Sidescan Sonar Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sidescan Sonar Systems

We are a small environmental consulting firm, and we are in need of leasing a Sidescan Sonar System (SSS) for a few upcoming projects. We are going to have to map seagrass beds as well as oyster beds and shellfish beds. Is there a particular type of SSS that is preferable for one of these habitat types over another? That is, would one particular SSS be more effective at mapping seagrass as opposed to oyster beds, and is there another that would be better at mapping oyster beds as oppposed to seagrass? Thanks in advance.

Or, if nobody knows if there is one more suitable than another, any recommendations as to what kind of sidescan system we should rent are absolutely welcome. Looking for best quality we can get at a reasonable price (obviously...)

Comment

How deep are these beds? The Humminbird Units always come to mind for shallow water. They are inexpensive and offer ease of use.

Good Luck,

RGecy

Comment

Eeel grass survey with SSS

I will be doing an eel grass survey with an Edgetech 4125 SSS this Friday July 24th.

I will let you know what the data looks like.

Comment

Oyster beds vs eel grass.

One other thing you should concider when deciding on a SSS that will do both well is getting a dual frequency SSS.

Lower frequency for oyster bed surveys and a higher frequency for eel grass.

Comment

I have just completed a eel grass survey using an Edgetech 4125 SSS @900 KHz.

THe system was easily able to detect the boundy between the grass and sand.

I have produced a small mosaic of the area. If anybody is interested let me know and I can e-mail it to you.

Regards,

Rob

Comment

We do a lot of shallow water mapping using an EdgeTech 272TD at 500 (390) kHz, and have excellent results mapping eelgrass beds, as well as eelgrass that has been transplanted into smaller clumps. Higher frequency is great, but you can certainly get the job done with 500 kHz.

Where are you located, and what kind of water depths are you looking at?

Comment

"DeepVision" side scan sonar

Hello All !
                I'm interrested in a side scan sonar from "Deep Vision" - www.deepvision.se

Is there any "end-user", who can answer me a few questions?
                I would be interrested in more images and detailed experiences...

Thank You for each reply!
                Regards from Austria
                Stefan

Comment

Sea grass mapping

Most survey-type Side-Scan Sonars can be used for sea grass beds mapping. Most of them are now digital and dual-frequency (simultaneous or not). Typical frequencies are around 100kHz and 400kHz.
                  - The lower frequency can be used either for long range mapping (higher coverage) and sediment mapping since it better differentiates seabeds of different backscattering properties.
                  - The higher frequency will be used for shallow water (reduced range) and higher resolutions.

Nowadays, a new range of SSS proposes a still higher frequency between 900 and 1250kHz that produces "photo-like" very high resolution maps.
                  So, if you are working in shallow to very shallow water, one of those new sonars can be a good choice to make a best possible coverage at 400kHz or crystal clear images for identification at 1250kHz. Then off course, a good positioning, processing and mosaicking software like DELPH Sonar must be used to get the best contouring of sea grass areas. Have a look at some pictures on our web-site (http://delph.ixsea.com).

Comment

Side scan system

Hello Anamar Environmental,

Have you found a suitable SSS for your survey?

I can offer an EG&G 272TD dual frequency fish and recording system if required

Regards

Roger Chippendale

Comment

Originally posted by ANAMAR Environmental View Post
                      We are a small environmental consulting firm, and we are in need of leasing a Sidescan Sonar System (SSS) for a few upcoming projects. We are going to have to map seagrass beds as well as oyster beds and shellfish beds. Is there a particular type of SSS that is preferable for one of these habitat types over another? That is, would one particular SSS be more effective at mapping seagrass as opposed to oyster beds, and is there another that would be better at mapping oyster beds as oppposed to seagrass? Thanks in advance.
                      Hello Anamar Environmental,

Have you found a suitable SSS for your survey?

I can offer an EG&G 272TD dual frequency fish and recording system if required

Regards

Roger Chippendale

email [email protected]

Comment

Hello Stefan N. ,
                        are your questions with respect to deepvision sidescan sonar already answered ?

cheers piebook

Comment

Hey Rob, Do you have any side scan sonar images of the grass beds? I am about to conduct a survey that includes oyster beds and grass beds. I know the oysterbeds will show up ok, but I'm concerened about identifying the grassbeds?
                          Thanks,
                          Jeremy

Comment

Jeremy,

Hi frequency side scam sonar systems are very efficient in mapping grass beds. attached are a couple example images.

Garry Kozak

www.2kozak.com
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X