel ~ 3.6-4v output and put a diode in series with the module used for 3v3 output.
    As I say, I don't have my modules yet so can't check and maybe I've missed something but best to ask the question...

    Cheers

    Mdtoday

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Looking fantastic!!

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    I have been busy on the power supply PCB layout for the posted enclosure design.
    Still some tidy-up work to do on it, mainly the library inclusions and ground pours. I will post KiCad files later tomorrow.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	KingJL_Power_Module.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	354721

    Click image for larger version

Name:	KingJL_Power_Module2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	354722

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Layout_1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	354723

    Click image for larger version

Name:	schematic_1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	354724

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    @Mdtoday, What version of Vivado did you download and install (2018.2, 2018.3, 2019.1, etc)? I am thinking of migrating to 2019.1... it has some advanced features that come standard with the webpack license that are extra cost items with 2018.3 and below. Partial reconfiguration being one. Also i suspect a few quirks of 2018.3 have been quietly fixed!
    Version 2018.3 JL, I'll check out the 2019.1 version, thanks for the heads up.

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    @Mdtoday, What version of Vivado did you download and install (2018.2, 2018.3, 2019.1, etc)? I am thinking of migrating to 2019.1... it has some advanced features that come standard with the webpack license that are extra cost items with 2018.3 and below. Partial reconfiguration being one. Also i suspect a few quirks of 2018.3 have been quietly fixed!

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    ... Hope to have all menus and menu items working by the end of the week...
    Well, I did not meet my goals for the week. I seem to have created a problem somewhere in my hardware definition (probably when I updated the TX_RX ip to sync changes in the status register and the parameter register set) where i am not generating interrupts from the TX_RX module or that microblaze is for some reason not acting on them. All other interrupts are working properly. Vivado sometime does not pull in all of the required pieces when an ip is modified and is difficult to get the issue corrected. I am going to have to become familiar with the Vivado/Xilinx Integrated Logic Analyzer (ILA) to see if I can pinpoint the issue. I want to sort that out before I forge ahead.

    Leave a comment:


  • green
    replied
    Originally posted by green View Post
    Could someone help could not open include file "spdt . sub" what do I need to do? Tried to open .sub file, don't know what to do with it. Why do I have to reenter all my pass words after clicking on a .sub file? Not a computer person.
    Change the extension from .txt to .sub. You never want to double click a .sub (or a .mod or lib file for that matter). If you want to view the contents right click and select "open with" and the select a suitable editor (notepad, worpad, etc.). Put the .sub file in the working directory of your current schematic or put it in the "LTSPICE".../lib/sub directory.

    NOTE: the spdt.sub file was included in the zip of post #4 of this thread
    from reply#62

    Thanks for the reply. Still haven't figured it out. Why aren't the switches drawn on the schematic? Apologize for the questions, computers and I don't speak the same language.
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Power PCB Option1

    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    The more I think about this, the more I like it. It may also be a convenient/logical place for this minimal circuit that is required for Pin Point.

    I was going to include it with the probe switch circuit, but was not really satisfied with that approach as not all would wish to include the probe circuit. But the PP switch is required in all configurations and so is power. It only requires 2 resistors and 3 connection pins (3.3V to PP switch, PP switch to pull down(junction of R1 & R2), and a connection for Pmod j4 pin 7 to current limiting resistor(R1)).
    Thanks for the info, sounds like a good option, I have attached a Kicad project showing the board outline, modules and keep-out areas around battery holder mounting pillars.
    The PCB and module size are correct 1:1 however I have yet to draft the battery holder library and recheck libraries, had family over today.
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Originally posted by Mdtoday View Post
    JL, I have been working on another option for this particular enclosure... The cost of the board would be minimal, a little less wiring... Just a thought for this enclosure
    The more I think about this, the more I like it. It may also be a convenient/logical place for this minimal circuit that is required for Pin Point.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PP switch.png
Views:	1
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	354715
    I was going to include it with the probe switch circuit, but was not really satisfied with that approach as not all would wish to include the probe circuit. But the PP switch is required in all configurations and so is power. It only requires 2 resistors and 3 connection pins (3.3V to PP switch, PP switch to pull down(junction of R1 & R2), and a connection for Pmod j4 pin 7 to current limiting resistor(R1)).

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Connector placed on PCB , mating to female inline wire tail connector.

    Position shown can be changed to right hand side looking from front of enclosure, depends on position of power switch

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Pwr_module_con1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	354706

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    JL, I have been working on another option for this particular enclosure, its not developed fully for this particular design but is the general layout I use for my power sources albeit with different circuits.

    Battery holder one side, power supply and protection on the other.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	PSS_Bat_PCB_OPtion.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	354703
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PSS_Bat_Option2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	354704
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PSS_Bat_Option3.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	354705

    I still have the full discrete wire version as per last post as I do understand your modular approach but thought I would put this forward as another option for this particular enclosure.

    I envisaged a single row header friction lock 4 or 6 pins mounted on the rear of the PCB with a cutout into the main enclosure.
    If a 6pin connector is used, this would carry Gnd, +20, +5, +3v , Bat+, SW Bat+.
    If a 4 pin connector is used then just Gnd, +20, +5, +3v.

    If the 4 x support pillars in the enclosure were moved to corners of the PCB, this may give enough space to include the coil switch circuit, a cut-out in the rear wall to account for the relay height would be required.

    The cost of the board would be minimal, a little less wiring

    Just a thought for this enclosure

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    Originally posted by KingJL View Post
    I like your preference... and there will be 3 modules used; 5V, 20V, and 3.3V (the only Pmod that is fed 3.3V from the Cmod-A7 is JA (the Cmod-A7 Pmod). The Pmods on the I/F PCB require 3.3V connected to through hole J7).
    Excellent, wiring will be easier and thanks for reminding me of the 3rd module.
    I have modified the positions of the modules and added pillars and supports for the Battery holder, along with 2 x 10mm holes through to main electronics area

    Click image for larger version

Name:	KingJL_enclosure_Bat_PSS3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	354686
    Click image for larger version

Name:	KingJL_enclosure_Bat_PSS4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	354687
    Click image for larger version

Name:	KingJL_enclosure_Bat_PSS5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	354688
    Click image for larger version

Name:	KingJL_enclosure_BAT_PSS6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	354689

    Leave a comment:


  • KingJL
    replied
    Originally posted by Mdtoday View Post
    ... Vertical left rear (or right) [ATTACH]47142[/ATTACH] , [ATTACH]47136[/ATTACH] , [ATTACH]47137[/ATTACH] which is my preference for ease of wiring...
    Both versions would be clip in type mount...
    I like your preference... and there will be 3 modules used; 5V, 20V, and 3.3V (the only Pmod that is fed 3.3V from the Cmod-A7 is JA (the Cmod-A7 Pmod). The Pmods on the I/F PCB require 3.3V connected to through hole J7).

    Leave a comment:


  • Mdtoday
    replied
    More work on the enclosure, included options for switching power supply module positions

    Vertical left rear (or right) Click image for larger version

Name:	KingJL_enclosure_PS1_Aspect.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	354682 , Click image for larger version

Name:	KingJL_enclosure _PST1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	354676 , Click image for larger version

Name:	KingJL_enclosure_PSB1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	354677 which is my preference for ease of wiring

    Vertical mounted into slots Click image for larger version

Name:	SMPS_mount2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	354681 either side of battery carrier on rear wall

    Click image for larger version

Name:	KingJL_enclosure_PST2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	354678 , Click image for larger version

Name:	KingJL_enclosure_PSR2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	354679 , Click image for larger version

Name:	KingJL_enclosure_PSS2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	354680 useful if voltage requires adjustment

    Both versions would be clip in type mount
    Last edited by Mdtoday; 08-15-2019, 06:52 AM. Reason: attachments

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X